Start by marking “Křest ohněm (Zaklínač, #5)” as Want to Read:
Křest ohněm (Zaklínač, #5)

Křest ohněm (Saga o Wiedźminie #5)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  17,550 Ratings  ·  449 Reviews
Třetí část ságy o Zaklínači.

Setkáváme se opět Geraltem, který si léčí zranění utrpěna na Thaneddu v tajemném lese Brokilonu u dryád. Do příběhu vstupují nové důležité postavy, o kterých byla v dřívějších knihách jen malá či žádná zmínka. Na prvním místě je to lučištnice Milwa. Dále pak rytíř Cahir a nakonec ještě postava nejtajemnější, upír Regis…
Paperback, Vydání druhé, 342 pages
Published 1999 by Leonardo (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Křest ohněm, please sign up.

Donald Hutchison at first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a…moreat first i didn't like the introduction of the storyteller at the start of the last chapter, it suddenly felt lame to introduce the whole series as a tale that's being told to children (and the events of the story being something thats already occured), but after thinking about it for a while it's totally the author talking about this exact thing - the abrupt ending of the book.

the kids (readers) complain that the story hasn't ended and they don't want to wait 6 months / a year for the storyteller to return to their village (wait for sapkowski to write a new book). so he's kind of playing with the audience and through the old storyteller is clearly pointing out that it's not an ending - just that if he tells the whole story now he's not going to sell any more books in the series and people will get bored by such a long book.

it's kind of cheeky of the author, but when you look at it that way it's quite fun and unusual(less)

Evgeny
Oct 20, 2016 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In the previous book Geralt's POV ended with him getting beaten the crap out of, in a really bad way. In the beginning of this book he did not recovered, but he really had no time for full recovery as he needed to finish what he was trying to do before he was stopped. He left the sanctuary he was staying in and went straight toward the war front - all the nearby kingdoms were entertaining themselves in all-out war. Geralt still had an illusion that he would be able to stay neutral. To make a lon ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/23/a...

Over the last two months, I’ve been working my way through all the available Witcher Saga novels in audiobook format. The series is surprisingly addictive, so much so that it feels like I was just listening to the first book Blood of Elves yesterday. And now that I’ve come to the end of book three, I find myself a bit lost and drifting. After all, the print version of the next book (The Swallow’s Tower) hasn’t even been
Jo Woolfardis
This review can be found on Amaranthine Reads.

We come to book three of the Witcher series, or book five if you're counting the first two collections of short stories. Whichever way you want to look at it, Baptism of Fire is the same dull book as it would be in any order.

The series continues with Geralt the Witcher searching the land for the Child Surprise, Ciri. The war rages on around them and it seems every faction is on the look out for Ciri, too. But Geralt is injured and the sorcerers are i
Jennifer Melzer
Mar 16, 2014 Jennifer Melzer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The symbolic Baptism of Fire is repeated throughout the story, as beliefs are challenged, paths reforged and it becomes certain that through the fire one must trek if he wishes to be born anew, like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

There were so many delightful parts of this story, clever and witty moments that made me laugh out loud, as well as emotionally gripping instances that touched my heart in ways that will surely linger long after the entire story is finished.

Now I move swiftly into Th
Marta Conejo
Terminar un libro de Geralt de Rivia para coger otro libro de Geralt de Rivia. Esa es mi actual vida.

Andamos con nuestro querido brujo y su querido juglar, con una Ciri cuya vida ha cambiado totalmente, con un consejo secreto de hechiceras... los caminos están llenos de cuerpos, sangre, guerra, cosas feas, y, si fuera George Martin, supongo que también dragones.

Pero es Andrzej Sapkowski.

Es verdad que esta saga se ha ido focalizando mucho más a la parte de la historia Ciri-Geralt, pero eso no
Anirudh
Oct 14, 2015 Anirudh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It is a sad experience when your favourite book lets you down. The Witcher, spawner of books and 3 hugely popular games fails to create the charm it held in the previous books of the series.

