Start by marking “Sive” as Want to Read:
Sive

Sive

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Sive is a young and beautiful orphan who lives with her uncle Mike, and his wife Mena. A local matchmaker, Thomasheen Sean Rua, wants Sive to marry an old man called Sean Dota. Thomasheen convinces Mike and Mena to organize the marriage in exchange for two hundred pounds. However, Sive is in love with a young man, Liam, who is labeled unsuitable and is refused permission t ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Mercier Press (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Sive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sive

Dubliners by James JoyceCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyLight a Penny Candle by Maeve BinchyThe Sea by John BanvilleThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
The Rich Irish Literature Hit List
23rd out of 56 books — 21 voters
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradA River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman MacleanLife on the Mississippi by Mark Twain
Rivers
167th out of 254 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

George
I saw this play, "Sive," by John B. Keane, at the Abbey Theatre in Dublin. I enjoyed the story and decided to purchase and read the play.

From the back cover: "Provocative and powerful, 'Sive' is a story of greed and bitterness, of a scheming matchmaker and a resentful woman forcing a beautiful young girl to marry and old man." It's set against the harsh poverty and difficult times of the 1950's Ireland.

I won't give away the ending -- it's powerful. Keene's daughter says that he wrote this play a
Robyn travers
I thought it was a brilliant tale about how an eighteen year old girl is being forced into a marriage with a old man. Her money driven aunt Mena and crafty matchmaker thomasheen Sean rua are the the creators of this bitter and jealousy fuelled plan.
As Sive is illegitimate and completely oblivious to her parents backgrounds, Mena uses this to her advantage. To make Sive agree she makes empty promises about happiness and how her mother wanted this.

Liam scuab is wives sweetheart and therefore he
Adela63
Abbey Theatre. I found the Irish accent too a annoying, it would have been better if played "in English". It was the first time I was not happy with the acting itself. However the play is extremely powerful.

CAST

Conall Morrison. Director
Sabi
Klaudia
Very Good Book.

I liked the story of 18 years old girl who was forced to marry someone she didn't love by he aunt-in-law.

John B. Keane uses very strong imagery rich in Irish language.

I really enjoyed it.
Grace
I enjoyed it simply because it took time out of English class and I didn't have to read it in Irish. And for the line 'Tis how he have seen her bi-cycling to the convent in the village'. I'll never forget it.
Barry Pierce
Poor Sive. She's forever stuck as a metaphor of the perils of matchmaking. Mena got what she deserved though, the bitch.
Susan
Mar 01, 2012 Susan added it
Love it
Elizabeth Bradford
Elizabeth Bradford marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Bina
Bina marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jenny
Jenny added it
Apr 16, 2015
Cham
Cham marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
April
April added it
Mar 15, 2015
Ella Rose
Ella Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Chicken Dance
  • The Blue Horse
  • The Plough and the Stars
  • Posh and Prejudice (Diary of a Chav, #2)
  • Freedom and its Betrayal: Six Enemies of Human Liberty
  • Celtic Mythology
  • The Complete Plays
  • AN Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
  • Red Dust Road: An Autobiographical Journey
  • The Creative Writing Coursebook: Forty Authors Share Advice and Exercises for Fiction and Poetry
The Bodhran Makers The Field Durango The Short Stories of John B. Keane. The Teapots Are Out and Other Eccentric Tales from Ireland