Start by marking “The Osterman Weekend ” as Want to Read:
The Osterman Weekend

The Osterman Weekend

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,434 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Alternate cover for ISBN.0586037438.
Published 1984 by Granada (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Osterman Weekend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Osterman Weekend

Jeff
Early 1970’s spy thriller from Robert Ludlum, the Bourne guy. U.S. versus the Soviets, the Cold War. Ludlum levels up the paranoia to Paranoia and finally to PARANOIA!!

Do the Soviets have sleeper agents, code named Omega, working for them who will covertly topple the American economic system once given the word? The CIA enlists TV producer, John Tanner in order to take Omega out of the picture. He’s getting together with three couples for their annual week end; one or all three have ties with Om
Nina
Jan 01, 2013 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while vacationing in Italy. I was visiting with two friends and we were at the end of the second week of a three week holiday. We were renting a villa in Tuscany and tempers had risen a little high while driving around - somehow the one who didn't want to drive or navigate KNEW the way to go. Needless to say some escapism was what I needed. I perused the bookshelf of the rented villa and was very pleased to see a Ludlum in their oeuvre. I escaped to the terrace with a glass of w ...more
Johann Coetzer
This book is a really boring read.

description

I could not finished it and stopped at page 90.
It is not a regular Robert Ludlumit has no real urgency of excitement to it.
First I thought I can just soldier on but just could not.

On the First few pages you just want to fall asleep.

description

I would say don't waste your time in trying to read this book.

This was time wasted, wish I did not by this book.

Chuck
I hadn't read a Robert Ludlum novel since the Jason Bourne series was popular years ago. This one was a quick read, full of action, clever and unpredictable. I had the bad guys figured out at least ten times. If you are in the mood for a quick, enjoyable mystery, this would a good choice.
Chuck
May 05, 2008 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somone gave me a Ludlum title and I didn't have anything to read, and I started on it when I took a flight to St. Louis. I was riveted and got on this Ludlum kick--I must have read six or seven of his books this past month. Something of a debauach, I admit. I decided to read all of his books in order; this is his second.

Some of his older stuff is somewhat dated, but his ability to tell a tell that keeps you reading is unparallelled. And the "About the Author" section of 'The Chancellor' Manuscri
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
The book starts out with murder and deception. A TV host of a 60 Minutes type show, is being summoned to Washington under false pretences and convinced by the CIA that his friends are conspiring against the country. The host, John Tanner, invites his friends to his home for the weekend in order for the traitor to reveal themselves so the CIA could capture them.

This is a clever, intriguing and fun book which has glimmers of the genius which Robert Ludlum is about to become. The characters come t
Jeremy Schoolfield
I enjoyed this quick novel (by Ludlum standards) much more than I thought I would. It's very different from his other works in that it doesn't feature some nearly superhuman government agent, but just a regular guy in his regular life that gets caught up in some very irregular stuff. Much of it feels almost like an Agatha Christie novel, as you're trying to figure out who's who and who did what do whom. That, and the final 100 pages are non-stop action, suspense, and thrills. Not a Ludlum "class ...more
Jim
Nov 03, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
No one writes a suspense thriller like Ludlum could at his peak. Given some of the more complex international settings of his later works, this book feels almost austere in its New Jersey setting, but that doesn't the diminish the craft of Ludlum's ability to wind his way through twists and betrayals at every turn. For anyone who has never read a Ludlum work, this is a good place to start.
David Abraham
Mar 26, 2010 David Abraham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Read this in an evening, bit of a slow start but as with all Ludlum novels they hook you and you don't want to set them down. It is very short by Ludlum standards but it's still a very good story none-the-less. A few people in their reviews say that it's dated. What do they expect? Just set yourself in that time period and there shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, 4 out of 5 from me.
Endre Barath
Jun 29, 2011 Endre Barath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Ludlum was one of the original action, mystery and twist and turn writers of the 1970's and of course the creator of the Bourne Series as a fan of his for over a few decades I was glad that I finally read this one by him. This was his second book, but for some reason I never read it. If you love Robert Ludlum it is worth reading.
Donovan Rowlands
Jun 13, 2013 Donovan Rowlands rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needed a book for a 8 hour flight. Found this book on the library shelf and grabbed it. It's an enthralling story isn't it? Anyways I found it to be a good & fast read. It made the flight go by faster so it did it's job.

I recommend it.

There that's my review.
Huma
Apr 20, 2013 Huma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-ludlum
This is a strange tale of suspicion and paranoia. I enjoyed it immensely from the very start, but somehow I felt as if Ludlum was writing a parody of his work. Maybe it has been too long since I last read Ludlum!! However it was still a very enjoyable book. There were a few hidden gems like the one I quote below,that reminded me that it is the same author who wrote the Bourne Series;

The Tremaynes, the Cardones, the Ostermans.
All there. None accounted for.
Any or all.
Omega!

SPOILERS Ahead. Consi
Jamie
Nov 05, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember watching the movie and remembering crossbows. There are no mention of crossbows in this novel at all. A newsman, John Tanner, is told at a secret meeting that all his best friends are Soviet agents and it is up to him to stop Omega, which is about to start an operation that will destroy America's economy. The Cardonnes, Tremaynes and Ostermans have a planned weekend at the Tanner home. But this time the friends have been agitated by agents to prime them for the weekend. No one is them ...more
Nagesh
Feb 06, 2014 Nagesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without exaggerating, the first time when I read this book (during my first year of engineering) I had to take a shower to get rid of the excess sweating.

I had never read such a chillingly thrilling novel until that time ... it was like being in one of those kinky horror situations where your heartbeat has all but come to a standstill imagining some unbearable experience you are about to encounter ...

