La biblia de barro

La biblia de barro

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  919 ratings  ·  106 reviews
En Roma, un hombre se confiesa:
Padre, me acuso de que voy a matar a un hombre...
Published April 4th 2006 by Plaza y Janes (first published January 1st 2005)

Forrest
Whew... I am glad I finally finished this book (an exercise in discipline). The book is ok, but I would not necessarily recommend it to anyone. Maybe I had too high of expectations for this book by reading the reviews - which some touted it to be a Dan Brown / Steve Berry novel. Well, I venomously disagree with that. Maybe the book lost some "zip" in its translation - not taking anything away from the translator, Andrew Hufley. I think it was just me. Besides, I am not entertained by accounts fr...more
i had to slog through this. it had a lot of potential, but never could get going until the last 50 pages or so when I began to hope for a redeeming ending, but alas the ending was disappointing too. i was also distracted by the bad translation, especially of the dialogue - no one actually talks like that!
BoekenTrol
Mar 18, 2012 BoekenTrol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Icila
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: ababaigalit
In the beginning of this book I had a hard time telling apart the characters and, consequently, seperating the story lines.
When the story continued however and the characters appeared more AND more of their back ground was revealed, the story grabbed me and did not let go.

It was a good story, in which war, archeology, greed, hatred, revenge unconditional love, betrayal and trust all had their roles.

At first I could not imagine why a bunch of very old people would hire a hitman to kill another v...more
Robert
Yes it was O.K. and that was about it. Written in three different time periods with a multitude of characters this is a solid 497 pages of grind. A decent enough story that just takes a while going anywhere. And some of the evil vile crap spilled out on these pages, well damn, even I have to say this was a tough cookie to chew on. So if you have a lot of time on your hands, a strong stomach for characters that are real assholes and nothing better to do, I say this may be the book for you. Otherw...more
Noelia
No sé por qué insisto en seguir leyendo libros de esta señora, es increíble el poder que ejerce sobre mí la palabra "bestseller", una portada bonita o una edición cuidada.

Al igual que "La hermandad de la sábana santa", no he podido acabarlo, me ha aburrido muchísimo, ni me interesaba el nazi, ni su nieta, ni por qué les perseguían, ni dónde están las tablillas ni la guerra en Irak. Lo he dejado en la pagina 150 por puro aburrimiento.
Alistair Forrest
Found this in Malta's biggest bookshop a few weeks ago and had to buy it. Extremely disappointing - seemingly very poor research into Iraqi terrain and culture, confusing characters, weak development of main characters. Maybe this was lost in translation, so blame Random House? Jumping on the Dan Brown bandwagon and falling off big time. Shame. Another example of how we can trust the big publishing houses less and less.
Kim
The idea for this novel was a good one, but it was waaaaaay too long and had waaaaay too many characters who didn't add anything to the plot. What looked to be a promising good turned out to be just another Dan Brown wannabe. Please authors, don't keep trying to mimic something that isn't that great to begin with!
Gary Stocker
Disappointing. The story set in recent times suffered a lot of over padding. Whereas the story set in Abraham's time could have done with a lot more exposure. The ending just fizzled out very inconclusively. Only very average. Not a patch on her previous novel, which I can thoroughly recommend.
Ken
Though I have put down as read, I did abandon this book. The best description I can give is that it was like a Fenland road. One could tell exactly where it was going and that was nowhere.
Jen
I borrowed this book from a friend, and it was blah. The story seemed to run-on at times and for whatever reason, this book just didn't do it for me.
Jim
At first glance, this book would seem to be right in my wheelhouse when it comes to religious thrillers. Sadly, the pacing was bad and the book suffers from the lack of a good editor. I don't blame the translator for this, either, as the flaws clearly originate with the source material. In addition, the story revolves around two groups of four individuals, all eight of whom are aged and well-off in the present day, which makes it easy to lose track of who is playing on which team. And if there's...more
Jane
Sep 10, 2008 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Susi
Padre, me acuso de que voy a matar a un hombre...
Al mismo tiempo, también en Roma, cuando Clara Tannenberg anuncia en el transcurso del Congreso de Arqueólogos y Antropólogos el descubrimiento de unas tablillas pertenecientes a la Biblia de Barro no es consciente de los mecanismos que está poniendo en marcha y que pueden suponer un enorme peligro incluso para su vida. La Biblia de barro en la que Abraham narra el Génesis y que fue recogido por un joven escriba de nombre llamado Shamas, constituy...more
Makuka
Quem me conhece (nem que seja virtualmente), sabe que A Bíblia de Barro era aquele livro que, não tendo, queria ter. Recebi-o no Natal como recompensa de ter sido uma boa menina... ou melga, não sei. Confesso, desde já, que, apesar de ter gostado e o recomende, não escolhi a melhor altura para o ler. Sinto que não soube apreciar a leitura ao máximo e, sobretudo, que houve aspectos que me passaram ao lado.

