Start by marking “The Welcoming” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  2,286 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Visitors come to Charity's friendly little inn to escape their ordinary lives. But FBI Agent Roman DeWinter knows something ugly is going on beneath the cozy surface. His mission is to expose the dangerous criminal gang operating out of the inn. Going undercover, Roman begins his investigation - which puts Charity's life on the line. A hit-and-run attack leaves her shaken ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 317 pages
Published June 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Welcoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Welcoming

Bryn
May 20, 2015 Bryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best but enjoyable. I love a bit of chick lit, romance and adventure
Halima
No, no, no, no.

This novel conveniently summed up into a somewhat short but direct dialogue:

'Hello, my name is...er... a name so boring my readers forget'

'Oh Hello, my name is somewhat similar' Side note: Better romance than Romeo and Juliet like.

'So...see the thing is, you're quite attractive Baby' Side note: Don't call me Baby if I've just met you. Period. Grrr.

'Why, thank you, if you're in possession of a large specifically male anatomical feature I will befriend you and invite you to my bed'

'
Megan
SOA Listening Challenge 2012, Track 4: Contemporary 1/4

This is a fun but forgettable listen: while you run, do dishes, drive, basically, while doing something else.

PLOT:
FBI Agent Roman DeWinter goes undercover at a bed-and-breakfast inn on Orcas island to uncover a counterfeiting and smuggling ring. Suspicion is on the Inn's attractive upbeat owner, Charity Ford, who is heavily involved in all aspects of running the Inn.

It becomes quickly clear to Roman that Charity is not a suspect. He finds s
Mirjam
Sep 04, 2011 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I'm a big Nora Roberts fan and haven't read a book by her I didn't like, and The Welcoming is no exception. It's one of her early works, which does show, but it's still an enjoyable read. Roman and Charity are easy to fall for. The undercover FBI-agent and the charming owner of an idyllic inn fall head over heels in love, but there is danger to avert. A lovely romance is the perfect read on a Sunday morning!
Sue
3.25 just okay, I'd skip it... not really her best work.
Dee
True love overcomes.
Geisy Genao
Nov 15, 2016 Geisy Genao rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
(¿Por qué goodreads no tiene una puntuación más baja? 1 estrella es muchísimo para este libro).

¡Qué libro más maloooooooooo! Desperdicié mi tiempo y dinero en esta porqueria. Pero es un riesgo que se corre al leer. Y no lo abandoné ya que me prometí a mí misma terminar todos los libros que empiezo a leer aunque sean malos, para así dar mi opinión y tener conocimiento de lo que me gusta y lo que no.

Una historia sosa y predecible que en ningún momento te engancha y lo que conlleva a que leer el li
Maria
Oct 26, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it
Unlike most of Ms. Roberts books, I felt this one was more about the hero than the heroine. Roman is restless and thinking about quitting his job. He has never felt welcome anywhere except for one short period of his life. Then he meets Charity on Orcas Island while investigating her and her inn to see where they fit in the crime he is looking into. She makes him feel welcome in a way he has never experienced before. Watching him unfold like a flower, admittedly more like a thistle than a rose, ...more
Tazzie Dee
Visitors come to Charity’s friendly little inn to escape from their ordinary lives. But unbeknown to Charity, there is a criminal gang operating from within her inn. Roman DeWinter is assigned to go undercover and bring them down. So he poses as a handyman. But the last thing he expected was to fall in love with Charity….

It was an okish read. Given the storyline I thought it was going to be quite suspenseful but it wasn’t. It’s more of a romantic read instead.
Vanessa
Nov 05, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro foi-me oferecido em Dezembro do ano passado e, como estava parado na estante desde essa altura, acabei por pegar nele durante este mês para que finalmente pudesse ser lido.

