Start by marking “Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques” as Want to Read:
Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques

Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques

Teaching Yoga is an essential resource for new and experienced teachers as well as a guide for all yoga students interested in refining their skills and knowledge. Addressing 100% of the teacher training curriculum standards set by Yoga Alliance, the world's leading registry and accreditation source for yoga teachers and schools, Teaching Yoga is also ideal for use as a co ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by North Atlantic Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Yoga

Lindsay
Oct 14, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
I found this book to be very helpful. It's geared towards teacher training students who want to know all of the basics. I used it to learn the names of all the poses (both English and Sanskrit); the history of yoga; bare bones info on the chakras, nidras, and Sutras; various styles to class sequencing; and pranayama.

However, there are a lot of problems with this book. The "Body Structure and Movement" section was a joke. It took intensive study of each section with my girlfriend who has taken ma
Andrea
Oct 11, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, yoga
>>Reading this as part of my 500-hr YTT.

Turns out we didn't actually use this book; it was just a recommended resource. I flipped through it and read a few parts here and there. It seems to be geared toward 200-hour vinyasa teacher trainees who want to teach advanced classes with things like arm balances and headstand. I didn't see any modifications for total beginners, older adults (such as chair yoga), or kids, which leads me to believe this book should actually have been titled, "Teachi
Monica
Aug 01, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it
There are many books on yoga but few give the needed breadth and depth. Much fewer is able to convey subject simply, in a way that the layman can understand. Most books touch on subject superficially, focussing just on beautiful pictures of asanas.

This is one of those books I would recommend, whether you are a teacher or a student. Mark Stephens is able to cover breadth yet he is able to do this simply so that interested student can use the basic understanding gained here to explore further and
Michelle
Dec 28, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga-philosophy, 2014
When I initially purchased this book I think YTT was a distant idea....Reading a book of this nature was really a starting point for me to learn about yoga. Very soon afterwards, my interest was thoroughly peaked and I was enrolled in YTT. This book was the most informative book that I found at the time to cover all aspects of teacher training and I particularly enjoyed the history of yoga section and modern styles and influences.

Mark Stephens also explained yogic energy, chakras, pranayama and
Laura Heiner
Jul 09, 2011 Laura Heiner rated it it was amazing
Mark Stephens really goes above and beyond when it comes to offering an excellent Yoga resource for teachers to reference. This book contains yoga history, pictures, and English and Sanskrit names for most used yoga poses (and I find that all other books I've purchased only list about half of what her offers - he really covers the majority of poses, including arm balances, inversions, etc...that a lot of other Yoga books stay away from). If you teach Yoga, especially if you're new and learning, ...more
Adam Levi
Sep 17, 2010 Adam Levi rated it it was amazing
As a yoga enthusiast I found this book tremendously helpful. I am in no way an expert, but I always find myself wanting to share with friends some of the exercises I have learned. The problem: I have ZERO mentoring or teaching skills. Teaching Yoga really helped me conquer this issue.

Circlesoflight.com published a perfect and succinct review of this essential book.

You can find it here!.

Brandi
May 04, 2012 Brandi rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
A lot of valuable information here, but the text seems to suppose that those whom you are or will be teaching are already fairly advanced. Adding to this, all of the asanas are given in their Sanskrit names with no reference to the English translations. That is okay with me, but it makes the book less accessible for some student readers (and even some teachers).
Cloay
Nov 03, 2011 Cloay rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-pilate
- available in SG NLB 613.704607 (Serangoon)

- a good book to keep as on going reference for yoga practitioner & teacher. If layout in a textbook format, hence it focus on yoga term & moves help me to increased my understanding. It give me a feeling of completeness in further understanding in the subject of yoga on whole.
Cherie
May 28, 2016 Cherie rated it it was amazing
This would be an excellent book for a teacher training program - or for any yoga teacher to read and review. There's pretty much EVERYTHING in here about putting together a class and teaching yoga. Great advice on sequencing, understanding the origin of asanas, instructions, anatomy. My copy is highlighted like crazy!
SarahYogaH20
May 25, 2015 SarahYogaH20 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it provides a good foundation of how to teach asanas and pranayama. I love Mark's balanced approach to presenting the background of yoga philosophies, history, and controversies. His own ethical stance toward teaching yoga shows in his writing.
Jenny
Nov 02, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
OUTSTANDING book on all the foundation and nuance of teaching yoga. A must-read for anyone looking to develop or refine their teaching (or personal) practice. Cannot recommend this book highly enough!
Susannah
Jan 16, 2011 Susannah rated it really liked it
Great resource for planning/teaching yoga. Good background info. on yogic styles & history of the practice. Only drawback is all poses are called by sanscrit terms. Not as user-friendly as it otherwise could be.
Orlando
Dec 29, 2010 Orlando rated it really liked it
mark's book is the most comprehensive one i've seen on the subject of *teaching* yoga. it can be read cover to cover, or used as a reference to motivate yourself to better your instruction and your own practice.
Brittany
Nov 07, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing
A great book if you are considering becoming a YTT.
Reading For Sanity
Oct 23, 2010 Reading For Sanity rated it really liked it
read this review and others at http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
Vipin Singh
popular yoga books
Karen
Sep 19, 2012 Karen is currently reading it
Good information so far! Some history; balanced opinions....
Shellee
Jan 28, 2014 Shellee rated it it was amazing
Love Mark Stephens. I find his writing very accessible. Great book for any teacher especially newer teachers.
Stephanie
Aug 19, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
An awesome book that I still reference when I am planning my classes. It's for teachers, aspiring teachers and students.
Shannon
Jul 30, 2013 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth reading even after 200 hours of education.
Josie Sanderson
Dec 08, 2014 Josie Sanderson rated it it was amazing
Great!
Marianne
Apr 01, 2013 Marianne rated it really liked it
Clear, easy to follow. Nice class sequences.
Jess
Mar 25, 2015 Jess rated it it was ok
Meh. Wish this book had more background and less jargon.
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
MaryJane Brodeck
MaryJane Brodeck rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Kumari De Silva
Kumari De Silva rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2016
Min Lee
Min Lee rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Fahad
Fahad rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2014
Adriana I. Gomez
Adriana I. Gomez rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Yoga And The Path Of The Urban Mystic
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga: The Authoritative Presentation-Based on 30 Years of Direct Study Under the Legendary Yoga Teacher Krishnamacha
  • Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga Anatomy
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: An Integrated Approach to Strength, Flexibility, & Focus
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice

“The ultimate language of yoga is expressed in doing yoga, a practice that transcends words as we open our lives to living more consciously through the infinite wisdom of the heart.” 2 likes
“Bahya Kumbhaka Introduce bahya kumbhaka after students are at ease doing antara kumbhaka. Guide them into ujjayi, bringing attention to the natural pause when empty of breath. Do several rounds of ujjayi, refining awareness of the movement in and out of that pause. With the first few retentions of the exhalation, hold for just one count and then do several rounds of seamless ujjayi before repeating. Gradually expand the count, staying with simple retention. Encourage students to keep their eyes, face, throat, and heart center soft and not to grip in their belly. Unlike inhalations, exhalations naturally stimulate mula bandha and uddiyana bandha.” 0 likes