Start by marking “Leave It to Psmith” as Want to Read:
Leave It to Psmith

Leave It to Psmith (Psmith #4)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  5,040 ratings  ·  363 reviews
The Hon. Freddie Threepwood is in financial difficulties of his own devising, along with his henpecked uncle. Dim brained Freddie wants to marry the elusive Eve Halliday, while his Uncle Joe wants to raise money to help out his runaway stepdaughter.
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published March 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Leave It to Psmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leave It to Psmith

In trying to explain to my husband exactly why I find Wodehouse so laugh-out-loud funny, I used this passage: "One uses the verb 'descend' advisedly, for what is required is some word suggesting instantaneous activity. About Baxter's progress from the second floor to the first there was nothing halting or hesitating. He, so to speak, did it now." This is a brilliant example of Wodehouse's ability to put it just so, - how can you explain this any better? "Planting his food firmly on a golf-ball w ...more

It is the opinion of most thoughtful students of life that happiness in this world depends chiefly on the ability to take things as they come.

When his life starts to smell too strongly of Fish, Psmith feels the need for a change of scenery. I have become acquainted with Psmith (the 'P' is silent) during his college days at Wreckam where he dazzled his colleagues with his nonchalant atitude, his well-cut suits, his ability to fast-talk his way out of the troubles brought about by his love
This was a delightful book, quintessential Wodehouse. The hero, Psmith ("the p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan"), is a triumph of characterization, urbane, resilient, clever, utterly unflappable, altogether unlike Bertie Wooster (perhaps somewhat closer to Jeeves, though not a valet), from the same pen. I believe that this is only one of a series of novels PFW wrote featuring Psmith, and I would love to read more.

I struggle to understand and describe what makes Wodehouse such a
Reading P. G. Wodehouse can dispel the clouds, bring tulips into bloom in the dead of winter, make adorable putti with parchment scrolls fly around your head, and elicit a hardy laugh at all times. If you have never read Wodehouse, I am deeply sorry for you.

Leave It to Psmith is not the best of his novels, but it is as good a place to start exploring his inexhaustible array of country houses, eccentric gentry, American gunmen and their molls, deranged poetesses, rank impostors, hateful and effic
APOLOGY - due to circumstances beyond my control, there are a lot of funny passages in this review.

Everyone can remember where they were when they read their first Wodehouse - it's up there along with your first kiss, where you were when you heard John Lennon was dead or the first time you spelled "occurred" without checking it out. I was twelve, in bed with flu, and my father brought me a bottle of Lucozade, and a couple of books he'd found in a jumble sale - Black Sheep and Leave It to Psmith.
Idyllic Blandings Castle is to play host to literary guests, including poets and poseurs, much to Lord Emsworth's dismay. His sister, Lady Constance Keeble, organises their arrival at Blandings, mostly for her own amusement. Lady Constance owns a valuable diamond necklace that she wishes to wear at the house party. Word of this necklace gets about! The entangled plot involves imposters, secretaries, poets, burglars, butlers, maids and a budding romance.

Wodehouse writes with beautiful description
Word goes 'round the net . . . Don loves this book!

I highly recommend this one over all of the Jeeves and Wooster novels. Psmith must have been the inspiration for Bugs Bunny, not in the sense of wacky antics, but more in his ability to talk himself into or out of any situation. Psmith's misplaced self-confidence is the perfect vehicle for Woodhouse's dry British humor. The language alone is worth experiencing.
No one does British humor better than P.G. Wodehouse. His books consistently make me laugh out loud. Best known for the Jeeves and Bertie Wooster series (which is also excellent), Wodehouse wrote over 90 books in his career as well as a few different series. One of these series were the Psmith books. In my opinion, Psmith (pronounced "Smith," with the "p" being silent but giving proper distinction)is his most eccentric, charming, and original character. Because Psmith is so original and clever a ...more
Heartily enjoyed my first Wodehouse. Review Tuesday.
Wodehouse. He is a genius.

