Start by marking “No Time for Goodbye” as Want to Read:
No Time for Goodbye

No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  14,618 ratings  ·  1,455 reviews
The house was deathly quiet. That was the first sign that something was terribly wrong. Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke that morning to find herself alone. Her family - mother, father, and brother - had vanished without a word, without a note, without a trace. Twenty-five years later, Cynthia is still looking for answers. Now she is about to learn the devastating trut ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published August 28th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 25th 2007)

Rebecca
if you can stand the "F" word every other page, sometimes many times in one page...then read this book. Its a lot of fun and really interesting. If I cared enough tho, I'd write the author and tell him how a)unnecessary and b)annoying it was to have to see that word over and over again. I know to some people its not an issue at all but to me..blech. The book was so good on its own, it didn't need it AT ALL.
Janice
I gave this book five stars simply for entertainment value. It was almost like watching a film, the characters came to life and the whole book was great fun to read - who cares if the plot was a little implausable.
It's not the sort of book you'll want to keep and read again but enjoy it as a fast food treat. If you read it over a weekend as I did, beware, you might not get much else done.

Vivian
I picked this one up because the description reminded me of Harlan Coben's books, but was disappointed. The first half of the book, in which Barclay set up his story, is more description than action. I found it pretty boring. No great writing here either. So many readers have commented on the mounting suspense in this book. I found none of that. I felt none of the shock or sense of dread that I usually get when I read a mystery/thriller. Two thirds into the book, I didn't care what actually happ ...more
Bree
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it was written from the point of view of the woman's husband, and he takes you through the past, what little they know...starting with the 25th anniversary of her family's disappearance. About 1/3rd of the way through, you start to get pieces of the puzzle, but they throw in a lot of speculation about who could have done it. Parts of it kept me guessing right until the very end. LOVED this book!
Jessi
So fourteen year old Cynthia has a huge fight with her dad and goes to bed, the next morning she wakes up to find her father, mother and brother have vanished, no note, no nothing. The cars are gone and so are they.

Move forward years and Cynthia is married with an 8 year old and still has no idea what happened to her family. All of a sudden things start happening and
Photobucket

Told from the perspective of Cynthia's husband so you never know if Cynthia is involved, if she's nuts. It was a really great mys
Michele Shimp
Looking for a thriller that you don't want to put down? Then you need to read No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay. [return][return]This book is definitely a page turner! Cynthia's paranoia - is it in her head? Something she's doing - maybe a split personality? What happened to her family? Are they really dead? I cannot imagine for even a second that my family would just disappear. It's not even in my ability to imagine. Knowing that, I can imagine how if that were to happen, how messed up I w ...more
Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea)
No Time For Goodbye is one of those books that grab your attention from the very first page. Not having read any of the author’s books I had no idea what to expect from the story but it was definitely a pleasant surprise and I’m really glad I picked this up. I had a few minor issues with it – which I’m going to get to in a minute – and it wasn’t as fast paced as I anticipated but all in all, it was a gripping novel full of twists and turns and with a touching ending.

Before I go even further, I h
Michael
After having a fight with her parents, fourteen year old Cynthia Bigge wakes up to find her entire family has mysterious vanished without a trace. Twenty-five years later, the mystery of just what happened to them remains unsolved, leading Cynthia to agree to a segment on a popular reality show in the hopes of finding a few answers about the past that haunts her.

Following the show's airing, a series of mysterious events begins to occur including a mysterious car following her daughter, a fedora
Teresa
Tinha grandes expectativas em relação a este livro e…
As Personagens
A adolescente rebelde que uma manhã acorda e descobre que pai, mãe e irmão tinham desaparecido. A adulta irritante que, anos depois, os procura;
O marido - a personagem simpática da história - que tudo arrisca na tentativa de encontrar a verdade;
Mais uns familiares, amigos e conhecidos para enfeitar e justificar o desenvolvimento do assunto.
O Enredo
Um crime, um rapto? O costume;
O culpado? Isso é que não me convenceu lá muito
Sarah Edwina Rose
I was recommended this book by friend who told me she couldn't put it down.

I agree that this book does have some page turning quality, but any hint of excitement at the mystery unfolding was completely overshadowed by the terribly poorly executed and unbelievable narrative.

The story is told by the husband, and he is quite possibly the most uninteresting character I have come across for quite some time. Dry, drab and monotone in his dialogue where any hint of feeling is executed in a cliche and c
Bill
Well, this was very entertaining.