Plot The biggest let down of the book, the plot of Baptism of Fire is simply non existent. The story is about Geralt setting out to find Ciri but the story gets lost midway. In the whole book, nothing really happens. The witcher mopes, grunts and travels and yet reaches nowhere. There is no ending or a twist
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Ah, Geralt of Rivia. I can’t quite put my finger on why I enjoy this series, or rather the world they are set in so much. It is a very classic fantasy where the exploring of new places (read: questing) is a big part. But it is also a very modern fantasy with gritty undertones and imperfect protagonists. Or more accurately, the dry British humor in which the story is told - never making a joke of the world, but let the re
Kat  Hooper
Oct 22, 2016 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Will review soon at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Piotr
Sep 26, 2010 Piotr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Zazwyczaj środkowe tomy większości serii fantasy są ich najsłabszym ogniwem - oczywiście są niesamowite wyjątki, jednak - są to wyjątki. W środkowe tomy są zazwyczaj zapchajdziurami, rozwlekającymi niepotrzebne wątki (Koło Cczasu, ekhm) i eksploatującymi bohaterów do znienawidzenia ich przez czytelnika... u Sapkowskiego nic takiego nie ma. Książka jest świetnie skonstruowana pod względem stylistycznym i fabularnym. Mimo iż akcja skupia się w jakichś 80% na wiedźminie i jego drużynie (sic!) to co ...more
Fantasy Literature
Baptism of Fire is the fifth book in Andrzej Sapkowski’s WITCHER series. It starts up immediately after the events in The Time of Contempt, which you must read before picking up Baptism of Fire. This review will contain spoilers for previous books.

Previously, in The Time of Contempt, Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri got caught up in a coup on the island of Thanedd. The Chapter of Mages was destroyed as the sorcerers and sorceresses were either killed or otherwise dispersed. Geralt was defeated and ...
Mizuki
Sep 14, 2015 Mizuki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is a good transition book and the new characters are interesting, the plots about the wizards' coup and the other political schemes are getting clearer as well, can't wait to see how the main characters' journey will turn out!
Kyle Muntz
Dec 31, 2014 Kyle Muntz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still the most interesting epic fantasy series I've seen in years, and probably the best. This one is the most focused so far, and also maybe the most organic. Plus David French's translation reads incredibly well. The only problem is I still haven't been able to find any plans for releasing the next book, and it would be terrible if Orbit were to leave the series hanging here. From what I've read, Sapkowski is the most important fantasy writer in Poland, but twenty years later we still have a l ...more
Joseph
Jun 26, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit of an odd duck, this one. On the one hand, I genuinely enjoyed reading it -- Geralt is an appealing character, and I like the world; it's suitably grubby and Eastern European in feel. On the other hand, this particular book really only works in context of the larger series -- it doesn't feel like a standalone; it feels like a couple hundred pages chopped from the middle of a larger work.

So: Read it if you're already following the series; if not, best go back and start at the beginning.
fenrir
Aug 08, 2015 fenrir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
мεgяεร.
Aug 18, 2015 мεgяεร. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sebastien
Feb 07, 2015 Sebastien rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, videogames
That was... rather bad actually.

It was meandering and pointless, none of the characters really managed to do, well, anything. Geralt walked around a bit along the river but is still pretty damn far from getting where he wants to go. Ciri is still pretty much at the same place (both geographically and mentally) as she was last novel and the sorceress spent the whole novel building a misandrist cult that still hasn't really done anything.

Geralt was actually extremely obnoxious in this novel. He sp
Jordi Balcells
Oct 03, 2016 Jordi Balcells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vale, ahora sí que arranca la gran historia que nos quiere contar Sapkowski; ahora ya empezamos a vislumbrar por dónde van los tiros. Los primeros dos libros fueron un prólogo, los siguientes dos fueron la introducción y ahora ya estamos en el nudo de esta épica. Va, decidme que sí, que 3/4 partes de este libro han sido una peregrinación de la Comunidad del anillo y me he aburrido. Luego ya han echado mano de los árboles genealógicos y se ha animado el cotarro.

