Start by marking “The Lighthouse Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Lighthouse Keeper

The Lighthouse Keeper

The beloved bestseller that will shine in your heart forever...

From the acclaimed author of The Last Valentine comes an unforgettable story about family, loss, and eternal love. Bestselling writer James Michael Pratt once again touches our emotions and our spirit as only a great writer can...

Published February 15th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Lighthouse Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lighthouse Keeper

Mary
Feb 27, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
A faith filled family story spanning fifty years. Billy emigrated from Ireland to eventually become the first lighthouse Keeper at Point Hope Island off the coast of Massachusetts. He soon married his beloved Katie, but the tragic deaths of their children and,then Katie herself are told to his nephew's daughter in back-story. Billy's nephew,Peter, a young boy who lost his parents to an auto accident,was brought to live with Billy and eventually became its next lighthouse keeper.
There was a slice
Kellie
This was a unique book. I love books about the folks who come from across the pond and settle in the US. Especially, Irish and Polish, my ethnic background.
I thought this book was a great depiction of what life was like during the first half of the century, WWI and WWII. Life was so different then. People worked really hard and fought hard for what they believed in.
The Lighthouse was a symbol of those times. No matter how dark and grim life has become, you have to find the light so you can move
Ellen Moore
Jul 14, 2013 Ellen Moore rated it it was ok
Not my favorite book! I don't like war stories and also felt this was a slow moving book which was hard to get into. I read it in 1 day but not because I couldn't put it down. I wanted to get through with it so I could read something I'd like better. This. one was a selection of my book club and was recommended by a member whose other book suggestions I have loved. One positive--it had short chapters, which I like!
Robin
Nov 18, 2009 Robin rated it did not like it
Boy, I'm definitely in the minority with this one. I didn't like this book at all. I finished it, just to see if the ending had any redeeming qualities, but nope, none there. I think what I really didn't like were all the cliche's the author uses throughout the book. It just seemed too predictable to be interesting. This is not an author I would recommend to my friends.
Tammra
Sep 28, 2007 Tammra rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, adult-fiction
I love lighthouses and really looked forward to reading this one but I ended up disappointed with it. I was hoping to learn more about the lighthouse keeper but it turned into a war story and for me it got off track. I wasn't looking for a war story when I decided to read it.
Teresa Watson
Jan 22, 2016 Teresa Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Wonderful story . It was heartwarming to see how a family can suffer and still find God and forgiveness and understanding of generosity and love.
Connie
Jan 14, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it
A beautifully written touching novel that the reader (at least this one) got lost in. A quick read, but so worth it!
Marilyn
Feb 25, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Read it and loved it about 10 years ago. Read it again and related to it more than ever. Uplifting, but keep the tissues handy.
Dee Schwinn
May 19, 2017 Dee Schwinn rated it really liked it
With all the tragedy in this book, there is still hope. There are the love stories, the struggles in Ireland, World War II, family and the light. The authors has a knack for dealing with emotion
Jomar
Dec 26, 2011 Jomar rated it it was ok
Love stories that sets during World War I was already a beautiful thought. It would be one of the most moving stories, as someone would say it. The Lighthouse Keeper was set during WWI, it was the story of a boy named Peter, how he became the person the person he is.

As I was reading the premise of the novel, I expect a lot from it. With the setting that sets during WWI, you would already think that there were many regrets, miseries and heartfelt romances. The Lighthouse Keeper, had have the afo
Dar B
Sep 01, 2011 Dar B rated it it was ok
I would rate this book 2.5 out of 5.0, to be honest. The author is not very good, to the point of, I hope that I can do much better than this at my first attempt at a novel! It is NOT his first, either! The story is a good one but he skips and skims along; perhaps to keep it short? He could add so much more "beef" to it by developing the supporting characters and adding detail. Obviously, they are not necessary to the story but I feel that it would just make it a better read, overall. The fact t ...more
Stephanie
Jun 18, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
Thank the good Lord each day for what you got and work like the devil to keep it. Then live your life fit to give it back when he asks. If you do, he'll grant you more and more until you are a right content man.

