Start by marking “The Fraud” as Want to Read:
The Fraud

The Fraud

This is a rich historical novel set in 18th-century London. 1763. Filipo di Vecellio of Florence, portrait painter, is the toast of London: rich, successful and married to a beautiful woman. Their house is the hub of the art world but beneath the surface, the house conceals a swarm of dangerous secrets.
Published August 1st 2009 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about The Fraud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fraud

Hollyanne
Aug 11, 2014 Hollyanne rated it it was amazing
I read a couple of Ewing's books a few summers ago and picked this one up to read this year and I really enjoyed it.
The Fraud follows the story of Grace, a person burdened by circumstance who desires nothing more than to become a painter like her brother.
I felt so attached to Grace, to her passion, her love and loss and desperation to be accepted for what she is: a painter.
Well written reminiscent of 'The Tea Rose' in some of the writing style, for me anyway, I found the change of 3rd to 1st p
EmyAttorney
Jun 25, 2015 EmyAttorney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wonderful-women
This is the first book I've read by Barbara Ewing, and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised. Don't misunderstand, I love both historical fiction and stuff about art, but often, when they are transposed into books, they end up being really boring and dreary. Not in this case, though. The writing is simple and easy to both read and follow. The story flows fluidly, and the only part which can be considered a bit "heavy" is the start, but after that everything slides into place, making ...more
Jean Overbeck
Sep 16, 2016 Jean Overbeck rated it really liked it
A very interesting story set in 18th Century London in the world of artists. Not Barbara Ewing's best - but worth a read.
Graceann
Feb 25, 2010 Graceann rated it it was amazing
It is a very rare occasion when I honestly don't know what's going to happen next at any point in a novel. There was never a moment in The Fraud where I said "ah, this is where such and so will occur." I mean this as high praise.

Grace Marshall has a completely unpredictable life in Bristol and then Georgian London, and encounters many people the average woman would never meet. She has great aspiration and vigour; despite attempts to thwart her ambitions, she keeps her eyes on a goal denied most
Jenny Barden
Jun 20, 2012 Jenny Barden rated it it was amazing
Deeply moving and a magnificently brave tour de force, this is a novel that rewards the reader handsomely for seeing through the journey, one which begins quite slowly and quietly in a way which offers few clues to the excitement that lies ahead. Set in the eighteenth century, in the era of Gainsborough, Reynolds and Hogarth, at the heart of the story is an unravelling of what it takes to be a uniquely talented artist, and moreover a woman, at a time when women were never taken seriously as ...more
Shelley
Sep 01, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A story of a girl who dreams beyond the bounds of the woman's lot in regency England. Written in a style appropriate to the era it covers, the book reveals the cruelty of having dreams, ambition and talent, but the wrong gender! This is no advert for Women's Lib, but the frustration and even fear of living at the mercy of family isn't far below the surface of this narrative as Grace becomes embittered and set upon revenge. English society in the 18th Century is painted as narcissistic, at times ...more
Alison Sloan
Jun 16, 2012 Alison Sloan rated it it was amazing
This has been my favourite Barbra Ewing book so far. Barbara Ewing creates a strong verbal template on which I could create a world for the characters. Again the subject matter was enthralling and her style of writing fluid and easy to follow. Again, my only complaint, why can't the book end completely? Why must it always be left hanging for a potential sequel? Having said that, grab any of her books if you see them. She's one of the finest kiwi writers.
Lisa Lemus
Sep 14, 2015 Lisa Lemus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-collection
I couldn't put this book down, and read it in one day. It's been awhile since a book was that amazing. As usual Barbara Ewing does not disappoint. This is her third book I've read and I've really enjoyed them all for the unusual choices and real decisions the heroines make, this is no normal historical fiction novel with a woman waiting around to be saved.
Vicki Klemm
Dec 11, 2009 Vicki Klemm rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story about 18th Century Grace and her lifelong dream to become an artist/painter and all of the obstacles she encountered. The author did a good job of describing Bristol/London during those times.
Naz Khan
Sep 07, 2012 Naz Khan rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book once I got past the first few chapters, which I found hard to get into but I'm glad I persevered.This book played with my emotions quite a lot and I was way more involved in the characters lives than is normal!
Prestoni
Sep 27, 2012 Prestoni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Barbara Ewing is a great writer and I have loved this story the second time I've read it as much as the first. All her books I've read have been beautifully written and gripping until the end.
Lyn Mcdonell
Feb 02, 2013 Lyn Mcdonell rated it really liked it
Another excellent book by Barbara Ewing. It is the second of her books that I have read and enjoyed. I will look for more.
Anne Wright
Jul 28, 2014 Anne Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved
You need to read this book.

The talented female used the bolster the ego of a less talented man

Karolína
Oct 23, 2013 Karolína rated it it was amazing
Amazingly fascinating and sad novel with historical facts, you'll think of the main character many years after reading this book.
Pascalle Franssen
Aug 27, 2014 Pascalle Franssen rated it really liked it
Een ontroerend en mooi verhaal over een meisje wat ondanks alle tegenslagen in haar leven maar een droom heeft en dat is schilderen. Tot op het einde bleef het boek boeiend en onvoorspelbaar.
Pkandyi
Pkandyi rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
Davina
Davina rated it really liked it
May 29, 2011
Lynne Milligan
Lynne Milligan rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Pigletto
Pigletto rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2016
Fiona Wong
Fiona Wong rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Ros Bennett
Ros Bennett rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Als
Als rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2009
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Elizabeth Hamer
Elizabeth Hamer rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Alexandra Gray
Alexandra Gray rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Olivia Prutz
Olivia Prutz rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Kitty (The Smuggler's Wife #1)
  • Season of Light
  • Carnevale
  • Mozart's Sister
  • Dancing at the Chance
  • Dark Places
  • Hester Roon
  • The Rose Grower
  • Resurrectionist (Matthew Hawkwood, #2)
  • The Serpent in the Garden
  • Scapegallows
  • Coming Home
  • The Princess in the Tower (Beneath the Crown, #2)
  • A Proper Education for Girls
  • Midnight Fires (Mary Wollstonecraft, #1)
  • Fixing Shadows