Start by marking “Jonny Double (Vertigo)” as Want to Read:
Jonny Double (Vertigo)

Jonny Double (Vertigo Resurrected)

In a noir story cloaked in deception and intrigue, broken-down San Francisco P.I. Jonny Double accepts a simple job to watch over a rich man's rebellious daughter. But after being foolishly seduced by the girl he is being paid to keep tabs on, Jonny finds himself mixed up in a scheme to plunder an old bank account belonging to Al Capone. Once the heist is made, Double disc ...more
Published August 23rd 2002 by DC Comics (first published December 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Jonny Double, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonny Double

Roybot
Sep 07, 2015 Roybot rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This pre-100 Bullets work from Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso pulls obscure DC beatnik private eye Jonny Double and puts him into a typical noir detective set-up. A bunch of restless twenty-somethings out looking for thrills think they've come up with a clever get-richer-quick scheme: steal the money from an inactive bank account belonging to the now-deceased Al Capone. Jonny, who is being paid to watch over the daughter of a wealthy client, gets pulled into the scheme. Of course, nothing goe ...more
Shawn
I dug this 4 issue miniseries out of my comics collection to re-read, so if they made any changes when they collected it, this review won't reflect them.

I'm not one for crime/noir fiction (or comics) - it generally seem locked into its traditional tough-guy rituals so securely that I lose interest quickly (although I imagine that could just as easily be said of horror fiction) - I am trying to shake up this opinion a bit, though. That said, I really dug JONNY DOUBLE (and I'm sure Jonny would "di
Joe Kucharski
Oct 09, 2015 Joe Kucharski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Looking for a hard boiled tale? One of a down-on-his-luck PI who gets wrapped so tightly around the soft, manicured finger of a femme fatale that he agrees to a bank heist? Want to read about a former hipster now rough-talkin’ zero with a craving for bad beers? Then jump on in to Vertigo’s JONNY DOUBLE mini-series. Save for the occasional shark going after that trail of blood, the water’s just fine.

Before the advent of 100 BULLETS – and when 100 BULLETS was a fresh, easy read full of mystery – B
Wesley
Aug 04, 2012 Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This book collects the four issue mini-series that was the first collaboration between writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso. This was the start of a successful partnership that has since produced 100 Bullets, the current Spaceman and some Batman stories.

Jonny Double is an ex-cop turned private investigator whose latest client has just turned up dead. The down on his luck Jonny is then hired by a mysterious Mr. Hart to find out what crowd his daughter, Faith, is running with and to kee
Brendan
A hard-boiled noir crime story cut from the same cloth as 100 Bullets, both in style, art, and writing. Jonny is a low-rent P.I. who gets roped into helping pull a burglary, only to find that the job and its aftermath are way more complicated than he'd expected. This has everything: mobsters, a femme fatale, a sap with some gumption, and a bunch of violence.

The comic is okay, but the mystery gets a little confusing at the end. Azzarello jumps ahead and tells the last pieces in flashback, which d
Kevin
Feb 13, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There isn't really anything wrong with this graphic. It has everything you'd expect to see in a noir story or movie. It's vulgar, witty, keeps you thinking and even manages to entertain, but the one thing it lacks is compassion. The main character isn't even all that likable so it makes it difficult to even care what happens or who it happens to and how. Not bad for light reading.
Andrea
I like Azzarello's stuff, I really do, and seeing him with Risso again is obviously very nice. However, I just couldn't finish this one. Sometimes his storylines (while expertly crafted)are a bit dense and I had more compelling things in my stack. Perhaps I'll get back to it sometime soon.
Caleb
Sep 06, 2009 Caleb rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A perfectly solid, enjoyable crime drama by the 100 Bullets creative team, who have the genre down pat.
Dennis G
Dennis G rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2010
Jonathan Mills
Jonathan Mills rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2010
DWJ
DWJ rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Miguel
Miguel rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Harold Neighbors
Harold Neighbors rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2009
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2012
Svetlana Googlelina
Svetlana Googlelina rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Michael Colwin
Michael Colwin rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Justin Unrau
Justin Unrau rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2008
David Smith
David Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Jonas Magnusson
Jonas Magnusson rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Barney610
Barney610 rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Jamie Boardman
Jamie Boardman rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Heemel Dutta
Heemel Dutta rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Jacen Burrows
Jacen Burrows rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
Stripofil
Stripofil rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Tonymontana228
Tonymontana228 rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2012
Lucy Coleman
Lucy Coleman rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Human Target
  • Starman, Vol. 3: A Wicked Inclination
  • Young Liars, Vol. 1: Daydream Believer
  • The Originals
  • Girls: The Complete Collection Deluxe Hardcover
  • Frank Miller's Sin City: The Library Edition, Set I (Frank Miller's Sin City, #1-4)
  • The Technopriests: Oversized Deluxe
  • The Question: Pipeline
  • Our Cancer Year
  • The Filth
  • The Mighty Avengers, Volume 7: Siege
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

Vertigo Resurrected (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Hellblazer Special: Bad Blood