Start by marking “Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph” as Want to Read:
Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph

Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  3,363 Ratings  ·  383 Reviews
Here from Marjorie Holmes, one of the most beloved authors of our day, is the extraordinary bestselling novel that tells the story of Mary and Joseph as it has never been told before--the greatest love story of all.

This is the story of two real people whose lives were touched by God: two people chosen by God to provide an earthly home for His Son. Here are Mary and Joseph-
Published February 1st 1982 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Two from Galilee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two from Galilee

Candice Beever
Apr 11, 2010 Candice Beever rated it liked it
I'll admit, I didn't think I'd like this book before I started it. I figured, I already knew the story of Mary and Joseph, so how interesting could this be? But one thing the book did really well was make them into real people and the more I read, the more involved I got.

I really liked their different views of God. Joseph viewed God as this big God with more important things to do than listen to the prayers of one poor carpenter. But Mary saw God in everything, thinking that if he's a part of al
Brittany
Jan 03, 2010 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Brittany by: Launette Shaw
I LOVED reading this book and finishing it right before Christmas. It really brings their love story to life. I really liked it and had no problem with any of the fiction the author added. It was so fun to read during th Holiday season, too.
Sheila
May 03, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time in real history a real child was born who changed the world. Marjorie Holme’s Two From Galilee imagines the story of that child’s parents, Mary and Joseph, in their small town of Nazareth in Galilee. The novel was published in the 1970s and the research may not be entirely up to date, but it’s close enough. Families dream of great futures for their children, love intervenes, and unplanned pregnancies are as hard a fate to cope with then as now. But this pregnancy has more than t ...more
Marty Solomon
Nov 06, 2012 Marty Solomon rated it really liked it
This was a great read from Marjorie Holmes.

As I first began to read the book, I was annoyed with Holmes' desire to romanticize the story so much. It was not long, only a couple chapters, until I fell in love with her perspective as a woman and was incredibly blessed to enjoy her fictional retelling of the context of the birth of Jesus.

While I found some of the historical details to be debatable, I was repeatedly impressed by how accurate the story's setting was as Holmes described the culture of
Bev
Dec 10, 2007 Bev rated it liked it
I first read this at my brother's when I was newly married and had the then-popular short 'fro perm, so I'm guessing 1979? I like to read this at Christmas time and think about how it must have been.... Like the author, just to sit and ponder that these were real people and this miracle actually happened in their previously ordinary lives.
Sharlie
Feb 01, 2010 Sharlie rated it liked it
What a great Book! I loved the way this book made Mary and Joseph so real to me! Great love story! Loved seeing more into the Jewish Culture.
Kathy
Nov 21, 2009 Kathy rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but it read like a cheap romance novel disguised as historical fiction.
Emily Crall
I really loved this book! It helped that I read it right before Christmas because it truly brought me back to the core of Christmas. I've always loved the story in Luke 2 and every Christmas, my Dad would read it to us before we could open presents. By the time I was 5, I had it memorized, word for word, from the King James Bible. It's a beautiful story, but this book...this book made me fall in love with the story. It's so amazing to think how God specifically chose both Mary AND Joseph for the ...more
Jill
Dec 19, 2010 Jill rated it liked it
I read this as a teenager and LOVED it. I read it again this month and really enjoyed it. It's helped me see the nativity and Christmas story in a much more personal and real light.

I've never considered what a scandal it must have been for Mary to become pregnant while engaged (but not married) to Joseph - or how hard it must have been for him and for the parents and friends of both of them. Did her parents believe her when she told them what had happened? Did her friends and family stand by he
Denise
May 21, 2016 Denise rated it it was amazing
Marjorie Holmes in Two from Galilee paints a beautiful picture of the Christmas story. She begins her story with the development of Mary's character and a depiction of what her life and family were like before she began the greatest adventure of her life. Holmes closely follows the Biblical narrative of Mary's and Joseph's story creatively weaving in descriptions of the terrain of Israel and the hardships faced by the Israelites.

