La Paz Interior

La Paz Interior

4.73 of 5 stars 4.73  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Peace of heart is a pure gift of God. We should seek it and ask Him for it.
Published January 1st 2004 by Rialp (first published April 18th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about La Paz Interior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Paz Interior

Mark
It is really interesting to see how God works. I have been a Catholic actively trying to live my faith for more than two decades. This book has helped me more profoundly than any book I've read in the last ten years.

What is a mystery to me is why the message of this book has not sunk into me sooner than it did. It is not as though it is presenting something that is new or alien to the Gospel. But it must have taken all this time for me to get to a point where I could hear and receive it.

The tit...more
Ethan
If this book sticks with me for a while, I'll come back and give it five stars. I took my time with it, as it's only 110 pages. This book presumes a solid foundation of Christian Faith, which is probably why it's so short. Books on achieving inner peace can probably fill whole libraries, and as long as they keep ignoring the truths in this skinny little book (and they will), there will always be more. The proposition is simple, Christ came to give us peace. The catch is that Christ can't do much...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
One thing that I like about this book is its constant reference to the Bible. It reminds us again of the spiritual warfare that is ours and which battles to choose and which battles are placed in our way by the devil to drain our resources and sap our energy and divert us from the main battle that the Lord promises us certain victory in. We have to fight on the real battlefield and by God's grace we are certain of victory.

The first goal of spiritual combat is not to always obtain a victory (over...more
booklady
Sep 15, 2008 booklady rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Mary Alice
Apart from Me, you can do nothing, Jesus said (John 15:5).

The best gifts come in small packages; the same thing can often be said about books. Searching for and Maintaining Peace is a powerhouse of a tiny book which packs incredible wisdom into its slim size and mere 110 pages. And yet I have a feeling that if I were to read this classic once @ month for the rest of my life and attempt to live its principals, I probably would not succeed; even so, I shall try.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard Peac...more
Mary Alice
Jul 30, 2008 Mary Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Homeschoolmama, Booklady, Carole, schoolmeadow
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
For anyone who tends to let worrying get the better of them at times, this book is a helpful tool to combat that little pesty worry demon. :)
Jess
Dec 07, 2007 Jess is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
For such a small book, it really manages to pack in the material! I may be digesting this one for some time to come!
Joe Kolf
If the title makes you think, "No way, that's too good to be true," then read this book. It's that good.
Tara
Just what the doctor ordered. Even though the information in the book isn't new, for some reason it finally stuck.
While I don't think I am miraculously free from strife, this book can help reel me in from being scrupulous. For years I have tortured myself that I wasn't "great". What is my role in this world as a catholic wife/mother/etc. Why am I hidden away washing clothes and sweeping, why am I not more like St. Joan of Arc?
I'm at where I'm at because that's where I need to be.

Trust in God,...more
Jill
For me, the constant noise of this world, noisy clamoring voices, a thousand opinions on everything and everyone, of course, is "right," busy-ness, programs, and then the disappointments we feel about ourselves and others and the sorrows in our own and others' lives, all of which we know about because we're so plugged in to the whole world - it all makes an interior peace nearly impossible to keep. This little book has such a brilliant perspective and though I've just finished it, I'm going to r...more
Hayley Cooper
Beautifully written, good Biblical advice, and no-nonsense logic. I loved it and it was the kick in the pants I may have needed to remember God's good Grace to give us peace in times of hardship.
Jeanette
This book is just excellent. Can't think of any scenario in which anyone would not benefit from reading it. I wish I had years ago!
Jrottinghaus
awesome book. short, practical, gets to the heart of the matter quickly. everyone should read this book.
Nicole
I never write in or mark up books. But this one has more dogears than anything I've ever read.
Sam
This is a great book!!! I love his writting style and his insight into human nature.
Patti
Definitely a great companion to prayer, very simple yet extremely challenging.
Kate
Simple and practical advice on the spiritual life.
Cris
Again, here is one of those books that gives practical common sense spiritual advice: how to listen to God and how to make decisions based on that relationship. What makes it so good is the simple, sureness of the man who writes the book. No squirmy, hard-to-pin-down advice. No nebulous, poetic tissue of nonsense. When several people in your life recommend a book at the same time, you know it comes from on high. At the heart of this book is the axiom that maintaining that inner peace is the basi...more
Kate
Life-changing read. Philippe tackles tough spiritual topics but all in a conversational manner. I often find that spiritual books are either too full of fluff and platitudes or too rich or spiritually esoteric for a mom living with a dearth of sleep, but this book is an exception. It challenged me without frustrating me and gifted me with wisdom that I am to implement every day would lead me to a contented heart and more peaceful life.
Tim Cornell
I have never read a more powerful book. I continue, 8 years later, to reflect and try to live by points made in this book. One quote specifically, "All reasons that cause us to lose our sense of peace are bad reasons," and the discussion behind it, has done more for me than any other thought or discussion I've ever come across.
Sara
A great treatise on peace of soul- I'd recommend it to everyone but especially those who are scrupulous. It's amazing the way the devil tries to deceive us into loosing peace of soul. And the mercy of god elaborated on this book is so refreshing. At times I even reread parts going "can that actually be correct? Sounds like heresy or something!" ;) But I don't think so! And book is sold on Angelus Press- a very conservative/traditional catholic book store. At times I was even reminded of the teac...more
Fr.
I was looking for some other books in my storage bins and happened to run across this old friend, a book which is always worth the short time it takes to read it. In theory, peace of heart is easy to obtain: just trust in the providence of God in all things.

