Start by marking “Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition” as Want to Read:
Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition

Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Hare and the Tortoise. The Lion and the Mouse. The Boy Who Cried Wolf. The Jackdaw and the Borrowed Plumage. For generations, these titles and scores of others have been synonymous with the best in the timeless literature of childhood. Although he was probably as mythical as the tales attributed to him, the legendary name of Aesop has been associated for thousands of y ...more
Published September 1st 1990 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Aesop's Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aesop's Fables

Rebecca Catlett
For my folklore review I chose Aesop’s Fables. It has many tales in the book but my favorite is The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse. It is about a town mouse who visits a country mouse. The town mouse thinks the country mouse is eating poorly so he invites him to his house to eat. When they both arrive there is a big dinner for them on a table so they begin to eat. All of a sudden a stranger walks in and the two mice run off. After the stranger leaves the two mice go back to the table when anot ...more
Jacki
Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition is a folklore book intended for Primary and Intermediate readers.

The book contains a collection of various fables which can be enjoyed by children of various ages. As is the case with all fables, animals talk and lessons are learned.

This particular collection of fables is nicely done and includes colorful pictures with each fable. The plot and themes are classic and children will not only enjoy the individual stories, but they may learn something too
Janice Villwock
K-4th Read aloud/independent reading
This edition of Aesop's Fables has a selection of fables with 40 color illustrations and 20 black and white. There are introduction pages before the fables, a source page for the illustrations and an acknowledgment page. Most of the fables in this book feature an animal and all contain a moral at the end. Children will appreciate the short length of the fables instead of being drawn out. The sentences vary in length and the typeset would be easy for children t
Brennan Wieland
It appears that even though many of these fables are accredited to Aesop, many of them may not actually have been written by him. Either way, these fables continue to be developed and adapted to each author's style.
Out of the many fables of this books, I read "The Singing Crow", and "The Fox and the Goat". All of these fables are short and to the point, with these two being no exception. Even though they are short, they all teach a lesson. In "The Singing Crow" the lesson was to beware of those
Skylar Burris
I read most of these as a child, and I am in the process of reading them to my daughter now, out of the Children's Illustrated Library (I don't have this specific version, but I could not find that one to log.) I think it's important to read them as a matter of cultural literacy (to have the cultural vocabulary--slow and steady wins the race; sour grapes; etc.), but as stories in and of themselves, they aren't precisely mesmerizing. For a child, however, they are short and to the point, and they ...more
Dani Paiz
This was my first introduction to reading Aesop's Fables. I remember hearing some of Aesop's fables when I was growing up, like "The Tortoise and the Hare" but I do not ever remember reading them. I was surprised how short his fables are. This was a cute book, and every fable had a moral at the end of it. This would be good for narrative skill, and print awareness. I'd recommend it for ages 0-6.
Debora Henriques
As fábulas que todos conhecemos, numa edição muito bonita com ilustrações de calibre. A montanha que pariu um rato, a lebre e a tartaruga, a cigarra e a formiga e o burro em pele de leão são pequenas histórias com morais deliciosas que nos acompanham no dia-a-dia sem nunca perderem expressão. Vale sempre a pena recordá-las!
Jason
Exquisite illustrations paired with clear and consistent but sometimes painfully-stilted tellings of these familiar tales. The stories are upright and respectable, and their morals are fine, but neither of my daughters are really that excited about them; this is a book I read them because *I* want to.
Cj
This book talks about different stories dealing with morals of societies everyday life experiences. It has good illustrations for children to view or gain an idea sense of what/where our morals come from. I really liked how each story matched the moral staying, example would be the "
Kat
The Classic Illustrated format works fabulously for this collection. The short, one-paragraph versions of the classic stories lend themselves well to the variety of artistic styles.
April
Sep 02, 2009 April rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dawson
It was neat to read this for the historical aspect but more than a few of these were kind of hard to follow, or at least find the moral. It was kind of like reading the Dao.
Jenette
Complete book, read to my kids, had a great discussion with them on the meaning of the fable and what the moral means. Great wisdom for life.
Stephanie
Mildly entertaining, but I feel I have a better moral compass having read these tales.
Sella Malin
I love his fables. Another thing I read for English in third grade.
Amy Williams
great story's with stupid and pointless meaning
Rosalinda Saclote
Rosalinda Saclote marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rahul Patel
Rahul Patel marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Alana
Alana added it
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Russell Ash is best known for his annual 'The Top Ten of Everything' and other popular reference works, but he is also the author of numerous humour titles. His extensive research work encompasses biographical studies and genealogy.
More about Russell Ash...
Bizarre Books Folklore, myths and legends of Britain Whitaker's World of Facts 2009 (Hardcover) Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema Top 10 of Everything 2011