Start by marking “Good Things” as Want to Read:

Good Things

A charming debut novel about a lifestyle maven who learns that living simply isn't simple.

Deidre McIntosh became famous teaching women to live simply, and simply live-ironic for a woman who thrives on the chaos of a television career, and shares a home with her best friend, the one man she can count on-who happens to be gay.

But when her Seattle cooking-and-lifestyle show
Published February 6th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Good Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Things

Shannon
Aug 13, 2009 Shannon rated it liked it
A nice, light read. The protagonist, Dierdre, is a 40-year-old host of a local television program in Seattle. When her show is canceled and her roommate moves out with his boyfriend, Dierdre finds herself without a job and a home. Through a chance meeting, she's offered a place to stay in a tiny town on the eastern border of Washington and, as a result, finds her way back to success.

This book was sweet, though the protagonist was annoying. Seriously, she's 40 years old but she spends all her mon
Melissa
Jul 08, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
such a wonderful and easy read! The characters were fun and interesting, detail a plenty, and to top it all off the yummy recipes made by the main character are included in the back of the book!(which I cant wait to try). I was sad to finish it and will be looking out for Mia King's newest addition. I would love if she continued with a sequel to this novel developing more on Deidres future show and growing relationship.
Heather
Jan 04, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-09
This book was so much fun. I loved it. It was a very easy read that kept my attention from the beginning.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a quick book. I'll spare the full review, as I feel the description here on goodreads pretty much sums it all up. Enjoy!
Gaby
Jun 22, 2009 Gaby rated it really liked it
Synopsis:
At 40, single and the host of Live Simple and Seattle's Martha Stewart, Deidre McIntosh is living the good life - until she's not. Suddenly, as a younger, thinner, and blonder and wealthier Marla launches a competing show Deirdre's life comes apart. Deirdre's show is cancelled. And as she's mourning with a pint of icecream, she's evicted from her beautiful apartment.

It's a stroke of luck leads her to meet Kevin. After a chance encounter, he offers her the use of his cabin by Lake Wish.
Caitlin Constantine
Jan 23, 2010 Caitlin Constantine rated it it was ok
The story itself was generic chick lit, complete with the super-convenient rich dude who likes the abrasive protagonist for some reason I cannot really ascertain, but gets involved anyway and saves the day. BUT! I liked the book anyway, and I'll tell you why - because FOOD plays a major role in it. The protagonist is a bit of a local Martha Stewart type television celebrity, and she spends much of the book cooking these fabulous desserts and putting together tremendous feasts. I was literally sa ...more
Mikkee
Mar 19, 2012 Mikkee rated it it was ok
This book's cover was what pulled me in, and then reading the jacket description, I was even more intrigued. However, I feel like what the book said it was about and what it actually was about were two very different things. The cover talked about finding the delights of a more simple life, but the book was really just another formulaic romance. Bad things happen to main character, main character goes off to pout, enter handsome, sensitive man, misunderstanding, reunion and happily ever after. S ...more
Marci
Mar 24, 2011 Marci rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this book, I kept hoping that it would get into a deeper story. Or that the main character and corresponding love story would seem at all relatable, but it just never did. The main character is shallow and self-centered while the author seems to need to make references to her "just needing to do something for herself" when the back story seems like she does nothing else. The supporting cast is all very likeable, but there are also some love scenes that could do without so m ...more
Bridget
Aug 15, 2008 Bridget rated it it was ok
Well, when you pretty much can't stand the main character in the book, it makes it hard to give a good rating. It doesnt help that I could see some plot "twists" a mile away either. Good concept for a book, but would be improved if the main character didnt alternate between having her head up her ass or whining about things in her life.
Shawna
May 07, 2010 Shawna rated it did not like it
Chick-lit can be fun, but I wasn't impressed with this. I picked it up because my sister read one of her other books and said it was fun and clean. This was a bit predictable and certainly not clean. No recommendations from me.
Patty
Sep 12, 2010 Patty rated it it was amazing
By
Mia King

I have been totally immersed in a book world of Angels and Vampires and Immortals and Werewolves. And…when I wasn’t reading tons of YA Fantasy I was reading lots of women’s fiction that contained tons of family dysfunction and lots of sadness. I really love both of these genres…they are intense and relaxing and enjoyable to me.