Please know that I do understand what the word "genius" implies, and in his field, this man was a genius. Yes, he is funny. That is now far beyond scrutiny. Yes, he has some pretty clever ideas for stories. But both of these things only give a very limited vision as to the magnitude of his abilities. He knows just how to turn a phrase. A simile, a statement of fact, a single, simple description--these are things that Wodehouse knows how to convert from the mundane, ord
Hands down, one of PG Wodehouse's best books, and - at almost 300 pages - with a surprisingly negligible amount of garrulous padding. And the title character, Psmith? As verbose as they come, yet so full of charm, you cannot help but like the guy. Humour, love, assumed identities, misunderstandings - in short, everything we love about Wodehouse's books - it's all here. And to top it all off, one of the best endings I've read: all wrapped up neatly, and oh so perfectly. A gem!
What a relief to read something genuinely funny and enjoyable! P.G. Wodehouse is incredible.
Leave it to Smith is a rambling, interconnected story about a diamond necklace, several schemes to steal said necklace, and a man named Psmith (the P is silent) hired to assist with those schemes. Though I suppose Psmith is the main character, the novel does an incredible job narrating several plot points and providing a great, entangled romp of a story.
If I have one complaint, it would be that
Dan Schwent
Leave it to Psmith is probably the best of the best as far as P.G. Wodehouse goes. If only he'd written more than four Psmith books.
S Prakash
A laugh a line is what makes it a riot of raucous laughter. Psmith( P silent as in Psychology), with his entourage of friends, acquaintances, buffoons and imposters sets the stage for non stop guffaws at Lord Emsworth's Blandings Castle. Each of the characters have singular obsessons; like Lord Emsworths passion for his garden, Lady Constanance for the company of poets, Threepwood for movies only to be matched by the singular aversion for fish by Psmith.

The setting of Wodehouse's novels in the p
Two Bibliomaniacs
Have we mentioned before that we love P.G. Wodehouse? No? Hummmm, well, our research department is woefully underfunded and we’re far too lazy to delve back into the archives ourselves... Just in case, we’ll mention it again. We love P.G. Wodehouse.

Fed up with the fish trade, eccentric good guy, Ronald Psmith is keen on a career change. To facilitate this urge, he takes out a classified add offering a rather ambitious range of services:

“Leave it to Psmith. Psmith will help you. Psmith is ready f
Harv Griffin
pic of my copy of the book

My dad was always after me to read P.G. Wodehouse, particularly the Psmith novels. Dad would say, "The P is silent like in swimming."

LEAVE IT TO PSMITH is by far my favorite Wodehouse novel. Chasing a girl, Psmith follows her to a mansion, where he blithely impersonates a poet to gain access.