Los dos primeros libros eran sencil
Alain
May 19, 2016 Alain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Increíble. Tras leer el segundo de la saga, pensaba que Sapkowski no podría sorprenderme otra vez, pero desde luego me equivoqué. Si en los dos libros anteriores veíamos como Geralt perdía protagonismo a favor de Ciri, este libro se centra casi exclusivamente en las andanzas de Geralt, Jaskier y unos cuantos nuevos personajes, siendo marginales las intervenciones de Yennefer y Ciri.

Lo que más me gustó de los dos primeros libros fue la presentación de los personajes por parte de Sapkowski. En esp
Sonia
Oct 20, 2016 Sonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
En este libro Andrzej Sapkowski debió darse cuenta de que esta saga se podía alargar y así continuar sacando beneficio y es lo que decidió hacer porque nos encontramos aquí con el típico "libro de en medio" donde pasar, lo que se dice pasar, no pasa nada, no se resuelve ningún asunto y se deja a los héroes en medio de un viaje hacia algo que quizás encuentren en la próxima entrega o en la siguiente.
No se puede decir sin embargo que el libro resulte aburrido. Es dinámico e incluye un buen número
Kristen
Nov 24, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit more serious than the previous books, this one still has its amusing moments. Sapkowski excels in character interactions, and it's one of the things I love about the series. Though there isn't as much Ciri, Yennefer, or Triss in this book as before, it's still good, and I'm itching to start the next book (with excitement and anxiety)!
Stephen Richter
Mar 15, 2017 Stephen Richter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Road trip!!! I love nothing better than a good old Quest Story. After making a short appearance in The Time of Contempt, the Witcher sets off to find Ciri who he lost in Blood of Elves, book one in the Ciri Saga. Along the way, the Witcher picks up some colorful characters. Super fun.
Cian
Jan 31, 2017 Cian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional as a fantasy tale - but as a Witcher book I'm going to have to give it just 3 out of 5. Still loved it but I felt the story lacked any real structure or flow. It had me yearning more for the first two books which were short story anthologies because although they told shorter disjointed tales you somehow saw more of the world. I think the book would be better had it returned to this format or bulked the wordcount up enough to probably devote time to other characters as the story does ...more
Niina
May 03, 2015 Niina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Baptism of Fire is the third novel (fifth book overall) in The Witcher series. It follows Geralt and Ciri as they travel across war-ridden lands in search of each other.

Geralt of Rivia, the witcher, is trying to recover from wounds of his last battle but he has no time for rest. Ciri, the Child of Destiny and heir to the throne of Cintra is still missing, and Geralt needs to find her. But there are others looking for her too, and the result could be catastrophic if she falls to the wrong hands.

W
Cărăşălu
More of the same. There's a lot of action happening, but I still get the feeling that the big story advances too slow. And characters are very inconsistent. Geralt the Witcher is sometimes a hardened veteran monster slayer, sometimes a passionate hero, sometimes he's like a moody teenager. He has no real personality. Sapkowski really isn't good at building characters. The less he tries to do it, the better the characters are. Anyway - elves, vampires, knights, magic, blood, yay!
Hanka
Jun 03, 2013 Hanka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hrám sa na prísnu a dávam len 4/5, hoci by som pokojne mohla dať aj 5. nejde o to, že by mi na tejto časti niečo vadilo, za čo by si zaslúžila jednu hviezdu dolu, skôr o to, že sa dej príliš ďaleko nepohol, bola to viac-menej medzičasť (a trošičku mi chýbalo viac Ciri). napriek tomu som sa ani na moment nenudila a knihu som prečítala prakticky na dva záťahy. ako vždy som aj pobavila, aj som našla pekné myšlienky, aj ma pichlo pri srdci. už teraz sa teším na posledné dva diely (a vymyslela som di ...more
Olethros
-El estilo sigue siendo propio pero la trama ya no.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. En Brokilón, la driada Milva recuerda durante una cacería cuando conoció al brujo Geralt, herido, y se le ordenó tratarle bien en contra de su voluntad e incluso colaborar con él. El imperio de Nilfgaard continua su política expansiva y sus agentes colaboradores están muy activos, infiltrados en muchos lugares importantes para sus rivales. Quinto libro de la saga de Geralt De Rivia.