However…just a few days ago I became aware of a delightful author named Mia King. I read one of her books…Good Things…and totally loved it. It is r
Danielle Price
Dec 22, 2016 Danielle Price rated it it was amazing
Light and easy read! Entertaining!
Jay
May 26, 2015 Jay rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-review, hard-copy
Debut author Mia King has written a warm and touching story about a woman's journey to self-discovery and love.

Deidre McIntosh is Seattle's Martha Stewart. She has her own television show, Live Simple, where she shows women how to beautify their homes and lives in the simplest ways possible. Deidre loves her local celebrity status and loves that she shares a home with her best friend, who is gay.

Unfortunately, Deidre loses everything she loves in the span of a week. A rival show is launched on a
Jenn O'Brien
Dec 02, 2011 Jenn O'Brien rated it really liked it
This book (and two others by the same author) has been sitting on my Library Books To Read pile for a while now … make that a LONG while. It kept getting pushed to the bottom of the pile for other books that were due back sooner or could not be renewed. Finally, it made it to the top of the pile and I am so happy it did because I really enjoyed it.

I really liked the characters, especially the people in the small village of Point. Like all good friendships, I liked forming a bond with the main ch
Colette
Aug 12, 2009 Colette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
After reading this book, I can understand why everyone wanted to read Table Manners. I can't say too many times how I loved this book. I picked it and told myself "I'll just read chapter one to see what it's about" I was reading another book at the time, and didn't want to start a new one. However, once I started this book, I couldn't put it down! I loved how this wasn't just a romance. It was a book about friendships, following your dream, not giving up and taking risks. I also liked how Deidre ...more
Stephanie
Nov 05, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
If you asked Deidre McIntosh what she loves most about her life, she'd probably say the chaos. Life is good and full of action and purpose, but unfortunately that all changes in a matter of days.

When the network drops her Martha Stewart-esque show, "Live Simple", Deidre must learn to cope with the lost of the job that she loved.

As if it couldn't get worse, Deidre's roommate and gay BFF also decides to drop a bomb on her by letting her know that he's fallen out - effective immediately. How do you
Devon
Apr 19, 2012 Devon rated it it was amazing
Good things come to those who wait...and for Deidre McIntosh this is a motto to be remembered. When she suddenly finds everything in her life going horribly and inexplicably wrong. Her long running TV show has been canceled, her gay roommate finds love and is moving on and her romantic life is nonexistent, on a whim decides to pack it all in and take her own advice to "live simply". Due to the kind heart of an extremely handsome virtual stranger, Kevin Johnson, she finds herself in the tiny town ...more
Kricket
Aug 29, 2011 Kricket rated it it was ok
i needed something light (literally & figuratively) to read on the beach. hardcover margaret atwood was too heavy to hold up on a chaise lounge and i didn't want to get it sandy. so the day before i left on vacation i went into the library's romance section and browsed.

which was weird! i'm always reading reviews and either putting things on hold or making a beeline to a book on a shelf.

anyway, my browsing skills aren't great because this book was pretty dumb. a martha stewart type loses her
Leah (packfan20)
Aug 04, 2009 Leah (packfan20) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Jen
Oct 05, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of chick lit
Good Things is a fun, quick read that's perfect for lingering in bed on the weekend. The story is upbeat - enjoy life, being sure to appreciate simple things like a great scone, a picturesque lake, small-town life (or sex, for that matter), and good things will come to you. (The author, Mia King, is a Big Island author, so I'm sure her outlook has been reinforced by the simple pleasures here in Hawaii!)

