A Handful of Seeds

A Handful of Seeds

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
One sad day, Grandmother died. "You cannot stay here," said the man who owned the land. "I have a family ready to move in." Young Concepcion has no choice but to move to the barrio of the nearby city. There she meets children who, in order to survive, must steal the good they eat. But Concepcion has a plan. With back-breaking work she plants a garden amid the rubble, using...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1993)

Emelda
This kid's book introduces a lot of issues (poverty, police brutality, gardening, etc.) subtlety and you can talk about them in depth more as your child grows. A young girl and her grandmother are sharecroppers and when the grandmother dies, the granddaughter runs away to the city and joins a gang of abandoned children in a tent city. She convinces them to grow a garden so they don't have to steal food but the cops come, trample the garden and beat the children. In the end, the children end up r...more
Sam Grace
I liked this book a LOT. It doesn't explain the things it shouldn't (e.g., why her parents aren't around, words like "sharecropping" and "homeless"), and it makes her situation come alive instead of seeming like a lesson.

The illustrations have a style that I have come to associate with Mexican and Central American childrens books, and that makes sense for this book, but I just didn't connect to them.

In retrospect, given how much I want this as part of my library, I am changing my rating.

Heidi
Nojood Alsudairi
It takes a stong well to plant vegetables in the city.
Kara
read it in spanish.
Jepetertil
Jepetertil marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Winona Poole
Winona Poole marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Brynn Bennion
Brynn Bennion marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Erin Miller
Erin Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Nick Molinet
Nick Molinet marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Lorena Muñoz
Lorena Muñoz marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2013
pa'tí m
pa'tí m marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Martiese Miller
Martiese Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2012
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2012
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2011
Amanda
Amanda added it
Aug 10, 2011
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2010
Pablo
Pablo added it
Oct 29, 2010
Monica Hughes was a very popular writer for young people, and has won numerous prizes. Her books have been published in the United States, Poland, Spain, Japan, France, Scandinavia, England, and Germany. She has twice received the Canada Council Prize for Children's Literature, and was runner-up for the Guardian Award.

She is the author of Keeper of the Isis Light, an American Library Association B...more
More about Monica Hughes...
Invitation to the Game The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1) Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1) The Guardian of Isis (Isis, #2) The Isis Pedlar (Isis, #3)