Start by marking “Damn, It Feels Good to Be A Banker: And Other Baller Things You Only Get to Say If You Work On Wall Street” as Want to Read:

In one word: egregious.

Damn It Feels Good To Be A Banker is a Wall Street epic, a war cry for the masses of young professionals behind desks at Investment Banks, Hedge Funds, and Private Equity shops around the world. With chapters like "No. We do not have any `hot stock tips' for you," "Mergers are a girl's best friend," and "Georgetown? I wouldn't let my maids' kids go t
Published August 5th 2008 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Damn, It Feels Good to Be A Banker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn, It Feels Good to Be A Banker

Misericordia ❣
Top-of-the-art trolling. High-five the author(s).
Joey Skarzenski
Feb 27, 2017 Joey Skarzenski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great anthology of the iconic Leveraged Sell-Out articles online. Top notch trolling and satire piece on the high finance lifestyle.
Kunal
Dec 05, 2012 Kunal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw the title of this book and knew it was just one of those books that you have to read to see what it is all about. It is written by a Princeton kid who just finished up his first year as an analyst at a bulge bracket Investment Banking firm in 2006 and has already received his offer to go to a top tier private equity firm. Although he overdoes and makes the book sound outlandish for added effect, their is a great deal of truth in the book as well.

To sum up the book, the kid is what I would d
Anandh Sundar
Nov 22, 2010 Anandh Sundar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depending on whom you ask, investment bankers are either greedy, overpaid parasites or the physical/intellectual cream of society. The former views have dominated popular literature while the latter persists on career forums and in real life(why else do Ivy League grads want these jobs?).

This book is a must read to understand the core of investing banking roles. Be warned though that the author pulls no punches and makes no apologies. People in non bulge-bracket banks with fragile sentiments sho
Shahzar Khan
Jul 27, 2014 Shahzar Khan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A more appropriate title for this book would be "Damn! It feels good to be a hubris filled fuckhole of a banker"

This book can be found in almost all the major "Essentials for MBA aspirants" book lists, lauding the author's wit and the seldom occasion when a 'real banker'(an euphemism referring to a nefarious cunt who is paid for advising people on how to lose money) steps up to explain the concepts and environment of the wall street.

The book begins with the author mastrubating to his memory of g
Rahul
Feb 05, 2012 Rahul is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just happened to read this Absolutely epic ,it’s a bit dated now (it came out in 2008, which may as well have been another planet), but it’s great for laughs and takes a fun look at investment banking. Alternatively, it can serve as a much-needed ego stroke if you’re feeling down about your job.
I laughed uproariously at the final chapter, in which Logan and company descend upon an unsuspecting nightclub, banker jams blasting and performing unique financial dance moves (including the unstoppable
Philip
May 04, 2009 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!!!!

I've never laughed this hard from anything I've read (ever) and from anything that I've watched (since Borat). It all culminates in the final scene:

"I'm Ashley," she offers eagerly, bouncing and waving.

"Oh, I know," I respond instinctively. Then I add: "I work on the Buy Side."

It's full of random esoteric jokes about finance (pronounced, of course, like "finn ance") and hilariously elitist diggs. But if the above quote isn't funny, it's probably not your style...
Josh Gatlin
Sep 09, 2014 Josh Gatlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most hilarious and entertaining reads I have ever come across. While it takes an elite level of self-confidence to enjoy / get though, if you can take it for what it was intended to be - you won't put it down until it's finished. The ultimate execution of humorous satire / so convincingly written it may not be. Even for someone in Investment Banking, I had to shrug off numerous blows, it ultimately serves as a perfect illustration of banking culture and hierarchy - with the theory of ...more
Tim O'Hearn
Oct 23, 2016 Tim O'Hearn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-books-in-2016
This is a fantastic piece of satire. To have come out in 2008, ten years ago as far as I'm concerned, and still pack so much punch is incredible. The stories are laugh-out-loud hilarious. I often stopped reading to send a quote to my banking friends. That would turn into a twenty minute tangent. For a book that is forgettable by design (a month later I recall nothing), it's curious that it didn't resurface when Straight To Hell was published. By all measures, this book is much better.
Jay Cunningham
Jun 14, 2012 Jay Cunningham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Save your money and avoid this book. Complete waste of time and money. I wanted to put the iPad down after 2 pages, but I finished it because I didn't want to waste my money. Still a waste. This guy is a joke and a serious poser. This book was awful and adds NO insights to what Wall Street is like or even about, and no insight on firms or investing. Just a tool who doesn't realize he is embarrassing himself.
Chris
Nov 14, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An effective parody of the snobbery and greed that propel the toiling spreadsheet jockeys of finance. No doubt useful to anthropologists one day, although it does little for one's mood. More comprehensive, but not as funny, as the Web site that came before. http://www.leveragedsellout.com/ Ironically, the author was a consultant. The bankers he mocks are too busy making money to write a book like this.
Will Thompson
Sep 03, 2016 Will Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unreservedly Pretentious - Thus Enjoyable