A acção da obra centra-se na descoberta de umas pequenas tabuinhas com o relato da Criação [...more
Avigail
The basic concept behind this novel is pretty interesting. Bible of Clay is a great book for those enthusiasts of biblical archaelogy. I have trouble laying the book down! From page 1, you are hooked wondering why a certain individual must be killed. To me, it is an easy and intriguing read. The lines flow with an ever growing story line. Once in a great while I find a great book that hooks me, and this is it!
Revenge can be a very messy thing, and Navarro holds nothing back in showing what the...more
Christa
After being attracted to the premise of this book, I felt that it fell short of its potential. The story was interesting, but I had a hard time feeling empathetic toward the characters. None of the main characters seemed very likeable to me. This sounded like a great story, but it fell flat.

This book has numerous characters and jumps around between time periods. The majority of the book takes place in modern time, with parts in late Nazi Germany and parts in the time of biblical Abraham. The par...more
Judy
This book was a little slow to get into, but once you start you just need to find out what happens. Father Gian Marie, of the Vatican, hears a confession that a woman, Clara Tannenberg, is to be killed. How he travels to find Clara and protect her without her knowing why. She is an archaeologist looking, on behalf of her Uncle Alfred, the tablets that Abraham had recorded about Creation.
Four friends, Mercedes, Bruno, Carlo and Hans, who as children were confined to a POW camp in Germany during...more
Amaris
Although I agree with everyone else that has reviewed this book, it was long and the characters were confusing, I really enjoyed the book, because I have actually been to this ziggurat. So it was quite interesting to read a story about archeologist digging it up and finding the treasures :)
Marijke
Beetje te hoge verwachting na het eerste boek zeg me wie ik ben van julia navarro die ik pas had gelezen....... viel dit boek een beetje tegen...jammer....eerste helft van het boek kon me niet boeien daarna werd het wat spannender maar het einde was ook een tegenvaller..
Jycel
Es un libro demasiado largo (más de 750 páginas) para la historia que cuenta. No es una trama compleja como para gastar tantas páginas en desarrollarla.

Las partes que más interés me han despertado han sido las de Abrahám y Shamas. No ha ayudado que odiara profundamente a dos de los protagonistas. Tampoco he empatizado con los otros personajes con los que se supone que debía empatizar. Y digo esto, porque claramente su historia y la forma en la que están escritos, debería haberme conmovido más d...more
Lacey
Giving it 2 stars because I'm sure it's good once the story actually starts. 300 pages - halfway through - and the plot is still in set-up mode, bringing all the characters together to get the action going. I'm sorry, but I just do not have the patience for that. I got bored. There are too many characters to keep track of . . . specifically, too many separate groups of characters, so the place keeps changing to follow this person, then that person . . . and for at least 300 pages nothing happens...more
Nancy
Revenge and the search for buried treasure on the eve ofthe war in Iraq. The discovery of the creation story writtien in curniform on clay tablets as told by the patriarch Abraham. Te beginnig of the story is discovered by a Germen youth on a dig in Heron. His single minded is being carried on by his grand daughter who refuses to give up regardless of how much danger she might be in. The German youth goes on to become the worst of Nazi death camp czars. A group fo young inmates swear revenge and...more
João Baptista
Um livro que nos relata uma história sensacional e que apesar de ser um romance, mais parece uma história real, pois tem história, intrigas, arqueologia, enfim, mais um romance duma simplicidade de palavras, mas que ao mesmo tempo nos consegue envolver numa teia enorme de personagens, temporalmente deslocadas, mas sempre muito bem interligadas que nos levam a viajar na história e no mundo sem nós nos apercebermos, com uma facilidade enorme, mas sempre a aprender, pois afinal a escritora também n...more
Patrick Sheridan
so far so good....hoping the ending will be exciting enough to save the somewhat slow middle...OK, I'm done now. This book was touted as the book that knocked the DaVinci code off of the number one spot in Spain. Hmmmm. I do think that the plot was more original, but the writing lacked something. Character development was weak. But then, this book was translated from Spanish to English, so i wonder if the author's talent was diluted in the process. Over all, good beach or airplane read, but don'...more
May Wong
Well written, but would have been tightened up. It was a bit dragged out...
La StreGa
The problem with this book was that I could not empathise with any of its characters. There was a group of people that I could feel a bit closer to, but in the end, even if they got what they had been seeking for in the whole book, it still felt.."hollow".

