Start by marking “Salad Bar Beef” as Want to Read:
Salad Bar Beef

Salad Bar Beef

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a day when beef is assailed by many environmental organizations and lauded by fast-food chains, a new paradigm to bring reason to this confusion is in order. With farmers leaving the land in droves and plows poised to "reclaim" set-aside acres, it is time to offer an alternative that is both land and farmer friendly.Beyond that, the salad bar beef production model offer ...more
Published July 1st 1996 by Polyface, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Salad Bar Beef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salad Bar Beef

Wayne
I have mixed feelings as I sit down to write this. See, Joel Salatin is something of a hero of mine. A little over two years ago, I found myself trying to get by on odd jobs and feeling like the only path to a life of farming was to land a salaried position somewhere that would pay enough for me to get a mortgage to pay the $100K-$500K necessary to get a farm. As there seemed little hope of that happening, I was feeling pretty defeated.

Then I read Joel's book, "You Can Farm," which told me I wa
Jeremy
Jun 29, 2008 Jeremy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes agriculture or an alternative outlook
Another book about farming that focuses on the cleanest and most humane way to raise cattle. This guy tends to rant a bit about how our system is so messed up and unsustainable. His book reads like a how-to guide for someone looking to raise cattle however he is really choppy in getting his points across due to his random tangents. His methods are fascinating and extremely efficient with regards to cost and labor. I really like the concepts presented in the book but his utopian value system seem ...more
John
This is now the third book by Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm in Virginia that I have read, and it has very much shaped my ideas about what is possible for agriculture going forward into the future. From his other books (particularly You Can Farm), I already had the basic idea of his model for raising grass-fed beef, but this book fleshed out the concepts and practices that he uses to raise what he hopes is the best beef inthe world.

From the title, you may have noticed that Salatin doesn't call it
Amber
I added this to my to-read list while I was still reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. The book is really not intended for a non-farmer audience, I think- you're supposed to read the book and then starting working on your own notebook of ideas to apply to your own farm. Author Salatin is lovably whacked, oscillating between cool-headed farmer/business owner and irascible, Christian-informed, activist, all the while staying on-topic and organized. (And you know I wouldn't describe someone as lovably w ...more
Audrey
Fabulous true story of a farmer who uses very innovative farming techniques to make sure his animals are healthy (and better for us to eat). His land is a functioning, replenishing organic ecosystem.
Nathan Titus
Highly motivating, full of step by step how to details with just the right amount of enthusiasm thrown in so you want to do it. I plan on following these techniques to the best of my ability. Books like The Omnivore's Delema only describe a problem; Salad Bar Beef offers a solution, and more than that, it tells you how to be a part of that solution! I will keep my eyes open for more books like this one!!
Kevin
Another hit from Mr Salatin. I am gonna go buy some land and some cows and feed them grass!!! So far my favorite book from Joel Salatin. Not too much detail but simple clear instructions on how to do it yourself with plenty of reference for further reading with more detail. I'm actually on my way tomorrow to go to the farm for the annual field day!
Jen
I've been wanting to read this book for awhile. Who would have thought that it would actually be enjoyable. Some of the info/lingo is over my head, but most is easy to understand. Makes me excited to raise my own cows!
Brad Belschner
Decent book, full of practical tips for a small beef operation. Probably worth reading for anyone wanting to do that. Most important random fact I learned: making hay in circular bales is stupid, because the hay molds!
Amanda
More people need to read this book. It explains where your food comes from and how it's produced. It explains how farmers can have a better product and gain a better profit from it while helping the environment.
Michelle
I love, Love, LOVE Joel Salatin's approach to good stewardship over the land. He lays out the ways to implement management intesive grazing in such an easy-to-read format!
Mel
This book is a great introduction to management intensive grazing with beef cattle.
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Deirdre Schirmer
Deirdre Schirmer marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Halbmaierje
Halbmaierje marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Kwjacobso
Kwjacobso marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Ramon Perry
Ramon Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Jeremy Ferrell
Jeremy Ferrell marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Edith
Edith marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Kenneth Vallie
Kenneth Vallie marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
  • All Flesh Is Grass: Pleasures & Promises Of Pasture Farming
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle over Food Rights
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Holistic Management: A New Framework for Decision Making
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
  • Five Acres and Independence
  • Living the Good Life: How to Live Sanely and Simply in a Troubled World
  • Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization
Joel is a nationally renowned speaker on organic farming and "relationship marketing." He is on a mission to develop emotionally, economically and environmentally enhanced agricultural enterprises, and facilitate their duplication around the world. Part of that goal is to produce the best food in the world.

Joel espouses an agricultural paradigm shift that sees plants and animals as partners rather
More about Joel Salatin...
Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal: War Stories from the Local Food Front You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start and Succeed in a Farm Enterprise Pastured Poultry Profit$ Holy Cows and Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer's Guide to Farm Friendly Food