Start by marking “Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)” as Want to Read:
Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)

Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower #5)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  68,800 ratings  ·  1,696 reviews
Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, the Dark Tower series is unlike anything you have ever read. Here is the fifth installment.
Published January 4th 2005 by Scribner (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wolves of the Calla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolves of the Calla

Kemper
If someone would have told me back in the ‘90s that the way to get Stephen King to finish up the Dark Tower series quickly was to hit him with a minivan, I would have been on my way to Maine to rent a Dodge Caravan before you could say ’Bango Skank was here.’

I would have mown him down with no more regret than running down a pedestrian in a Grand Theft Auto video game. This is a man who has done me no physical harm and provided me with countless hours of entertainment over the years, and yet I wo
Kathryn
May it do ya fine. This book did me real fine. Say thank ya.

I must be picking up the language from Calla Bryn Sturgis/Mid-World because it seems lately, I've been saying the speech of the people. I almost said, "Thankee-sai" as I was handed my receipt today at the grocery store. "Say thankee" I didn't.

Anyways, I'll stop being silly. (The grocery store thing is true, however.) What a fan-freaking-tastic book. I really enjoyed the town of Calla Bryn Sturgis, the people, and I LOVED the way they s
Rhiannon
Mar 15, 2011 Rhiannon rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of westerns, masochists
Recommended to Rhiannon by: Uwdave
It is as though Stephen King:
1. Took me out to an arid, deserted sepia-toned no-place
2. Lit a sputtering campfire that quickly faded to embers
3. Handcuffed me
4. Sat me down Indian-style across from him
5. Proceeded to narrate to me in a hoarse, bored drawl over a series of three-to-four weeks the world's longest, most uninteresting story while my head lolled back, my lips grew dry with thirst, and my bum ached

If this book had been written by any writer other than Stephen King, it would never have
Dan
And so it was, three and a half years ago, that I stopped reading Stephen King altogether. Having begun him at age 12, and having read every single book up to that point, by my mid-twenties I was definitely reading his new stuff out of habit alone. But I was still looking forward to finishing the "Dark Tower" series.

And I never did. Because I read this book, which contains more filler than I thought you could put in 700 pages, and which confirmed that King had disappeared so far up his own ass t
Dan Schwent
The 2011 re-read:
Roland and his ka-tet of gunslingers ride into Calla Bryn Sturgis, a town with a problem. Once every generation, a gang of marauders called The Wolves ride out of Thunderclap and steal half of the town's children. The ones that return come back roont, or brain-damaged. Can Roland and the others stop the Wolves before Susan gives birth to the demon in her womb?

It was a long wait between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. Was it worth it? Well, does a horse piss where it pl
Sesana
There's a lot going on here. Luckily, it has the page count so nothing feels rushed. Because there's a new character (really an old one if you read a lot of King) and his backstory, and travel between worlds, and a demonic fetus, and a child-stealing evil to vanquish... Plenty to keep me avidly listening through 22 discs of audiobook.

That new-but-now character is Father Callahan, late of 'Salem's Lot. I wasn't exactly clamoring to see this guy again, and I doubt very many other people were. But
Wendell Adams
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Wolves of the Calla was one of those novels that it took me a while to actually "get into" (A four month hiatus between reading attempts to be precise.), but once I did, it was enjoyable. Not a masterpiece like several of the preceding Dark Tower novels, but interesting enough for me to continue the journey to the Dark Tower with Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy.

The story itself begins with Roland and his ka-tet moving s
Fanny
Although many readers of this series liked this volume the least, I found it to be the most moving and exciting of them all. It appears to be a departure from the path of the Beam but in truth it is just another part of the journey of the Ka-Tet and very much on the path to the Dark Tower, bringing them closer. It is well tied in to all the past books, and it is in this book that we meet Father Callahan, from Salem's Lot. It was while reading this book that I completely fell in love with the cha ...more
Brandon
The Ka-Tet of Nineteen’s skills are requested when a gang of marauders threaten an entire generation of townsfolk. As Gunslingers, Roland and company are unable to refuse those who seek their assistance so they quickly begin preparing for battle. Susannah Dean, pregnant with a demon’s child, has yet another personality arise during her sleep. Her name is “Mia” and she may prove to be very, very dangerous.

There is a lot going on in King’s fifth entry of his acclaimed Dark Tower saga. Susannah’s o
Stephen
6.0 stars. In a long career which includes more great books and best sellers than I can count, "The Dark Tower" series is Stephen King's masterpiece. Even if you don't like Stephen King, you will love this series as it is one of the best Fantasy series ever written. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!