Este é um livro repleto de paixão, mistério, desejo, intriga, suspense, tensão, acção e amor desde o primeiro instante, com um enredo ritmado e cativante e com personagens reais, fortes e interessantes. Tal como é habitual, a escrita da autora apresenta-se leve e descontraída e propicia uma leitura descomplicada e m
Kristiana S
Jul 15, 2013 Kristiana S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-a-long, re-read
Roman DeWinter seorang agen yang bertugas untuk memnyelidiki kasus pencucian dan pemalsuan uang yang dicurigai beroperasi di sebuah penginapan milik Charity Ford. Untuk melaksanakan tugasnya tersebut, Roman menyamar sebagai tukang kayu di penginapan Charity, yang dicurigai sebagai salah satu anggota organisasi kejahatan yang sedang diselidiki.
Dalam 24 jam perkenalannya dengan Charity Ford, Roman merasa yakin bahwa Charity tak bersalah. Charity bukanlah pelaku melainkan korban yang tak mengetahu
Audel
Aug 13, 2016 Audel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roman s’installe là où le mènent ses enquêtes et cette vie d’errance lui convient parfaitement. Cette fois, il s’agit d’une petite île près de Seattle, réputée pour les baleines qu’on y apercevoir. Il est là pour enquêter sur un trafic de devises canadiennes dont le principal suspect est la propriétaire d’une auberge sur cette île et va se faire engager comme bricoleur. Or, dès leur rencontre, une attirance indéniable se forme entre les deux protagonistes. La romance est donc amenée dès les ...more
Maura
Fanny Roswita Ria
Feb 11, 2013 Fanny Roswita Ria rated it liked it
Setelah re-read ini novel,sptnya review juga hrs diperbaharui.Hehehehe

Ini cerita mengenai Hero dan Heroine yg bertemu krn kasus yg dikerjakan sang Hero. Roman De Winter, FBI, yg ditugaskan utk menyelidiki Charity, pemilik penginapa kecil di daerah Orcas, krn diduga ikut andil dlm melakukan kegiatan pencucian uang palsu. Kedatangan Roman&tipu muslihatnya membawa dirinya mendapatkan kerja di penginapan Charity sbg tukang kayu. Yang tdk diantisipasi adl Chemistry antara mrk berdua.

Charity, soso
Jen
Sep 05, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: nora-roberts
Charity runs an inn on Orcas Island. Involved in every aspect of the business, she's made it her home and loves the building and all the people in it. When Roman DeWinter comes to town looking for a job, she knows he's carrying secrets, but she sees in him a longing for a home. Falling in love with Roman is easy, earning his trust proves more difficult. Roman isn't just a handyman, he's on the island on assignment. As an FBI investigator, Roman has come to unravel a smuggling ring running out of ...more
Noemia
Jul 25, 2012 Noemia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cruth
Author: Nora Roberts
First published: 1989
Length: 246 pages
Setting: Contemporary, Orcas.
Sex: That 80s hand wave that pretends to be explicit but pulls the curtain at the final moment. Fairly frequent.
Hero: Mysterious. (view spoiler)
Heroine: Owner of B&B.

The type of book you are supposed to go into blind. Is he BadGuy or Good? Assassin or investigator?

I wasn’t enamoured of an ending where he has to crawl because she is stupid and untrusting. For someone so
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Kehidupan tidak selalu mudah bagi Charity, tetapi dia adalah orang yang selalu berpikiran positif terhadap segala sesuatu, termasuk kepada Roman saat Roman membantu dia menggantikan ban dan menyatakan membutuhkan pekerjaan. Seketika, Roman mendapat pekerjaan di penginapan yg Charity kelola.
Jatuh cinta dan membuat Charity jatuh cinta padanya bukanlah sesuatu yg ROman rencanakan, menikahpun bukanlah hal yang tercantum dalam penugasannya kali ini. Tetapi Roman berusaha bersikap jujur kepada Charity
Lyndi
Sep 03, 2012 Lyndi rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this story until we got to the end, where Roman's big secret was revealed and Charity flew off the handle and stormed off without hearing his side of the story. This happens in too many stories and it's wearing me down. Especially in this circumstance, where the secret couldn't be revealed due to law enforcement involvement. That's a perfectly reasonable explanation and had I been in Charity's position, I probably wouldn't be all that upset. I certainly wouldn't torture
michele dalessandro
Very disappointed.. not too much of a story..very slow..as a long time fan of Nora Roberts i found this to be a big disappointment.

