Start by marking “Hedge Fund Wives” as Want to Read:
Hedge Fund Wives

Hedge Fund Wives

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  72 reviews
In this amazingly timely story about what the wealthy do when Wall Street lays an egg, the author of Gilding Lily once again delivers a witty and insightful treatment of today's woman, as she explores the sacrifices they make, the bargains they strike, the rules they follow, and what happens when it all starts to fall apart.

Who could have guessed that Wall Street would go...more
Published August 6th 2009 by Avon (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hedge Fund Wives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedge Fund Wives

Anne Kadet
Asinine. Predictable. I couldn't put it down.
Amanda
Hedge Fund Wives was a fast and interesting enough read. Books like these are my guilty pleasure and somehow I take an interest in looking into the lives of the rich and the richer.

Marcy is the protagonist which I immediately took a liking to. She struggles with very real situations that real life women can easily relate to. Despite her wealth, she remained humble and had a sympathetic and clear view of the world and it was interesting to see her battle against the facades of the supposed upperc...more
Cheryl
Marcy and her husband, John Emerson are packing up and leaving their hom in the Windy city of Chicago and heading for New York City. John has been offered a really good job for a hedge fund company called Zenith Capital.

Now Marcy is being invited to some of the biggest parties including a baby shower for one of the other hedge fund wives. Caroline is the happy mother to be but don't go congratulating her as she is having the baby by surrogate. While attending the shower, Marcy meets Jillian Love...more
Read Between the Pages
Hedge Fun Wives is the second novel coming from Tatiana Boncompagni. It holds some resemblance to her first novel, in the fact that it’s about the rich, and the inner workings of their lives. This book overall to me was cheesy to say the least. And honestly, that wasn’t too bad of a thing.

Hedge Fund Wives is about a woman named Marcy and her husband named John. The two have been married for 5 years, their lives seeming to get better and better with each year. John starts working at a hedge fund,...more
Csutton624
Great book - and not the typical NYC socialite chic lit. Only because there was some interesting background info to the recession and the wall street industry. However, got a little detailed and above my brain. I did like the main character because she ends up being strong and not walked over. However, I sometimes wonder how these women in these books take it from these men! Are women really like that today?

I read on another review that someone didn't like the Warren character and I quote "What...more
S.
Believe it or not, this is professional reading for me. The plot was predictable and the writing very average, but it was a fast read and a probably somewhat accurate portrait of this overly privileged world. This genre of novels of the world of wealthy financiers serve to allow the average reader to feel superior (the rich all cheat on their spouses, they are terrible parents, they have no real friendships), while devouring every last detail about the parties, the cars and the designer clothing...more
Melissa
I picked up this book from the paperbacks stand at the library. It was an OK read and I finished it more because it was there rather than the story really grabbed me & drew me in.
Denise
I liked this book better than the book, Ex-Mrs Hedge fund, even though the plots were almost identical. There was more drama and a faster pace to this. I liked the backdrop of the recession against all the excess.
What I did not like was the Warren character. I think he had too small a part to play. He seems great, the hero and then he falls and then he sneaks back in the end. I would have liked to see more of his relationship with Marcy. It is hard for me to believe that women today actually p...more
Alice Oakley
This was an OK read. That's all I can say about it really - it was OK. I didn't really feel much sympathy for Marcy, and I think that's probably the point of the book. I don't particularly care to read about men with too much money with wives who don't work. Also, being English, I have to admit I'm a little bit ignorant about the whole "Wall Street" thing, I don't really understand what sort of jobs these men do. I did enjoy the second half a little bit more, where Marcy started to stand on her...more
Tatiana M. Ross
It's a great read for art brokers living in NYC. Otherwise, just a glorified cat-fight.
Beth Agejew
Hege Fund Wives is definitely a guilty pleasure. It is a perfect beach read.
Melissa
Could not put it down, definitely a page turner!
Cynthia
It was good chic-lit.
Charlotte
I will never be a Hedge Fund Wife. I will never have millions of dollars to decorate my apartment. But, no longer do I believe that all Hedge Fund Wives are like the women of "Real Housewives of New York City". Tatiana Boncompagni has written a great book at a real woman. A strong woman dealing with hard issues. Not only does Marcy Emerson survive, she thrives.