Nominee: Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel (2003)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (2003)
Mike (the Paladin)
The story continues.....wow does it. Okay this book is the one that seems at times to take itself a little less seriously yet still does it without once ceasing to be dark, depressing, and foreboding.

Actually a pretty good trick if you can pull it off.

This book continues King's "tying together" his multiverse, but with oh so much more. In this book we get not only parallels with other popular fiction...but comic books and even Harry Potter.... There's also a story element that I can never stop
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
3.5

This is probably my second favorite of the series.

As with other books, most of the stuff that I like the best are little character things. Seeing a new side of Roland, Jake's moments of actually being a boy, and both Eddie and Jake's growth into and acceptance of their role as gunslingers, (and, of course, Oy and his particular antics). Susannah, and her role in things, remains my least favorite part of the tet.

I also like the parts with Callahan, and I especially like the religious discussio
Becky
For a long time, this was my favorite book of the series. I love it, the way it just ratchets up the tension, bit by bit, and how we get to know these people, this town and the horror that they have lived with every generation for over 100 years.

This is where the series really becomes amazing. I love Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands, but Wolves of the Calla takes these characters that we've had several books' worth of time to get used to and shows us each of them in a different light.

I
David
I finished this 5th part of the 7 part saga last weekend. I think the reason I like Stephen King's Dark Tower series so much is that I basically don't like Stephen King's writing. And the Dark Tower is different from his usual horror-junked garbage. It's an epic tale that takes a rag-tag team of heroes through a fantasy adventure. Yes, there is the grim horror filled "Kingesque" style to it but even the master of horror himself will tell you that the Tower series is unlike his usual work. What I ...more
Kandice
Yet another excellent addition to the Dark Tower series. Before I address the book, I want to say that, as a man, I love Stephen King. In the afterward, when he says he will be donating the profits of the audio book to Frank Muller's family, and explains why...I know King is wealthy, and can certainly afford the gesture, but how many people in a position to help others actually DO it?

This may be my favorite installment yet. It kept the Western Fairytale feel of W&G which I loved so much. Th
Rob
Executive Summary: While I don't feel this to be as strong of an entry as the previous two books, it is still a good book in it's own right. Besides if you've made it this far in the series, how can you really stop now?

Audio book: Since I listed to the revised edition of The Gunslinger, I got a taste of George Guidall at the start of my audio journey with Roland on my quest for the tower. I found him to be good, but not great.

Then with The Drawing of the Three, it reverted back to Frank Muller w
Janie Johnson
I had to give this book a 5 star rating after completing it. When I started the book and read about midway I was aiming for a 4 star rating, convinced that The Waste Lands was to forever be my favorite. But upon completion my mind was changed and it definitely does deserve a 5 star and also tops my favorite list of Dark Tower novels.

The characters of course are still brilliantly written, including the new characters that get introduced into the story, and possibly a new member to their ka-tet. B
Maggie K
I have to say that I am enjoying this series a lot more than expected....I would have guessed that the self-references and such would have thrown me off...and that this installment, which was a big detour, would have put me off. But no, I am happily planning to see what happens next!

Here, Roland and co. stop to assist a small town with its 'wolves' invasion...an invasion that steals the towns children every 23 years. Tie that in with the pregnancy of Susannah...and we have a downright theme goin
Nick
I dived into the second half of the Dark Tower series apprehensively. It seems it is widely thought that this is the point at which the series starts going downhill. I can agree to a point.

Much like Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla is a really, really long build up to a pretty satisfying end. In other terms, Wolves of the Calla is hours upon hours of foreplay leading up to some relatively short sex.

A major complaint here, and I assume with other fans, is that Roland and his ka-tet journey
Dawn
I've put off reviewing this for long enough! Not because it wasn't good... I was just too busy reading the rest of the series to bother with it. I kind of couldn’t put it down. But alas, I'm afraid that if I don't do it now, I'll never do it. I'm already 2/3 of the way through book seven.. It's now or never! So let me just take a moment to get back into that post Wolves mindset.. Ok, here we go.

