Start by marking “Building the Devil's Empire: French Colonial New Orleans” as Want to Read:
Building the Devil's Empire: French Colonial New Orleans

Building the Devil's Empire: French Colonial New Orleans

Building the Devil’s Empire is the first comprehensive history of New Orleans’s early years, tracing the town’s development from its origins in 1718 to its revolt against Spanish rule in 1768. Shannon Lee Dawdy’s picaresque account of New Orleans’s wild youth features a cast of strong-willed captives, thin-skinned nobles, sharp-tongued women, and carousing travelers. But s ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by University Of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Building the Devil's Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building the Devil's Empire

Lucy
Nov 20, 2009 Lucy rated it really liked it
The only time I saw the title word devil appear in Ms. Dawdy’s book was in a quote from a nun, complaining about women’s heavy make-up. Ms. Dawdy researched in France and uses a lot of French expressions. Also, she translates obscenities for the non-speaker. She uses the word forçat all the time. These were forced exiles, often smugglers, and a fleur de lis was branded on them. of the founders’ generation were criminals.
Ms. Dawdy says New Orleans was an “intellectual experiment” in urban plann
Alexandra
Feb 06, 2014 Alexandra rated it liked it
The content of book was excellent and I would recommend it for any person wanting to learn about the history of New Orleans. I do not have any historical reference to compare it to but as an introductory text, the book was interesting. My fault with the book and the main reason for my reviewing it at three stars is that it was poorly written. The author constantly repeats herself- almost repeating paragraphs and points ad nauseum and lacks consistency in her writing. I had a difficult time getti ...more
Michelle
Jul 12, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
I read this for an upcoming project and it didn't end up being exactly what I needed. I did learn that the French Colonial period in NOLA was much shorter than I had thought it was. It is a good book for folks largely unfamiliar with NOLA history, but it was generally information I had already gathered from other sources. It is annotated well so that the reader can easily locate the cited sources. Unfortunately, this book does not complete the research I need to do.
Jason S
Feb 01, 2016 Jason S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very ambitious book that hits the mark in proving quite a detailed thesis. Arguing that French New Orleans in the early and mid 18th century was a cite for the testing of Enlightenment and for the limits of mercantile and imperial control, this book is very information for those interested in French history, imperial history, and American history. Many references to James Scott.
Bradley
Aug 09, 2010 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: hi-541
The Introduction was rhapsodic, promising a lusty world of colonialism in the bayou. Her notion of rogue colonialism is intriguing. At worst, the two words form a redundancy; at best the idea helpfully underscores the contingency that drives events in transoceanic colonial ventures.
Julia
Sep 15, 2011 Julia rated it it was ok
Extremely interesting, but poorly written. Repeats information multiple times, and does not provide crucial information until 3/4 of the way through the book.
Jillian
This was actually very interesting but it was due back the library and my trip to NOLA is over! I'll pick it back up next time I go there.
Mary
Jun 15, 2009 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Punt
Aaron
Aug 04, 2014 Aaron rated it really liked it
Pretty dry but a great history of the colonial founding
Elizabeth Segroves
Elizabeth Segroves rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Christien
Christien rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2010
Dirk Pratt
Dirk Pratt rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
blue-collar mind
blue-collar mind rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Catherine Warner
Catherine Warner rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Megsie Siple
Megsie Siple rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Lorraine Herbon
Lorraine Herbon rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Callie
Callie rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Parker Gibbs
Parker Gibbs rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
Lorijohn
Lorijohn rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Alex Maley
Alex Maley rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Redsteve
Redsteve rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Sim Is
Sim Is rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Glenn Botto
Glenn Botto rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Joshua Walker
Joshua Walker rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Mike Mann
Mike Mann rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Bill Norris
Bill Norris rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Royce
Royce rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Elyne
Elyne rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012