Easy to say, hard to do. So many things tempt us away from that trust, whether it be external circumstances, the pain of others, or misery at our own sins. Fr. Philippe talks about them all and shows us how the core of spiritual combat is the...more
Krista
incredibly rich, and yet so very simple. positively beautiful. yes, you should read it!
Juan Gómez
Un libro que todo católico debe de leer. Sobre todo y especialmente en la juventud. Excelente lectura para seguir alimentando el espiritu y el corazón de herramientas para la paz interior. Por supuesto que la más importante la oracióm incansable. El libro supera lo obvio y logra identificar esas situaciones que nos quitan la paz que contrario a lo que creeriamos son muy comunes entre los hijos de Dios. Super recomendado!
Strangerealms
This is one of the rare catholic books I've kept after I turned to Paganism. I think it is easy with this book to skip the bible quotes, the sins parts, and replace God with Divine, Goddess, Mother Earth, Kwan Yin or whatever you wanna call it. I guess this book could be summarize as "Learn to trust the Divine and let go of things". The book is a quick read and with its small size can be kept in your bag on you.
Dwpage
This was an excellent and short little book that I will definitely read again. I could easily see myself ranking it as five stars after reading it again.
Amazing little gem of a book... Came at the right time for our family, as we're going through a huge trial right now... However, I can see myself reading this over and over again because you can't hear the message often enough!
Thadeus
The title of this book is very apt. If you are searching for peace, this is a nice small book with plenty of wisdom. Short pieces to read, ponder, and contemplate.

Recommended.
Kerry Ann
Amazing book!! Big spiritual challenge in a teeny, tiny book. I will re-read it numerous times and even turn to it daily to refresh my memory and assist me in my spiritual growth.
Jess Mearns
Such a good book...very instructive in the obstacles we face daily that attempt to thwart our attempts to capture the peace Christ left us.. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tinatopak
Going to keep this on the table, for times when I forget that it's ok to fall and fail. I have to remind myself constantly. I'm that forgetful.
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • He Leadeth Me
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Abandonment to Divine Providence
  • Fire within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Saved in Hope: Spe Salvi
  • The Way
  • Life of Christ
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ: From the Visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich
  • Fides Et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason: Encyclical Letter of John Paul II
  • Theology for Beginners
  • The Way of Perfection
  • Prayer
Jacques Philippe was born into a Christian family on March 12, 1947 in Lorraine, France. After studying mathematics in college, he spent several years teaching and doing scientific research. In 1976, he met the then recently-founded Community of the Beatitudes and answered the Lord’s call to follow Him through this vocation (see below for more information on the Community of the Beatitudes). He th...more
More about Jacques Philippe...
Interior Freedom Time for God: A Guide to Mental Prayer In the School of the Holy Spirit The Way of Trust and Love - A Retreat Guided By St. Therese of Lisieux Called to Life

“In order to resist fear and discouragement, it is necessary that through prayer - through a personal experience of God re-encountered, recognized and loved in prayer - we taste and see how good the Lord is (Psalm 34).” 5 likes