Start by marking “The Letters Are Lost” as Want to Read:
The Letters Are Lost

The Letters Are Lost

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  23 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Long ago, all the letters of the alphabet were together in their box, but one by one they disappeared, and now the reader helps to find them.
Published January 1st 1999 by Turtleback Books (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Letters Are Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letters Are Lost

Corin
Genre: ABC Books
This fun alphabet book features a box of block letters that are lost in peculiar places. As each alphabet block is discovered, readers find many other items on the page that begin with the same letter. it is a book of great discoveries.
Themes: Alphabet
Ways to use the book: Read the book to students and enjoy the illustrations and finding all of the additional items that begin with each letter. At the end, the letters are together again, but the text prompts the reader that they a
Nicole Van Iwaarden
This book is about the alphabet letters and where they go when they are lost. What is interesting about this book is that each letter finds itself with items that begin with that letter. For instance P is in a bowl of popcorn. Additionally, there are other items in the picture that begin with the same letter. Consequently, this book could be used as a read aloud discussion because you could ask the kids to identify other items in the picture that begin with the letter on that page.
Ashley Frederick
I loved this book for primary age children! Even though it is "just a book abot ABC's" I really liked how Lisa Campbell Ernst made it int an adventure for this kids. The letter blocks are stacked neatly in their correct place, but one by one, they begin to disappear. So, the reader is supposed to help the charactersfind the letters by continuing to read the story. The location of the letters are linked to what letter they are. For example, the letter A was found flying an airplane,letter B was f ...more
Darlene
Genre - picture book

reading level - 1st and 2nd grade

topic and themes - the letters are all together and then they get lost

Curricula use -guided reading

social - can be used to show children that it's good to pick up their toys so you can find them when you want them

literary elements - personification

text and pictures - text and pictures are directly connected by every picture having the letter of the alphabet in the picture

summary - This book starts off with the letters all being together and th
Lisa Carroll
The Letters Are Lost by Lisa Campbell Ernst is an ABC book that my son and I enjoy reading together. Before the story begins, there is a picture of all the letters together, and my son would enjoy pointing out the letters that he knew. After reading this book, he would always want to play with his wooden blocks. The colors in the book are vivid and the words in the book were in large print. This is perfect for an emergent reader. Each letter has a page devoted to them along with an illustration ...more
Rida
So cute I think kids will like this book it's really fun and a new way to look at Alphabets
Cailey
A perfectly nice set of letter blocks slowly disappear. Lisa Campbell Ernst takes us on a journey to find the blocks. The search begins and the blocks are all appropriately placed, A is an airplane, B is the bath, until they are all together again. This is a great book to spark ones imagination, it asks, "Soon they will disappear again. Can you guess where they might go?" Great examples to teach the alphabet. The illustrations are directly related to the story, on each page the illustration has ...more
Lisa Schwartz
I think this is a great ABC book. It contains great pictures and for an ABC book, there's actually a little story/plot. At the end of the book, there is an activity for kids to create their own book and think about where the letters could end up. You can buy an inexpensive plastic photo album at the dollar store or arts & crafts store and take pictures of where you think the different letters ended up to create your own "letters are lost" book. It is a great way for young kids to learn all a ...more
Vanessa Arredondo
I found this book to be extremely creative on presenting the alphabet. The way it went through the alphabet is adequate because it teaches sentences and new vocabulary related to the letter. There is a white thick border around the illustration. The illustrations are also very colorful and there is a middle ground background. The distance is closer and personal. The text is mostly at the bottom of the illustration. I enjoyed reading this book.
Nicole
Mar 27, 2013 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nicole by: Parents as Teachers
Quite a cute ABC book. Carmen (almost 5) & I had fun reading through it once & then she wanted to read it a second time immediately after, so during that 2nd read I had her look in the picture to see if she saw anything else that started with the letter that wasn't mentioned in the text. She knows her letters, but can still use the practice on knowing beginning sounds of words. Asher (21 months) thought it was ok, a bit much for him yet!
Joseph Saborio
What can I say? The letters are lost, and found by turning the pages; there's an opportunity to interact with your audience (assuming you're reading this to someone) at the end of the book: "Soon the blocks will begin to disappear once more. Can you guess where they might go?"
Whitney Bailey
ABC book great for introducing letters and pictures for sight word recognition. Can be used by any teacher in a primary grade classroom to help teach students ABC order and how to read and spell general sight and high frequency words.
Ashley
This book is a great book to use with Kindergarteners to reinforce the alphabet. A page is devoted to each letter of the alphabet and pictures are shown with objects beginning with the letter.
Audrey Sanders
PICTURE BOOK
This is a very clever way to learn the alphabet. I felt that the pictures and the text supported each other. Very good representation of the letters of the Alphabet!
Ellen Dyer
FIRST BOOK I EVER READ ON MY OWN. 'Course, I was held against my will at two-years-old by my insane brother to finish the task of reading it, but i enjoyed it nontheless.
Heather
Alphabet books have been done better. The intro and conclusion seemed bulky and wordy and unnecessary- and it's a picture book! Picture book fail.
Azriana Johnson
What a creative way to present the alphabet. The author takes its readers on a journey to find the missing letters.
Inspired Kathy
One of my favorite alphabet books to read. My kids all enjoy this book and say again, again.
Monica
This alphabet book can open a great dialogue about where else the letters could be.
Stacy Vance
Great book when you are learning your letters. It also reinforces letter recognition.
Morbus Iff
One of your oft-picked. You love how "T helped to squish out the Toothpaste."
Grannyreadsalot
Alphabet book - better than most, but still weird phonics like a for airplane
Andd Becker
Children will enjoy reading this picture book.
BGCC
BGCC marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
R.
R. added it
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Gingerbread Girl The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale (Stories to Go!) Stella Louella's Runaway Book The Turn-Around, Upside-Down Alphabet Book