The author, from his pedestal of private equity self-absorption, showers us with anecdotes of wealthy excess amongst Wall Street twenty-somethings. He provides various guises, to women, fashion, and music, but also stratifying America's top universities value to Wall Street.

Unabashedly solipsistic but undeniably enjoyable.
Ian
Feb 04, 2014 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely glorious. A wonderful send-up of the taking things way too seriously Wall Street culture, highlighting both the breathtaking highs and stunning lows of investing bankers. As a former hedge fund analyst, I was exposed to these vagaries from a safe distance, and yet I still found myself grimmingly nodding my head with many of the stories.
Jeremy Raper
Nov 24, 2012 Jeremy Raper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty withering critique of the pre-financial crisis banker lifestyle. From someone who works in finance, this book is VERY accurate and right on point. Somewhat dated post crisis, but still very funny and enjoyable reading, especially for those who work in the industry.
Mcatania21
So far, this book is irritatingly entertaining. The unnamed author is pompous, arrogant, and demeaning. The more I read, the angrier I got, yet I kept reading. I wouldn't normally waste my time reading a book like this, but it was for a book club
Jose
Feb 22, 2009 Jose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very funny if you have worked in Banking and can put his comments into perspective. very instructive and indicative of why some investment banks had to close doors. I question he is only 24 at the time of writing as he sounds more senior than that.
Christina
Aug 06, 2008 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bankers or Wannabe bankers
his Blog is great, but the book was eh......not as great. I agree with Banker Chick that he is racist, sexist and whatever else she accused him of. Someone needs to write a book about banking from a girls point of view.
Julia
Jul 28, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious... recommended for anyone in the financial industry or anyone who has ever met one of these d*bags in NY. Not as relevant now given the recession but definitely rang true up until recently.
Lisa
Sep 12, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hugely ridiculous book - but you have to laugh at the guys profiled in the book, a fun fluff read and guide to that world!
Darryl Stangry
Would only read if you have worked in banking, otherwise not really funny. Not as comical as some of the more mainstream humor books (Shit My Dad Says, etc.)
Edward Monrad
Dec 07, 2011 Edward Monrad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trading
Hilarious satire.
Simon
Feb 13, 2009 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Funny parody/satire, but remember it is fictional. Still worth a few laughs.
Adrian Wong
Oct 19, 2016 Adrian Wong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book ever
Jan 17, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
!
Yuqi
Oct 25, 2014 Yuqi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny if you've never worked in finance or dislike affected douchebaggery (came off as trying too hard to be unlikeable)
Tapan Oza
I dont know whether to be disgusted or envious.
Emily
May 29, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Paul Henderson
May 29, 2011 Paul Henderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is worth a read to just laugh out loud. Leveraged Sellout's blog is much better but it was a fun read for anyone in the finance world.
Michael Losurdo
Michael Losurdo rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Anuj
Anuj rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
  • Theory & Practice of Gamesmanship
  • The Accidental Investment Banker: Inside the Decade That Transformed Wall Street
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • At Home with the Marquis de Sade: A Life
  • Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the Soul of Morgan Stanley
  • Monkey Business: Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle
  • The Money Culture
  • Savage Art: A  Biography of Jim Thompson
  • Why I Hate Canadians
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • Dalí
  • Heard on The Street: Quantitative Questions from Wall Street Job Interviews
  • Francis Bacon: 1909-1992
  • Genet
  • King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone
  • The Dark Side of Valuation: Valuing Old Tech, New Tech, and New Economy Companies
  • Broken Markets: How High Frequency Trading and Predatory Practices on Wall Street Are Destroying Investor Confidence and Your Portfolio
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Personal Finance