Hedge Fund Wives is a great book. I thoroughly enjoyed her engaging story and dynamic characters. I look forward to the next book she wri...more
Brenda Hicks
I don't know what upsets me more....that this "moral" needs to be discussed in literature or that there are people who thought it was "witty and insightful.". I think I'm too old to be a target audience for this book.
Leigh Juliano
Jun 03, 2010 Leigh Juliano rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a little brain candy.
Normally, I would have given a book like this two stars. It's total chick lit - "this is how the rich and famous live. These are the designer clothes they wear; these are the stylish places they visit; these are the expensive toys they have - - blah blah blah - don't we hate them for all they have and how empty they are . . .blah blah blah" But. It's June 1st and what better way to kick off summer than with a total beach read. This fit the bill perfectly.
Lindsay
This was a really fun read - set in New York City, it follows the lives of "hedge fund wives" who are married to ultra-wealthy financially savvy men. They struggle with fidelity, social hierarchy, children, and finding a place for themselves in the world of their husbands. Some of the women are definitely more worthy of being role models than others...but those others sure make the book extra saucy and hard to put down!
Mary (BookHounds)
This is a perfect summer read. There is nothing too demanding and it is well done for pure Chick Lit fluff. It is nice how the author gives us a different sort of character to like in Marcy. Of course after "settling" for a marriage that is merely a convenience of circumstance, Marcy find true love after she is humiliated by her husband's affair. Hedge Fund Wives is just a nice way to spend an afternoon.
Marisa
Entertaining, in a narcissistic view from overindulgent personified monologue. This book was pretty sexist in implying a woman's value depreciates with age where a man's value appreciate with age.

The last few chapters had some redeeming qualities depicting women in a more competent manor and actually providing for themselves. Hence the three starts, or it would have been a one star rating.
Kristie Helms
A book that was exactly what I needed it to be. Something to carry around on the train. Something to pick up and be able to dive right back into. The mentions of the designer clothing names and fancy restaurants left me a little in the dust. As did trying to figure out what she ever saw in the guy to marry him to begin with. But. You know... I did enjoy the nod to feminism in the end. Totally decent book.
Marilyn
This a quick read, which took me into the world of some of the
wealthiest people in our country. It exposes the excessive
materialism, shallowness, feelings of entitlement, and obsession with wealth and status which permeate this world. Written through the eyes of a Minnesotan woman, it was easy to understand her departure from these values and behaviors.
Deb Krill
A quick fun read, this book gives all the juicy details of the lives of women who marry the rich, funny, sad, and some lovable characters, the plot could have come from the real housewives reality show, which I don't watch for various reasons. I am glad I bought this off the bargain shelf, I enjoyed the book but would not have paid full price for it.
Kimberly
The book was ok, simply because it was very predictable, kinda cheesy and a bit cliche. Also I felt that there were lots of technical details about hedge funds that did not seem necessary to advance the plot, but instead just caused me to skip over them. I felt as if there were to many characters at times, leading to some confusion. Quick read.
Sorta Southern Single Mom
I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. It's worth the read, but it was just too far from my reality for me to connect with the characters. And, since it's all about me anyway, I couldn't help but think how nice it would have been to "start over" after my own divorce with THAT kind of money! :)
Lauren
Predictable chick lit. Fast read with some entertaining passages... And some that are so awkward you want to pull the blanket over your head and hide. Exactly what I expected when I began the book with some smart, witty comments and economic insights and cultural assessments that are dead on.
B
Love. Love. Love.

I loved this book. A perfect easy lake/beach read. Loved the characters. You see things coming but you like when it happens because you can't wait to see how it develops.

Perfect example of how fun chic lit truly is.
Molly
Thought this would make a nice beach read but it's too bad to even be that. The predictable plot and stereotyped characters were hard enough but what made the book truly awful were all the grammar and spelling errors. Did anyone edit this book?
Sonya
A "deeper" chic lit book than most. Explained the lives of those that deal in investing and the massive amounts of money they make and how it affects their lives. Interesting read yet a fun read all at the same time.
Tiffany
I couldn't get through it. I didn't know enough about the elite and the world she was describing (designer brand names, areas of the city, drinkd, and evem careers) so it was hard for me to even read as far as I did.
Rio (Lynne)
Nothing really happened until the middle of the book. I thought OK, we're starting to get interesting here and then nothing. The ending was unbelieveable.The characters had no depth. I never cared.
  • The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund
  • Table Manners
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
  • Rage Against the Meshugenah: Why it Takes Balls to Go Nuts
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • Bringing Home the Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World's Most Coveted Handbag
  • The Last To Know
  • The Motion of the Ocean: 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife
  • Turning Tables
Tatiana Boncompagni is the author of SOCIAL DEATH, a mystery set on the Upper East Side, and two women's fiction novels: GILDING LILY and HEDGE FUND WIVES.

Her writing has appeared in dozens of publications, including the New York Times, Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, InStyle, Marie Claire, Town & Country and Vogue.

Tatiana graduated magna cum laude from the School of Foreign Service...more
More about Tatiana Boncompagni...
Gilding Lily Social Death