Start by marking “Dan Rice: The Most Famous Man You've Never Heard of” as Want to Read:
Dan Rice: The Most Famous Man You've Never Heard of

Dan Rice: The Most Famous Man You've Never Heard of

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This brilliant, richly illustrated biography of a 19th century performer introduces readers to the most famous American they've never heard of, while exploring the history of entertainment and the cult of celebrity. Illustrations throughout.
Published December 1st 2001 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about Dan Rice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Rice

Heidi Weaver
Oh my, what a difficult book to get threw. Must we use so many dumb words for things that make no sense at times. Interesting facts about the man. It didn't need to be text book boring. I swear if that man uses
Antebellum one more time....
Ronald
Never heard of this man until I read this book. Dan Rice was an early vaudevillian, politician, writer and celebrity of the mid-late 19th century, whose life was filled with humor and variety. Mr. Carlyon offers a richly detailed, fascinating glimpse at celebrity well over 100 years ago.
Judith Rice
It was a book full of Americana during the 1840 - 1660's about a travelling circus. It was written more like a textbook than a biography of Dan Rice.
I personally learned much about that ime period of the coming of the Civil War and after.
Holly
I wish there was a shelf for "gave up". I don't give up on books very often, but this book just didn't grab me. I've got a shelf full of more interesting books that have called me away from it. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.
Jeff Raymond
Great concept to write about an interesting, forgotten man, but poorly executed. It felt like it was all over the place, and didn't engage me in the least.
Diana Gail
May be a bit wordy, but I did learn about the life and times of the beginnings of what became circus life. Interesting for the historical aspect.
Keegan Allen
Keegan Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Kimi Strain
Kimi Strain marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Sam Stansel
Sam Stansel marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Heather Maoury
Heather Maoury marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Jacob Mai
Jacob Mai is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Nancy
Nancy added it
Aug 26, 2013
Joe Defazio
Joe Defazio marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Louie
Louie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2011
Teresa
Teresa added it
Oct 11, 2011
Tangle
Tangle added it
Aug 23, 2011
Margi
Margi marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2011
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2008
Elizabethan Performance In North American Spaces The Amazing American Circus Poster: The Strobridge Lithographing Company Theatre and Moral Order: Theatre Symposium, V 15