Lead kindly light, amid the encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see,
The distant scene--One step enough for me!
So long thy power hath blessed me, sure it still will lead me on.
O'er moor and fen, o'e
Robyn Leatherman
Jun 15, 2013 Robyn Leatherman rated it liked it
This book begins at the Port Hope Island Lighthouse in Massachusetts, with a woman, Kathleen, who is caring for her dying father, Peter O'Banyon. He'd taken over the family occupation of lighthouse keeper when he was a young man. We learn how Peter had come to live with his Uncle Billie when he was only ten and his parents died unexpectedly; as Peter unveils a lifetime of memories for his daughter before he himself dies from his cancer, the reader is taken into this family's past. We learn how U ...more
Nancy
Mar 30, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
This book made a great beach read for me. The story telling was superb, and it was hard to put it down. I loved the setting, and would have loved to meet both Uncle Billy and Peter. Both characters were well developed, and I identified with the Irish brogue from my childhood. The struggling immigrant, the war hero, both strong yet vulnerable. Yes, it was often predictable and yes, I would have preferred a different ending; but the predictability made it less tragic for me. If you want an absorbi ...more
bookyeti
Nov 02, 2008 bookyeti rated it liked it
Shelves: own, reviewed, fluff
Get out your kleenex box!

This one is a tear-jerker. A story about an old lighthouse keeper who wishes to pass along his legacy to an only daughter, shortly before his death. The story revolves around his earlier life as a simple Irish immigrant, sent off to Europe in WWII, the tragedies of his young life, and how he came to be the lighthouse keeper.

A story of love lost, which is ultimately regained. The ending is a bit farfetched, in my opinion, yet the story itself keeps you reading to the end
Donna Suchomelly
Feb 01, 2016 Donna Suchomelly rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book. I read a wide variety of books and enjoy those of Nicholas Sparks and others who write uplifting tales of life and love with a touch of spirituality. But this one is not of the same calibre. The author detours off into a detailed account of one of the main character's experiences in World War II that was overdone and added little to the main theme of the book. I have not read anything else by this supposed best selling author, and am not sure I would ever attempt ...more
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it really liked it

Ten-year-old Peter O'Banyon's life changes forever when his family dies in an accident. Orphaned, he goes to live with his garrulous Uncle Billie, the keeper of the Port Hope Island Lighthouse in Massachusetts. There, as the beacon leads sailors home, Peter learns an astonishing truth about Billie's past-- and the power of love. This message guides Peter's life, even when World War II's brutality rocks his faith, even when he returns to his young bride and an unimaginable tragedy. Now, in the f

Chrissy
Jan 04, 2009 Chrissy rated it really liked it
This author really brings you into the story. Even though you are seeing both sides (The war side and the homefront). He really brings out the feelings in his characters. Some authors get you confused when they are telling two stories at the same time but I knew all along what part of the story I was in. He brings it all together at the end a does a really good job.

This was the first book written by himthat i have read.
I will be reading more from this author.