For some reason I had never heard of Linwood Barclay, until some of my Goodreads friends started raving about his latest.
So I grabbed this one, his earliest, and he certainly lived up to the hype. This is a classic page-turner. There is no time to smell the roses along the way: the plot plows through, but not with as much expense to character development as you would find with many thrillers. Even though the development comes mainly through dialogue, it is suffic
Beth
Because this book had rave reviews, I feel justified in launching into a few criticisms.
1.The first person narrator is a high school English teacher yet he insists on colloquialisms (or just plain bad grammar) such as, "Me and Grace went to the store." (Not an actual quote but close.)
2. The tone slips. When Vince comes on stage, we move from Stephen King creepiness to slapstick comedy.
3. Clearly the book was written for the movie version which means there's a lot of fast action with little att
Franco  Santos
Te levantas.
La casa está vacía.
Tu familia ha desaparecido.

Le tenía muchas expectativas a este libro, lamentablemente tengo que decir que me terminó decepcionando.

Empieza muy bien. Es todo como lo pintan en la sinopsis: mucho misterio, nada cuadra, sin embargo, a medida que avanzaba me iba llevando decepción tras decepción.

El final es bastante malo, para mi gusto. Después de tantas incógnitas que Barclay te dé esa resolución...

No obstante, es un buen thriller, sumamente entretenido y ameno.
Samantha
Mar 30, 2008 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of cheesy suspense novels
Maggie
Very unexpected, at times very humorous, this book offered something essential: the need to keep reading until I knew what had happened. The characters, especially the daughter, were very well-defined and I cared about what happened to them
Tony
NO TIME FOR GOODBYE. (2007). Linwood Barclay. ***.
I discovered Barclay through his most recent book, and a friend of mine from Goodreads recommended that I go back and read this earlier one. Although a capable thriller/suspense novel, I found it less qualified than the later book. The author was still learning his craft, particularly his ability to formulate a believable plot peopled by believable characters. His current novel, “Trust Your Eyes,” is head and shoulders above this one. The plot is
Terri Lynn
I only recently discovered this author's books when I read THE ACCIDENT. since I loved that, I then read TOO CLOSE TO HOME and loved it too. I then started reading this clunker and was surprised to find that Barclay had written such a dud.

The book begins with look back 25 years into the past when then 14 year old wild child Cynthia wakes up the morning after she had been found making out and drinking in a car with an older boy by her dad Clayton. Once home, she runs upstairs yelling back to dad
Shona
This is the first book I have read by Barclay and so I was not sure what to expect from it and thankfully I was given a real treat of a read.

Could you imagine being 14 and waking up one morning to find that your family had disappeared? Well try and imagine that and the fact that 25 years on you are still no closer to working out what happened and where they are?

Well this is exactly what happened to Cynthia who woke up to find her mum, dad and brother to have vanished. 25 years on and she is sti
Stephen
In 1993 Thomas H. Cook published a book called Mortal Memory, in which a young man comes home from school to find his mother and sister murdered, and his father gone. He assumed his father had waited for him to come home to kill him, too. Mortal Memory was a very good book.

No Time for Goodbye was published in 2007, and the premise is a fourteen year old girl goes to bed drunk, wakes up to find her entire family missing. Nothing is out of place, they are simply gone.

In spite of lack of blood or
Jen
I don't normally read thrillers, but for some reason this caught my eye, perhaps it was because the plot line wasn't your typical mystery/thriller fare. Basically a girl wakes up in the morning and her family is gone...vanished...no sign of struggle and no clue to where they are or why the disappeared. Twenty five years later she is living the typical American life when the incident all comes to the forefront again.

The plot and pace of the story give it 4 starts, possibly almost 5, but to be hon
Stacey
I liked this one a lot. The best part is that I can read the next one No Safe House right away.
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
So I finished this last night. I needed a little time to think about what I wanted to say.
First, I think it was well written, there were times when I got sucked in and ending up reading longer than I meant to, and that's always a good sign.
I liked the way the story unfolded even though there were times when I had no idea what to think and in general I don't really care for that feeling, but it was definitely a mystery.
For those of you who have read my reviews before, you have probably noticed my
Wendy T
WOW! what a story. This book kept me guessing right up to the end. I was so shocked when the truth finally came out. Awesome suspense.
Betsy
No Time for Goodbye is the first book I have read that was written by Linwood Barclay, but it certainly will not be the last. I thoroughly enjoyed the author's style and plot. So glad to find me another great author to read....
Skye Skye
Going against her parent's wishes, fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge sneaks out with a young guy from school and has too much to drink on a school night. The next morning, hung over and woried, she realizes her parents and brother have disappeared without a trace....