However the second time I read it (I had totally forgotten about the storyline, characters and a
Jason
Jul 08, 2015 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Amateurish

Clearly it wasn't unenjoyable since I read it in a single night, but compared to Ludlum's later writing or Clancy's stuff, this story seemed almost childish. Not polished writing at all, and very different from his first novel The Scarlatti Inheritance. While that was very slow and measured in it's plotting this was extremely frenetic. The difference is so glaring it's almost as if he reacted to some negative criticisms of that novel and did a complete 180.
But as I said, it w
Wilkin Aves
Feb 19, 2014 Wilkin Aves rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"The difference between truth and fiction is that fiction has to make sense." this one doesn't make sense. another conspiracy eh? another far-fetched story. when i learned that the NKVD has an operation to destabilize the american economy, whut? seems a KGB operation to me. economic sabotage is not a role of the NKVD, and NKVD operates within the scope of the soviet union! and not at western countries! and 3 american families that are soviet agents? i can't see the reason why they committed trea ...more
Mel
Aug 22, 2010 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the book three times and watched the film twice and I'm still not certain I really "get it". An overly complicated story involving the C.I.A., revenge, betrayal and who knows what else. Not Ludlum's best.
Karen
Oct 16, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Ludlum's works--loved The Road to Gandolfo, for example. I was confused by this mystery, even though it gets explained (mostly) in the end. Quite a bit of suspense and many twists and turns. But, I thought that there were a couple too many characters, and a major one was thrown into the mix towards the end--supposedly on the side of good, but a despicable character. Perhaps you can guess what twist that fellow took! A lot of energy went into setting up the "hero" for a fatal fall ...more
Ash Bryant
May 09, 2015 Ash Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Ludlum book I read and it is dear to my heart. That Ludlum thriller is he? is she? will they? A fantastic story all round. Must read.
Luis
May 17, 2015 Luis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Una maraña total, con eso describiría perfectamente a este escrito.
No es un mal libro, pero no lo recomendaría.
Tod Hamilton
Dec 06, 2014 Tod Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below is my General review of Robert's books. This one however, I struggled with a bit. Still great, but it took a second time through before I really loved it.
Story tellers of Robert's calibre do but come along once every few generations. I went through a period where what he was writing was perfectly suited to my liking. During this period these books were read a few times over until they were falling apart.
The only thing I can say is once you've read one of this era of books, if you like them
Kelanth
Feb 22, 2016 Kelanth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spionaggio
Striscia di cuoio, in originale "The Osterman Weekend" è il secondo romanzo di spionaggio scritto da Robert Ludlum, pubblicato nel 1972. Si tratta di un romanzo che è un mix di suspense, dramma, azione e thriller.

Robert Ludlum, come già detto molte volte nelle mie precedenti recensioni è un maestro indiscusso del genere spy-story, tanto da meritarsi l'appellativo di "Mr. Plot" -signor complotto-. Ha scritto 27 romanzi thriller. Il numero di copie dei suoi libri in stampa è stimato tra 290 milion
Tony
Oct 18, 2012 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy
A novel less about espionage than paranoia, quite reflective of its time I suspect. Robert Ludlum's second book has the wrappings of Cold War intelligence but he focuses on a core group of characters, riven by fear and suspicion in a complex battle of counter-espionage.

Ludlum's writing doesn't make me fall in love with the material; it's solid but unspectacular, the writer stronger with narrative and pacing than he is with character. Our lead, John Tanner, is rather bland and the other main play
Andreasoldier
Jul 09, 2014 Andreasoldier rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Dated thriller about descendants of Cold War Russia who ready to rise up and start a revolution in USA.
A CIA agent enlists through blackmail a TV journalist, Tanner, he believes can turn a group of these Russian agents. Tanner nows all the spies through college and other ties, and invites them to a weekend house party.
Themes are a distrust of government, distrust in relationships, and lots on betrayal.

Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not on eof my favorite Ludlum books, but well-written and still suspenseful. In Zurich. . .in Moscow. . .in Washington. The machinery was already set in motion, while in a quiet suburb an odd assortment of men and women gathered for a momentous weekend. At stake was the very existence of the United States of America. . .and the future of the entire free world.
Pete Allen
Reading the book now and realizing it was written in the 70s is quite something. Then, the idea of corporate conspiracies and Snowden like leaks were radical, but reading it now and seeing those ideas thought of as radical is a bit stunning. Ludlum was quite prescient, and of course never fails to write a good tale.
Sujit Banerjee
Feb 09, 2016 Sujit Banerjee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevin K. Gillette
Jul 26, 2014 Kevin K. Gillette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This was one of his best, albeit his most confusing. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure who the good guys and the bad guys are. But that's part of the fun, and don't let my lack of comprehension steer you away from this masterpiece! The film adaptation, with Craig T. Nelson, Rutger Hauer, and Meg Foster is pretty good, too!
Lewis Hunter
May 02, 2016 Lewis Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only Ludlum book I have read, and I enjoyed it. I see that it is rated lower than a lot of his other books. I think I will have to read some more of his work.
Tracy
Aug 06, 2014 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since the first several chapters of the book introduces characters (and there were many), it was tough to get into the book. I finished it, but it wasn't my favorite read.
  • French Kiss
  • Cross Of Fire (Tweed & Co. #10)
  • The Loo Sanction (Jonathan Hemlock, #2)
  • Solo
  • The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8)
  • The League of Night and Fog (Mortalis, #3)
  • Force 10 from Navarone
  • Chameleon
  • Bahama Crisis
Robert Ludlum was the author of twenty-seven novels, each one a New York Times bestseller. There are more than 210 million of his books in print, and they have been translated into thirty-two languages. He is the author of The Scarlatti Inheritance, The Chancellor Manuscript, and the Jason Bourne series--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum--among others. Mr. Ludlum ...more
More about Robert Ludlum...