The book is peppered with mouth-watering foodie references, and there are even recipes include
Kelly Olexa
Apr 11, 2010 Kelly Olexa rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book. Definitely slightly on the "chick" type of read and that's cool. This is about a woman dealing with a lot of sudden and drastic changes to her whole life, career and many of her relationships. This is a situation to which I can totally relate, and it tells her cathartic journey with humor and insight. Each chapter has a really great quote at the beginning...I found myself marking the pages to go back to the quotes. Love the style of her writing, and looking forward to mor ...more
Mari
Jun 02, 2010 Mari rated it did not like it

I bought this book because it was selected by my Book Club. The reviews were also all very positive.
I was disappointed to find this book just a light beach reading, nothing more.
The main character, Deidre is an irritating good-doer at all costs. Reading about her unpleasantly teleported me back in time to the Snow White and the other not-very-sharp Princesses.
The other characters are not developed enough and are absolutely not believable.
The only good thing in this book are the recipes at the en
Amy
May 11, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
I liked the writing style a lot! The main character was very likable, and the book really flowed. However, and this may just be MY thing, but I get tired of reading books where the end is so neatly wrapped up: the girl gets the super rich guy, the awesome job, etc, etc...While I am a sucker for happy endings, the too happy endings turn me off! I know that sounds strange, but it's just me! I will check out anything else this author writes, though. The style was fresh, fun, easy to get into.
Alissa
Nov 28, 2008 Alissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, 2010
Needed something light and fluffy to read and this fit the bill. It was a bit long but when it ended I said, "Oh it's over" and while it had a nice ending, I wasn't quite prepared for it to be over.
Nothing to really distinguish it from any other chick-lit book and while I liked Deidre I wasn't really rooting for her and I didn't like the gaps in the narration time-line. I felt at times it was confusing.
Mary
Oct 18, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Good Things has been on my TBR stack for several months. I finally decided to dust it off and give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't want to put it down after starting, but life got in the way and it took me 2.5 days to read. I found the characters likable and mostly realistic. This is Mia King's first novel and I can't wait to read her next. It was entertaining and fun - it would make a great vacation read.
tbears
Jul 02, 2008 tbears rated it really liked it
Very entertaining and easy to read first book by Mia King. Her wit and humor reminds me of books by Jeanne Ray and Elinor Lipman. The misadventures of Deidre had certainly kept her from achieving her "simple life" motto. I loved the food descriptions. Recipes from the story were included in the back of the book. I'm going to have to patiently wait for the sequel which won't be released until Sept '09. Her next book, SWEET LIFE, will be out this Sept.

Andrea
Jan 17, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
At times, "Good Things" is light, entertaining, and full of surprises. At other times, the novel is too predictable and slow-moving (i.e. the reader catches on WELL before the main character does). Sometimes the characters (particularly the heroine, Deidre) seem shallow, and sometimes they feel quirky and authentic. The strongest aspects of the book were definitely the portrait of Jacob's Point as a small town community and the descriptions of food and baking throughout--yum!
Nikki
Apr 04, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: friends
This was a quick read - I enjoyed the storyline and the characters were very likeable. I did find some parts hard to believe, a little too coincidental, and predictable. That being said it was charming. Liked the recipes at the back of the book as well. I am looking forward to reading the following up!
Emily
Aug 06, 2007 Emily rated it it was ok
this book was a really easy and predictable read. the only reason I am writing about it for those who enjoy cooking. the story is about a failed tv personality a la martha stewart. she cooks all the time and it made me hungry, which isnt an easy task to accomplish since most foods make me queezy at the moment. decent story, good if you have nothing else to read, get it from the library.....
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This was a good book. It was a fast read and I liked how the protagonist overcame so many hurdles because of her creativity, openness to new ideas, and general positive attitude. I like how the author incorporates a reverence for nature in her books. And I am a sucker for a good love story and a happy ending...
Angela
Mar 28, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
I'd actually give this book 2 1/2 stars. The story was interesting enough, but I honestly found myself disliking the main character. I think the author was going for spunky, but instead the character turned out pretty bitchy. This book was supposed to be about a woman simplifying her life, but i don't think her "new" life ends up any different than the chaotic life she had before.
  • Family Affair
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • Friday Mornings at Nine
  • Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar
  • Happiness Sold Separately
Mia King is a national bestselling author of women’s fiction. She is the author of three novels, GOOD THINGS (Berkley Books, 2007), SWEET LIFE (Berkley Books, 2008), and TABLE MANNERS (Berkley Books, 2009). Her fourth novel, FRIENDSHIP BREAD, will be published in 2011 by Ballantine Books under the name, Darien Gee. You can find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/authormiaking or on her website at ...more
More about Mia King...