Start by marking “The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales

The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales

Five original stories with the flavor of classic folk literature focus on the themes of love, truth, fear, and kindness.
Published March 1st 1974 by Thomas Y. Crowell

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales

Tracy
Sep 17, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was about ten years old and the story of the Girl Who Cried Flowers has haunted me ever since. I've read and loved a lot of Jane Yolen's fiction since then but I've never been able to find a copy of this. It is a gorgeous sad story. Funny how I always love the sad ones. I remember the illustrations were exquisite. I just found it on Amazon (yay for the Internet) and I ordered it. Hopefully I will get it soon so I can read it again.
Awards and Recognitions: Golden Kite Award – 1974, Nominated for National Book Award – 1975
This collection contains five original fairy tales and is illustrated with a combination of black and white drawings and color illustrations reminiscent of the Art Nouveau style. The title story, set in ancient Greece, is about of a girl who, instead of tears, cries flowers. She’s named Olivia after the olive tree she was found in. People from all over come to her for flowers, so she spends her days happy
Relyn
Jul 21, 2013 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Jane Yolen.
First, you should know that I buy every old book I see that is written by Jane Yolen. She has been so prolific that many, many of her original fairy tales are out of print. She returns to this genre from time to time, but many of her tales were printed in the 70s and are hard to find. At $2.25, this book was the best bargain I've found in years.

Just a little plug for a favorite book store: If you are any where near Salem, Oregon, you should visit Escape Fiction. We were regular customers when w
Michele
Jan 05, 2014 Michele rated it it was amazing
I found this book for sale at my old library years ago and will keep it forever. The five stories contained are short but memorable, and I vividly remember them still after years of first reading them. Silent Bianca, about a woman who's voice is heard through melted ice-shards, is my favorite.

The illustrations by David Palladini are gorgeous. If I ever have children, I would love to read them these stories before they sleep. They're the perfect bedtime fairytales. If you ever get your hands on
Siobhan
Mar 08, 2013 Siobhan rated it it was amazing
This was one of the very first books that I took out of the elementary school library as a little girl. In fact- I took it out so many times that when I graduated 6th grade, the Liberian gifted that copy to me.

This is an extremely thin book of striking tales that stay with you. I also find that it is a book I can still pick up now and get that same feeling as my much younger self. The illustrations are beautiful and simple, and strike just the right feelings. While I'm not sure that every child
Linda
Dec 30, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
I once borrowed this book from the library, and it changed my idea of storytelling, fairytales, and tragedy forever. I only read a part of it, and never picked it up again. I always meant to...but never did.

Then one day, while perusing through Amazon's book department, I suddenly remembered Jane Yolen. I ordered the book right away. More in-depth review to come once I receive the book.
Deborah
Dec 31, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: x2011, kids
Was listed on the What's the Name of that Book group for the hunt of the story of a woman who spoke frozen words that had to be melted in order to hear what the woman was saying. Who wouldn't want to read that story? This book is made up of 5 fairy-tale style stories all original and thought provoking.
Melissa McClintock
I took a children's book writers class in college. Heard of Jane Yolen and picked up one of her books to check out what the Prof was speaking about. I never stopped reading her, and I am 42. Plus my 15 yo still likes her work, and it's nice there are some things we can both read that we like, since it's sometimes the only neutral ground we have
louisa
Not heavily illustrated, but those it has are high quality. Melancholy sometimes wry tales, per usual with Yolen.
Janet Fraser
Mar 21, 2013 Janet Fraser rated it it was amazing
This may be the very best book of fairy tales ever written! Excellent storylines, beautiful language, engaging characters. Read it.
Lorraine
Jun 08, 2012 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Another one of those books that I remember checking out, over and over and over again when I was in elementary school. The illustrations and the stories have never left me.
Annie Zole
Jan 31, 2008 Annie Zole rated it it was amazing
This book is so crazy good, if you like the "original fairy tale" feel. Honestly it is so super good.
June Pecchia
Mar 26, 2012 June Pecchia rated it it was amazing
Giving it a 5 based on the title story... what a lovely tale with the image I'll never forget of a person crying flowers. Jane Yolen is a genius; read her early and often...
Kelsey
Best folk tales I've read since "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" from J.K. Rowling. And THOSE weren't even ancient.
Kaylee Vandyke
Kaylee Vandyke rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2009
Kristina Wojtaszek
Kristina Wojtaszek rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2008
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Jessica Blair
Jessica Blair rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2012
Amelia
Amelia rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2012
James Sarah Madison
James Sarah Madison rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Alana
Alana rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What's The Name o...: Children's Book: Woman speaks frozen words [s] 17 218 Jan 28, 2012 09:18AM
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • The Christmas Creed
  • The Serpent Slayer: And Other Stories of Strong Women
  • Sarah's Unicorn
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
  • Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England
  • Off with their heads!: fairy tales and the culture of childhood
  • Folk and Fairy Tales
  • British Folk Tales and Legends: A Sampler
  • One Halloween Night
  • How Fletcher Was Hatched
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons
  • Little Miss Christmas
  • The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...