Very good read. Well worth the time
Sharon
Jan 25, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I liked the symbolism in this book. I had to read it. My grandmother's grandfather was a lighthouse keeper in Maine. The writing style and tone remind me slightly of the book, Ahab's Wife. It's a story from another time, with remarkably detailed WWI scenes. But it's the story of an Irish family and of two keepers of the light. More than that, it's about the human heart and life. It's more than I can say in a review. What came to mind more than once was how we all ride the waves of life and make ...more
Mary
Mar 29, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mainlibrary
Pratt reminds us that through good days and bad, the lighthouse stands magnificently strong, doing what it does so well; standing sentinel where man and beam together work to offer light to those in the forbidding darkness at sea . . . the beacon of hope. He follows the lives of three generations who kept the light burning, both literally and spiritually, through all types of weather. I highly recommend the book - but be forewarned – it’s quite the tear jerker.
Liana
Jan 07, 2015 Liana rated it really liked it
I found this book in the rental we were staying at last week. After finishing the two books I had taken with me I thought I would read this one. I lacked 5 chapters to complete it so I found it here at the local library. I'm so glad I found it and finished it. The last chapter was the best and was very encouraging to me to keep running this race called life. Very good story!
Robbie
Jul 24, 2009 Robbie rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. It is written beautifully and full of true life lessons. I have recommended this book to many friends and every single one of them has loved it. I love this book, and take it with me on all my travels and read it often to remind me to be content in every situation and to find the beauty in gloomy times. :)
Jen
Jan 11, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It was a beautiful story and I confess part of the reason I loved it was because it had scenes in County Cork Ireland where my great grandmother was born and raised. This story had me in tears and while tragic it was spiritual and peaceful for me. I give it a rare 5 stars.
Emily Mosley
Nov 16, 2009 Emily Mosley rated it liked it
This book was just okay. There were parts of it that I loved, but other parts that made me yawn. It was somewhat sad and depressing, but overall a true love story. I think it would have been more interesting had it not delved so much into the descriptions of the war as parts of it seemed totally irrelevant to the rest of the story.
Donna Zigmont
Jan 04, 2015 Donna Zigmont rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago. I loved it then. I saw it in the library and decided to read it again. It is a very sad book,you definitely want some tissues handy when you read it. I loved the character of Uncle Billie. He went through so much in his life and taught his nephew Peter to be a wonderful and giving human being.
Robin
Jul 26, 2010 Robin added it
This is the first book I have read or heard about by this author but this book very much reminded me of Nicholas Sparks. (Definately some misty-eyed moments.)

It was such a quick read for me and I found myself fully engaged with the characters. It is a great story of love and heartache but with a positive message.
Vickie
Feb 20, 2012 Vickie added it
Awesome writer. I so enjoyed this book. Am thinking about having our book club read it. The contrast of how one person griefs over another, family secrets kept, not to hurt anyone by not telling but because it hurt so bad to tell. I love the family closeness. I guess cause I have never had that. The stoy rings ture on so many levels but is of course fiction. Really enjoyed this book.
Sandy
Mar 10, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok
Writing in the style of Nicholas Sparks, who I don't really care for either. Overly sentimental writing that is trying to make you cry. In this book, TWO men lose the love of their lives early on. One redeeming point is that Peter is in WWII and there are some interesting battle stories and characters.
Rachel
Jun 28, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
This book is written in journal style. I always enjoy that about a book. So between the journal, wartime and lighthouse theme I was sucked in. Great story! I was a bit sad at the ending...I guess I wanted a happier ending.
Linda Wells
Jul 26, 2012 Linda Wells rated it did not like it
Technically, I guess I finished this- if reading the first chapter and the last counts as finishing it. It struck me as sappy and simplistic, and after reading the end, I'm glad I skipped the middle.
  • The Wedding Dress
  • Eating Mammals: Three Novellas
  • Against the Wind
  • A Window Across the River
  • Other Worlds
  • Sudden Death Sudoku (Katie McDonald, #2)
  • Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1)
  • All We Know of Love
  • Secrets of the TSIL Cafe
  • Secrets of the Savanna: Twenty-three Years in the African Wilderness Unraveling the Mysteries of Elephants and People
  • Everything Is Broken
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • Literature: A Pocket Anthology
  • The Sandy Bottom Orchestra

“This life is a shadowy thing, lad. We live in a crowded space of lights and shadows, and when left to ourselves, we all too often fail to see the brightest light of all.” 4 likes
“We have a light upon our house, and it gives hope to all who sail upon the stormy seas. Do ya know what it means to have a light burning atop your home? It is safety, a place of refuge, seen by all that as a signal that ye stand for something greater than this world, greater than us all.” 2 likes