Start by marking “Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary

Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary

Maya the cow, J.D. the piglet, Hilda the sheep, and a dozen more animals all speak directly to the reader, showing off their unique personalities in this wonderful collection of poems. Master watercolorist Robert Rahway Zakanitch provides a portrait that perfectly captures the essence of each creature. Together the poems and paintings add up to a picture of life on the ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Our Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Farm

The Lorax by Dr. SeussThat's Why We Don't Eat Animals by Ruby RothHerb, the Vegetarian Dragon by Jules  BassHubert the Pudge by Henrik DrescherVegan Is Love by Ruby Roth
Vegetarian & Vegan Friendly Books for Kids
7th out of 82 books — 53 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Sight by David Clement-Davies
Best Animal Books
129th out of 273 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Aug 31, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: humane education; vegan kids; kids who have visited or will visit any farmed animal sanctuary
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I love the organization Farm Sanctuary. I’ve been to the Orland, California location twice. I think Bonnie the donkey in this book was from Orland. But most of the animals featured are, I think, from the original Watkins Glen, New York location.

So, re this book: I wanted to like it more than I did. I appreciated the author’s note for grown-ups at the back of the book, I enjoyed the illustrations very much, but I wasn’t that fond of the poems. While they do capture each species of animal suffici
Karen Witzler
May 28, 2015 Karen Witzler rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Abused or abandoned farm animals find a home at Farm Sanctuary. In this children's picture book each anthropomorphized animal is paired with a poem describing their sweet, free life at the sanctuary. Appealing.
Karen Arendt
Aug 26, 2010 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
I came across this book by accident browsing new books at the public library. And, how strange, but just last Sunday there was an article in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle about the Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen. The poems are short and so perfectly suited the to personalities of the animals at the Farm Sanctuary. I loved the poems! The illustrations are a combination of bright or muted colors, depending on the animal. The artwork also include pencil sketches of the animals on the page ...more
dara
Mar 09, 2011 dara rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I love the illustrations. The poems didn't do much for me, but I'm a little over the age of the intended audience anyway. I wish there was something more to inform children what exactly is special about these animals--that their lives are not typical of farm animals--other than a brief note to adults at the end.
Peacegal
Mar 05, 2010 Peacegal rated it really liked it
This is a gentle picture book that celebrates rescued animals while at the same time being light and appealing to all ages and backgrounds. The artwork is realistic and charming, though I'm not a fan of the sketchbook-style "extras" that frame the main images and the text.

Our Farm would be an excellent choice for public and school libraries. I purchased a copy for mine.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Aug 07, 2015 Taylor Kundel-Gower rated it it was amazing
The beautiful poems, the watercolors! I can't speak highly enough of this book! It makes me feel so happy for the safe, loved farm animals at animal sanctuaries, but reminds me that most farm animals are abused, tortured and slaughtered. More sanctuaries, less slaughterhouses!
Mary
Aug 13, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
My 4-year-old daughter loves this book. Her favorite poems from it are "Freedom" by JD the piglet and "It's Good to be a Kid" by Ari and Alicia (2 young goats). It's a fun read, and Farm Sanctuary is a wonderful organization.
Gail  Marton
Jan 29, 2011 Gail Marton rated it it was amazing
A wonderful selection of poetry for the young as a companion to Fairfield's "One Book, One Read, 2011."
Hilary
Jul 11, 2016 Hilary rated it liked it
I liked some of the poems, but I didn't really like the illustrations. Some of the pictures were nice, but overall it had an unfinished feel.
Tomi
Tomi rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
flo
flo rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Dylan
Dylan rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Laura Salas
Laura Salas rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2010
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2010
. rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Ann-margaret Donato
Ann-margaret Donato rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Lacey
Lacey rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Shelly Sparks
Shelly Sparks rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Jen Gray
Jen Gray rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Monika
Monika rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2012
Mrs. Crummie
Mrs. Crummie rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2011
Trinity
Trinity rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Shelli
Mar 04, 2010 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!
Jessy
Jessy rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Mary Elizabeth
Mary Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2010
Barbara Maguire
Barbara Maguire rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2011