Of course we know the end to this story; however, the author bring
Haley
Jan 26, 2012 Haley rated it really liked it
I started this before Christmas and am just now getting around to finishing it. (Crazy busy holiday!) I tend to rate books according to others I've read in that genre. So compare this to several of the dystopian novels I've read lately, and I probably would have rated this a 3. But compared to the other biblical novels I've read (namely Orson Scott Card), I think this book is right up there. I enjoy having the Bible or history come alive, and I thought the author did a great job with the story. ...more
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
I last read this book thirty years ago and remembered very little. I am surprised to find both how compelling the book remains and how terribly romantic it is. But, thinking back, quite a bit of the 1970s-era popular fiction was very romantic. This imagined courtship narrative of Mary and Joseph is personal and vibrant. What appealed to me most was the historic detail--similar to the historical fiction of Anya Seton, with very strong characters and more narrative and setting than dogma. Although ...more
Cheryl Allred
Aug 14, 2011 Cheryl Allred rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I really enjoyed this book. In reading it you learn a lot about the customs of that time. Even though the story is this authors interpretation of the birth of Christ and the events leading up to it, it gives the reader a greater knowledge and understanding of the miracle of Christ's birth. To quote the book, "Somehow I can't think of our son as a king," Joseph said. "At least not a king who will mount a throne one day and rule the world. But rather as a king who will somehow change men's hearts. ...more
Ruth
May 24, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I really liked the way this author wrote about the period when Mary was chosen to be impregnated with the Christ child. The disbelief from her parents when she told them and then the struggle that Joseph went through knowing that his beloved was with child and he had not "been with" her yet. The tradition back then in regards to a situation like this was very in humane. I loved to read how this may have all unfolded with the virgin Mary. great book!
Kimster
Nov 23, 2008 Kimster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard of this book on a nightime radio program. They were reading an excerpt from it and I was intrigued. I immediately went to the library and checked it out. I loved it. The story of Joseph and Mary told in a fictional way that was well researched by the author so that while reading it you have moments where you say to yourself, it could have been just like that. I highly recommend this book.
Vivienne
Jan 13, 2015 Vivienne rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, especially reading it during the Christmas season. At first I was unsure if I was going to like it, as I didn't want it to change the way I already envisioned the Christmas Story. But I feel in love with the characters and reading about what might have happened deepened my feelings about each important person in this most glorious birth. I want to read it again in December and perhaps make it one of my traditions. Thank you, Corinne, for recommending it for our Bookclub.
Tara Allman
Apr 24, 2013 Tara Allman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fictional story of Mary and Joseph with a Biblical prespective. The story is of how God may have come to choose these two unlikely individuals to be the parents of the coming Messiah, His son. A story of love, faith, and acceptance despite the judgments of the world. If you ever wonder just how Joseph may have felt since the Bible does not give you his account this book with give you a lot to think about.
Cissy
Jan 05, 2012 Cissy rated it really liked it
Excellent read for Christmas. The author has created a believable family and backstory for Mary, given context for those few beloved Bible verses. The characters are diverse and human and really made me wonder how I would have reacted to the entire, miraculous situation. The love story is strong and sweet and entirely good for a teenager to read and imagine.
Erin
Nov 21, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot better as a 14-yr-old than I did as an adult...but I still found it a beautiful love story. I can't imagine the pain of being Joseph OR Mary - the decisions they had to make, and the follow-though which they must have supported each other through. Not as well-written as I remember, but I'm glad to have reread it.
Diana
Mar 02, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
Great story. Really brings the traditional story to life. So many times, while reading it, I thought "Aah. Well that makes sense!" Insight to the customs of the time period, how people lived, details of what happened in the temples, and more, gave me a greater understanding and an appreciation for all of the untold stories within the Christmas story. I highly recommend this book!
Bekah
Dec 17, 2011 Bekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-book-club
This is the love story of Mary and Joseph and I REALLY enjoyed reading it at Christmastime! Mary and Joseph seem like real people to me now: they had fears, faults, and hormones, and they were also brave and full of faith. I never really thought about before how much they each sacrificed to be Christ's earthly parents. I'm sure I will be reading this again during future Christmas seasons.
Erin
Jun 20, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok
This was an OK book. I didn't really agree with the author's interpretation of the characters, especially Mary's parents. I could see why this would be appealing to read, most people like to read a good love story, right. But, the assumptions of how each person felt just didn't seem right to me.
Kate
Dec 27, 2009 Kate rated it did not like it
Shelves: cannot-finish
I thought this would be really nice to read, what with it being Christmastime and all, and I've had a secondhand copy kicking around since high school, but it reads like fanfiction about Joseph and Mary. And that's just ... creepy.
Kathi Salter
Dec 14, 2012 Kathi Salter rated it liked it
This was a sweet love story between Mary and Joseph. I never really think about the background of their lives and even though this was fiction, it made them seem real to me. I enjoyed it.
Priscilla
Nov 28, 2011 Priscilla rated it really liked it
I read this 20 years ago. I read it again this week. I still like it.
Richard Grebenc
Dec 12, 2016 Richard Grebenc rated it really liked it
Generally well done. Pretty well based on Scripture (I have some relatively minor quibbles), the rest is speculation. Joachim comes out pretty well, but Anna (rendered Hannah) does not do a lot to commend herself here. Joseph comes across as a lusty fellow but overall a good man. Mary mentions her own faults to the angel (thus we know this is not a Catholic rendering), but is generally made out to be the noble person she surely was.