Twenty-five years pass, Cynthia has been raised by her Aunt Tess, but never discovers her parents whereabouts; doggedly she will not give up her search for where, why and how, and permits her story to be televised as a cold case docume
Chana
A well-written and tightly paced mystery thriller.
One morning, after getting drunk with a boyfriend and then fighting with her parents the night before, 14 year old Cynthia wakes and finds herself completely alone in the house. Her family never returns, she never hears a thing about any of them for the next 25 years.
Twenty-five years later she is married and the mother of an 8 year old but she is still haunted by the strange disappearance of her family. She does a TV segment on the mystery and
Luise
Read this yesterday, sorta inbetween other books and I liked it.
The first half was much more thrilling than the second but that's usually the case with me and thrillers. I don't like the part, where the whole mystery starts to be revealed.

I liked the whole idea of the story (SPOILER ALERT!):

A girl has a big fight with her parents because she is 14 and drunk. She goes to bed, more or less passes out for the night and when she wakes up the following morning, her parents and her brother are gone
Misha
I don't read thrillers that much. Mainly this is because most of them seem to provide just senseless excitement and lack actual plotline.
No Time for goodbye not only raises the bar for thrillers, its also an intelligently written book. Its not just about momentary adrenaline rush, its very well-written too. The robotic quality that so many thrillers have is lacking here, its very human.
The novel is gripping and intriguing. It proceeds at breakneck speed. When I had started reading it, I had not
Joey
An ever thickening plot, the mystery deepens with every turn of the page. Don't read this book at night if you have to get up early the next morning. Nearly impossible to set down. Even after you set it down and turn out the lights to go to sleep, your mind is a whirlwind of Sherlockian thoughts keeping you awake. Great read. Highly recommended.
Veronica
One night 14 year old Cynthia has a fight with her parents, slams her door and goes to bed. The next morning when she awakes all is unusually quiet. Her parents and brother have disappeared without a trace. Were they punishing her? The ensuing police investigation brings up nothing and Cynthia goes to live with her Aunt Tess.
25 Years on, Cynthia and her husband, Terry Archer, are approached by the television show “Deadline”. A show that revisits unsolved crimes hoping new evidence will surface.
Did it explain .... 13 214 Aug 15, 2014 05:26AM
  • Severed
  • Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)
  • You're Next
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • Just One Look
  • Lost Girls
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Amokspiel
  • By the Time You Read This
  • A Quiet Belief In Angels
  • A Room Swept White (Spilling CID, #5)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Abduction
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of thirteen novels, including Trust Your Eyes, A Tap on the Window, No Time for Goodbye and that novel's followup, No Safe House.
This summer, his thriller Broken Promise, the first of three linked novels about his fictional upstate New York town Promise Falls, will be released. Book two will come nine months later, and another nine month
More about Linwood Barclay...

No Time For Goodbye (2 books)
  • No Safe House
Never Look Away The Accident Too Close to Home Fear the Worst Trust Your Eyes

“Dear Anyone: This is a letter from one anyone to another anyone, no names required, because nobody really knows anyway. Names don't make a hell of a lot of difference. The world is made up entirely of strangers. Millions and millions of them. Everyone is a stranger to everyone else. Sometimes we think we know other people, especially those we supposedly are close to, but if we really knew them, why are we so often surprised by the shit they do? Like, parents are always surprised by what their kids will do. They raise them from the time they are babies, spend each and every day with them, think they're these goddamn fucking angels, and then one day the cops come to the door and say hey, guess what parents? Your kid just bashed some other kid's head in with a baseball bat. Or you're the kid, and you think things are pretty fucking OK, and then one day this guy who's supposed to be your dad says so long, have a nice life. And you think, what the fuck is this? So years later, your mom ends up living with another guy, and he seems OK, but you think, when's it coming? That's what life is. Life is always asking yourself, when's it coming? Because if it hasn't come for a long time, you know you're fucking due. All the best, Anyone.” 50 likes
“ready,” 0 likes