I would not recommend this book to my friends. I m sorry for the bad reviews but I was hoping for more from Nora
Late To Romance
Feb 08, 2016 Late To Romance rated it liked it
Richelle
This was my first Nora Roberts book and I have to say I was expecting something different. I do not know really what went wrong. I liked the story line and I think it could have been improved on a lot more. Through some of my research I found that this is one of her older books were she was just getting started. I did not find some of the things believable. The timeline did not make sense to me, and the main character was kind of whiny. I could have done without that. I will however give her ...more
Donna
Apr 10, 2016 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was originally published in 2003, despite the 2012 date given. I got a little suspicious when they started talking about "computer diskettes". I don't get it...Nora has written what, 200 books? Is it really necessary to repackage old ones to make it look like a new release?

One star review because I hate being lied to. The book itself is probably 2 or 3 stars, which is why I don't bother with her work from this era.
Gjbates
This book was written in the 80's and it was obvious when the hero smoked and needed to run to a pay phone to place a call. I'm a Nora Roberts fan and I enjoyed it, but I did think the heroine was annoying when she got so mad at the hero for doing his job.
It was definitely more romance than suspense, but there was some suspense with the hero being an undercover FBI agent.
Kristie (fabk)
This book was just okay. Once again it felt rushed and reminded me of a later NR book in a few ways.
I found it a little distressing how much she wanted to belong to Roman. That's why she wanted to marry him, to belong to him. I just find that hard to digest, especially when the character is known for her independance.
Suzanne Cotton
Feb 08, 2016 Suzanne Cotton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fed and the inn keeper

Great book, but I expect nothing less from Nora Roberts. Roman and Charity are drawn to each other like magnets, makes for a sweet although rocky relationship. She's sweet and independent, he's big bad lawman, but she seems to bring out the loving and caring part of him. Great characters, good storyline another thumbs up for Nora Roberts.
Aileen
Jun 01, 2016 Aileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of her earlier novels which doesn't have the Gothic feel of some of the later ones. An FBI agent on an assignment to uncover a counterfeit money scam at an inn on Orcas Island, Washington, soon realises the owner hasn't a clue what's going on, and at the same time he is falling in love with her.
Sonia Cristina
3.5 estrelas

Acabou por ser melhor do que parecia no início, em todos os aspetos. Gostei da forma como a relação de Charity e Roman se desenvolveu e a trama por trás, que levou Roman infiltrado a trabalhar na pousada, também foi boa.

Gostava de ter uma pousada como a de Charity, parece um lugar idílico para viver de forma menos stressante. Isto, claro, se não andarem criminosos por lá.
Elaine
Sep 01, 2016 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too short

I read many Nora Roberts books. I liked this book , however the ending was horrible. It's like u write the books then get burned out and say, the end
For once this book held my interest. Lately I've noticed that Nora Robert's books have been dragging hardly holding my attention
Barbara McGrath
Sep 05, 2014 Barbara McGrath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Welcoming

Another good Nora Roberts romantic novels.
I do enjoy them.
This plot was least of a thriller then some of her romantic thrillers.
I will continue reading her novels.
I do believe I enjoy her stories written under J.D. Robb more then her ones by Nora Roberts.
The woman (Nora Roberts) can and does write some well depicted novels.

• Charming Lily
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Random Acts
  • Star-Spangled Bride
  • Kissing the Bride (Medieval, #4)
  • Pelajaran Cinta (Lesson To Learn)
  • Sang Dokter Yunani (Westerling, #2)
  • The Homeplace (Iowa, Americana, #15)
  • Claiming His Love-Child (O'Connells, #3)
  • Reynold de Burgh: The Dark Knight (de Burgh, #6)
  • The One That Got Away
  • Ya, Saya Bersedia, Tapi... (I Do, I Do... For Now)
  • The Forbidden Princess (Royals, #1)
  • Christmas Cowboy - Natal Sang Koboi
  • Adopted: Outback Baby
  • A Season For Scandal: Tangled Reins & Fair Juno
  • Jack's Baby
  • The Librarian's Passionate Knight (Dynasties: The Barones #8)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

“that” 0 likes