The whole book was disappointing, it gave me nothing but the uneasy feeling you get when you start reading a book and you are halfway to its end and you are still looking for a meaning or hoping for some kind of a katharsis, which you never ge...more
Kari
This book sat on my shelf for about 18 months before I finally read it.
It has all promises of being an epic book - historical fiction, archaeology, WW2, holocaust, biblical times, romance, mystery, etc...
The book dragged on and the characters were not well developed. I never identified with any of the characters.
I did like how book went back and forth from present day to WW2 to the times of Abraham. When I finished the book I was glad I had finished it but it it was a very slow read.
Sandra
I really enjoyed this book. It takes a bit to understand the story as you learn the history of the characters in bits and pieces. There are two historical periods that are joined together in the present. I found myself wanting to know more about the most ancient of the stories but like much of archaeology the story has to be pieced together. This is the second book by Ms. Navarro that I have read and I am looking forward to her next publication.
Lynne
I love audiobooks, but the narrator of this one was really flat. It probably didn't help that I didn't like the actual plot. I tuned out every time we went back to Abraham's time. At times I thought that I was listening to bad Christian fiction--not my cup of tea. I am hesitant to put it on my mystery-suspense shelf because there was no suspense.

Two stars because I didn't find it offensive and I can see why people might enjoy the actual book.
Marin
Jan 30, 2010 Marin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marin by: starkmar@gmail.com
The idea of this book was interesting...an archeological dig to uncover clay tablets recording the story of Genesis as told by Abraham to a scribe, in Iraq on the eve of the Gulf War. The story was alright. There was some subplots that I didn't enjoy and didn't think fit in well with the rest of the story, but it kept my attention enough to want to see how it ended. Good premise, not my favorite read. Check it out yourself and decide...
Jamie
Four childhood friends vow revenge for their shared pain from a SS guard named Alfred Tannenberg. Another four friends, all SS, plot to enrich and protect themselves after the war. The granddaughter of Alfred who lives in Baghdad and Cairo organizes an archaeological dig to unearth the Bible of Clay. Spies are put in place to steal the discovery before it is even found, while an assassin lurks for an opportunity to kill Tannenberg.
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Gaudi Key
  • El origen perdido
  • The Sacred Blood
  • The Thirteenth Apostle
  • Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)
  • Misión Olvido
  • The Lost Temple
  • Cinco horas con Mario
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • The Medici Secret
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Last Ember
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Mask of Atreus
Julia Navarro (Madrid, 1953) lleva más de treinta años dedicada al periodismo trabajando en los principales medios de comunicación de este país, tanto en prensa escrita como en radio y televisión.

Después de publicar varios libros de actualidad política como Nosotros, la transición; Entre Felipe y Aznar; La izquierda que viene, y Señora presidenta, se atrevió con la novela y consiguió un éxito sin...more
More about Julia Navarro...
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud Dime quién soy La sangre de los inocentes Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto Le secret d'argile (City Poche) (French Edition)