¿Quiere saber m
Jeshu
Aug 16, 2012 Jeshu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de los mejores libros en la saga, definitivamente. De partida porque Geralt vuelve a ser el protagonista de la serie que lleva su nombre.
Muchas cosas inesperadas ocurren para seguir la historia, y la verdad es que me tomaron por sorpresa. Hace mucho que no me tocaba un libro que fuera tan poco predecible, por eso amo a Sapkowski. Sabe como hacer la trama interesante.

La escena de la batalla del Yaruga es espectacular: tiene su dosis de acción y, entremedio, de humor. Infaltable. Y ahora Ger
Steffi
Nov 17, 2016 Steffi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Sadly, I did not like the third installment of the Hexer books as good as the previous ones.

I feel like the story made no progress at all. The witches are planning something, Ciri is a wild girl without a soul and Geralt is looking for her. That's it.

Another problem I had is that I'm starting to get confused with all these characters and legends and tales whatever. They are re-telling a tale and I already read a story about this legend in the previous book, but well, after so many characters I
Mark Halse
Feb 20, 2016 Mark Halse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a vast improvement on the last installment. Two thirds of the book follows Geralt. We get a classic story of the Witcher on the road with Dandelion at his side and dwarves and gnomes abound. We even get a cool vampire sidekick!

My one issue is that though a lot happens in this book the story doesn't progress much. It takes the whole book for our main characters to figure out what we as the reader knew half way through the last book: Ciri is not is Nilfgaard.

Beside this tiny flaw this wa
❅ Eze ❅
Apr 07, 2015 ❅ Eze ❅ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impresionante, majestuoso, el mejor volumen de la saga hasta ahora.
No crei que ninguno me iba a gustar mas que "El Ultimo Deseo", pero este no deja de sorprender en cada capitulo, lleno de intrigas y conspiraciones, guerras y batallas, vueltas de tuerca que te dejan boquiabierto.
Y el final ufff, sublime, un final epico que te hace sentir que aprovechaste al maximo el tiempo que pasaste leyendolo y ademas te deja con ganas de continuar con el siguiente.

Es una saga de 5 estrellas propiamente dicho
english version? 2 16 Feb 26, 2015 12:58PM
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 2
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin, #1)
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Achaja. Tom II (Achaja, #2)
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Limes inferior
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #2)
  • Tkacz iluzji (Kroniki Drugiego Kręgu, #1)
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski...

Saga o Wiedźminie (7 books)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)

“- Kompania mi się trafiła - podjął Geralt, kręcąc głową. - Towarzysze broni! Drużyna bohaterów! Nic, tylko ręce załamać. Wierszokleta z lutnią. Dzikie i pyskate pół driady, pół baby. Wampir, któremu idzie na pięćdziesiąty krzyżyk. I cholerny Nilfgaardczyk, który upiera się, że nie jest Nilfgaardczykiem.
- A na czele drużyny wiedźmin, chory na wyrzuty sumienia, bezsiłę i niemożność podjęcia decyzji - dokończył spokojnie Regis. - Zaiste, proponuję podróżować incognito, by nie wzbudzać sensacji.
- I śmiechu - dodała Milva.”
27 likes
“Were I to attempt to be good to everyone, to the entire world and to all the creatures living in it, it would be a drop of fresh water in the salt sea. In other words, a wasted effort. Thus, I decided to do specific good; good which would not go to waste. I’m good to myself and my immediate circle.” 19 likes