When I first read this in college, during a lazy day when I had spare moments, I laughed so hard at one of the descriptions that I fell out of bed. I remember wheezing uncontrollably on the floor until it ac
Annie Hawthorne
Wodehouse is the genius of British humor. I can't believe I've existed for twenty years without ever reading his books before. What was wrong with me? Needless to say, if you have yet to read any of his thoroughly delightful works, fix that before you're a month older.
Do. It.
His writing is hysterical and a breath of fresh air. But be warned, reading Wodehouse whilst cooking a meal is a bad idea. Not if you want your food to survive.
It’s been quite a while since I’ve read any Wodehouse, so when I saw this at the library book sale, I picked it up and was immediately taken with the line “the ‘p’ is silent, as in pshrimp.” This is just what one would expect: mistaken identity, an absent-minded peer, an imperious dowager, young love, a fluttering poetess, laugh-out-loud lines, and a picturesque English manor as the main setting.
In all of the Wodehouse canon, Psmith may arguably be his greatest creation. He's certainly my favorite, along with the Blandings crew -- and in this book, we get to see them unite in one of the most whimsical romps ever written. Priceless.
Written very obviously to entertain and amuse, under the conviction that laughter is good medicine and the reader is terribly ill- Wodehouse gets 5 stars!
Another excellent dose of Wodehousian medicine. Psmith is hilarious per usual and makes me wonder why I do not read Wodehouse more often.
So far, very funny. I wish this showed my cover. It has a picture of the most dapper, dandyish dandy that every dapperly dandied.
Chinmay Pangarkar
This is hands down the best Wodehouse book I've read! This is saying a lot, coming from an ardent Wodehouse fan. The story has all the usual impostors, burglars and romances; the usual inanities, twists and hilarity. [return][return] The Hon. Freddie Threepwood, the second and perennially impecunious son of Lord Emsworth has come up with a magnificent scheme to raise two thousand pounds to finance his dream of becoming a bookie. With his Uncle Joe (the devoted but hen-pecked husband of Lady Cons ...more
BJ Rose
This is a charming comedy of errors, told as only P.G. Wodehouse can do. I did a lot of chuckling, and had some laugh-out-loud moments as I read about the enterprising Psmith *"the 'P' is silent, as in psychic and ptarmigan"* as he carried out his plan to get out of the fish business and make something of himself. His campaign began when he placed an advert in the newspaper, offering to do anything for anyone provided it had nothing to do with fish. He is soon off to Blandings to steal a necklac ...more
Leave It to Psmith by P. G. Wodehouse (1923) is my second foray into the adventures at Blandings Castle. This one follows the intrepid Psmith--one-time heir to a grand estate which his father heartlessly speculated away; most recently a monger of fish; and now a man of business. What kind of business?

Why, any at all. Just read his advertisement:

Psmith Will Help You

Psmith Is Ready For Anything

Someone To Manage Your Affairs?

Someone To Handle Your Business?

Someone To
I re-read this on July 23, 2012, and loved it, maybe even more than the first time. It takes a few chapters for the hilarity to really get going, but after that it's a real classic.

I think I especially enjoy this Wodehouse novel because Psmith is, in a way, the ultimate fantasy hero for someone who makes a living with words. Psmith regularly finds himself in impossibly difficult situations, but he has a really remarkable ability to work through them successfully with a flood of oratory. (Of cour
Lee Ann
Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!! Oh, this was so funny! This is a stand alone novel within the Wooster world. There are overlapping characters and, of course, the inimitable Drone's Club. You will love this one even if you haven't read any Bertie. You haven't read Bertie? Go away. Seriously. Just go. Back to Psmith, this book is kind of the anti-Bertie. There are the several plotlines resolving into one but with all the motives and resolutions reversed. Psmith is seeking love instead of fleeing it, seeking e ...more
Jamie Grefe
Thankfully, we still have used book stores where the employees know how to recommend a book! I went in looking for a dash of Wodehouse and the young man heartily suggested I read this, "Leave it to Psmith," that it would satisfy my Wodehousian cravings. Indeed, it did and does. If you are a fan of the Jeeves novels/stories, you will love Psmith, the fishmonger, the young gentleman, the problem-solver extraordinaire. I've only read a handful of Jeeves/Wooster books, but this one holds up with the ...more
DP Newell
I love the Psmith stories.
Genius, of course
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • The Ascent of Rum Doodle
  • Queen Lucia (Lucia, #1)
  • Decline and Fall
  • Three Men on the Bummel
  • Pictures from an Institution
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen
  • Manalive
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Topper
  • The Complete Saki
  • Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery of Education
  • The Culture We Deserve
  • Molesworth
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Psmith (4 books)
  • Mike and Psmith (Psmith, #1)
  • Psmith in the City (Psmith, #2)
  • Psmith, Journalist (Psmith, #3)

“We must always remember, however,' said Psmith gravely, 'that poets are also God's creatures.” 10 likes
“Liz," said Mr. Cootes, lost in admiration, "when it comes to doping out a scheme, you're the snake's eyebrows!” 7 likes