LOVED IT! This is definitely my favorite of the series thus far. It's finally all starting to make sen
Kit★
Last read this book March 20th through 24th, 2010, and that was my second time through. This time was my third, and I was sort of looking forward to it with mixed feelings of dread and excitement. I've put off writing this review now for like a week, and it's high time I get crackin' on it so I can hurry and get to #6. I like this installment a lot, and yet at the same time it's not one of my upper rated ones in the series. It's sort of tough to describe. What I like is that after not seeing muc ...more
Neil Crossan
Dear Courageous Author:
If you’ve spilled your creative bucket a few a years ago, but feel you have to go through the motions because your fans demand a conclusion to Roland’s adventures I understand that. But that’s not an excuse to write a 15lb 700+ page time waster and then charge me $35 for it and then at the end ask for a charitable contribution. No it isn’t.
Mr. King you’re the man. You have 3 books in my all time lists (The Stand, The Shinning & Night Shift) but this book clearly sign
Lee
This was my first read of this book and I must say I loved it. I don't even know where to begin with the review. The character as always are amazing as well as the story itself. I really enjoyed Jake's story line in the book. We get to see him be a kid again and we also get to see him grow up. He has a hard road in this book, but like Roland, I think he will be okay.

I like the blending of stories, what is real and what is not real. These are questions left to ask, or is everything real depending
Nico
I guess once you are hooked to this series, which happens at the Drawing of the Three at the latest, you can't stop reading. It reminds me of Lost where the plot also was totally strange and you didn't really have a clue what's going on.
As always King builds the tension very slowly, but steadily until the very end. I enjoyed some of the subplots, some where just boring. But King belongs to the few authors, who can carry the book with the characters rather than with the plot. When I first starte
Ksenia Anske
Come-come-commala. Step into the truest American tale there is and say thankya. Do ya ken? Kick up dust with your boots along American roads that may look like they're in the past, but may be, in fact, from the future. Open doors in-between worlds, travel far and near as Rolands all famous ka-tet of Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and, of course, the talking billy bumbler, Oy. Meet priests, three types of vampires, even get a glimpse of a zombie. Perhaps. Perhaps better. Meet Andy, the talking robot tin ...more
Ana
It's hard, ok? It's horrible.

It's debilitating to like an author so much that you absolutely HAVE to read every single thing they've ever written.

And it's even worse when you genuinely like their writing, because then you're caught in this never ending circle of torture, the slow kind, where you don't want to finish the book, but you actually want to, and even you don't know what you want to do with your life anymore.

Stephen King, one thing I can surely say about you: you made me dream. That i
Michael Benavidez
From what I can tell, this book is one of the ones with the biggest gaps. And the one that you can tell the style having grown to the current King.
That being said, I don't think it damns the book into the bad that people may say. Mostly because it goes back into what the Dark Tower started as, a Western with tendencies towards the fantastical.

However it does introduce many things that the last book didn't really give too much on, and instead of answering it, it bludgeons us with the mystery. H
Mitchel Broussard
Okay, I'll be brief here, because I don't want to talk about why I didn't like it as much as the previous books and make me hate myself. Here's three simple reasons why:

1.) It's a 700 page book who's entire plot reaches its climax (the not subtly hinted at battle with the Wolves) 25 pages before the ending.

2.) The middle section includes a sometimes over-stuffed back story on a character from another King book who I could care less about; complete with very detailed spoilers of said book. Well t
F.R.
After reading ‘Wizard and Glass’ I was in a quandary whether to go straight onto ‘The Wolves of the Calla’, or take a little detour into ‘The Wind through the Keyhole’. After all King has provided us with a new chapter, and no doubt when ‘The Dark Tower’ is reprinted in years to come it will slide itself in to be the fifth instalment and everything else will be bumped up. I was advised by my own constant readers that ‘The Wind through the Keyhole’ is eminently miss-able (I thank you) and so skip ...more
Dustin

Hmmm... what to say about Wolves.. It's been about a week and a half since I finished reading it, and I remain uncertain as to how I actually feel about it.

First and foremost is Sai King's exquisite writing. It has never disappointed me in the past, and this certainly isn't an exception. If anything, my second journey with Roland and his ka-tet has served to heighten my heartfelt appreciation and respect for his work.
I also love the Calla, how it's vividly described, and all it entails. I esp
  • The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery
  • The Stand, Volume 5: No Man's Land
  • Everville (Book of the Art, #2)
  • City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #2)
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • Necroscope IV: Deadspeak (Necroscope, #4)
  • Legends
  • O Festim dos Corvos
  • 20th Century Ghosts
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright.” 323 likes
“No one ever does live happily ever after, but we leave the children to find that out for themselves.” 272 likes