Tempted to put it aside a few times, I felt rewarded in the auth
Erica T
Dec 14, 2016 Erica T rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This is the story of Mary and Joseph as love interests, as a couple, as the unexpected recipients of a miracle. Obviously the author had to fictionalize many of the details, as very little is actually written in the Bible about Mary and Joseph, but I loved that the author really got me to think of them as real people who faced real life situations. Mary was a very young mother and an unexplained pregnancy would have really made people wonder. Despite the challenges th ...more
Rachel D.
Nov 27, 2016 Rachel D. rated it really liked it
I usually don't enjoy books like this. I always worry that the author is taking too many freedoms with the personalities. This story was interesting though, and I found once I started that I couldn't put it down. I know it's all fictional, but the characters' personalities were believable and I enjoyed the way the author portrayed them.
Kylie Hood
Dec 21, 2016 Kylie Hood rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book detailing the love of Mary and Joseph! Then ultimately the birth of our lord and savior. It makes their struggles and doubts all to real and brings life into an almost mythical story.
Leslie
Dec 18, 2016 Leslie rated it liked it
I read it once about 15 years ago. Good insight into customs surrounding and influencing the first Christmas story.
  • The Big Fisherman
  • Julie
  • The Story of the Other Wise Man
  • The Enoch Letters
  • The Christmas Candle
  • A Banner Is Unfurled (A Banner is Unfurled, #1)
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Abish Mother of Faith
  • Christmas Rose
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown #2)
  • Rebekah (Women of Genesis, #2)
  • Chickens in the Headlights
  • Ruth
  • The Gambling Man
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Night Song: A Story of Sacrifice (World War II Liberator #2)
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blue
Marjorie Holmes (1910—2002) was an American columnist and best-selling Christian author of 134 books, 32 of which were best sellers. Holmes is known best for her biblical trilogy which began with the novel Two From Galilee, a love story about Mary and Joseph, published by Fleming H. Revell.
More about Marjorie Holmes...

“A vast tenderness swept him, and a great reverence. Now she belonged to him and her face was his to shield. In regret and joy he draped her, his personal Torah, which now must be returned to the ark to await their covenant.” 2 likes