Start by marking “Your Endowment” as Want to Read:
Your Endowment

Your Endowment

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Though we often spend years preparing to enter the temple, we all know that there are times when temple worship can seem confusing, repetitive, or even boring. In this remarkable volume, Mark Shields, an experienced gospel teacher, casts new light on the symbolism inherent in temple ordinances and provides a wealth of insights that will change the way you worship. Whether ...more
Published August 8th 2009 by Cedar Fort (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Your Endowment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Endowment

Eden
Sep 19, 2015 Eden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: study
This book is for anyone who is preparing to enter the temple, or for anyone who is, like I was, a bit overwhelmed by the endowment process. It walks you very clearly through what to expect in the temple by pulling from scripture, past prophets, and current prophets. It compares ancient temple rituals to those of modern times. It shows Jesus Christ's role in it all—the temple, our lives, etc. I recommend it, and I will probably read it again and again as I continue to go to the temple.
Sara
Jul 09, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
I learned so much! If you want to know more about the symbols in the temple, this is a great book. I highly recommend it if you attend the temple!
Tony
Sep 22, 2015 Tony rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very insightful and informative. It helped me to view the temple and the symbolism there in new light. I appreciated that Shields pulls information from scripture, and current leaders of the church. I feel he does a good job of summarizing some of the concepts that we may not have explored in our studies to better understand the temple.

I highly recommend this to anyone looking to understand the temple in a new and inspired way.
John  Kirkman
Jan 07, 2013 John Kirkman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds, 2012
wow...blew me away...I've read several temple books. I place this one at the top. a must study book. note I didn't say a must read book. this is steak and takes time to digest, bit oh how worth it.
Brittany
May 14, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing
This is the book I've been looking for. I have such a hard time thinking symbolically because my brain is very literal. It's made English classes and scripture study difficult, and it also makes it hard for me to find deeper meaning in the temple. I've checked out several books about temples, but they mostly talk about the blessings of temple worship. I understand that it's difficult to write about this topic as so much in the temple is sacred and can't be discussed outside the temple. However, ...more
Rachel
May 21, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what I was looking for - a book about temple worship that was instructive rather than testimonial. The author does an exceptional job of enlightening the reader about the symbols of the temple in a way that made me want to go to the temple more often to learn more. I completely enjoyed this book and feel that it added a lot to my understanding. Would definitely recommend.
Jeffrey Richardson
Jul 09, 2014 Jeffrey Richardson rated it really liked it
One of the better books I've read on the endowment. Great book for someone wanting to know more about the endowment, in a easy to read way! I certianly learned a thing or two that I had not known before.
Traci Larson
Mar 05, 2015 Traci Larson rated it it was amazing
How I wish I had read this before going to the temple for the first time. Or the second.
It has opened my eyes to finding a deeper understanding of the endowment.
Great book by a great guy!
Marie
Jun 08, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that I read it three times and will probably read it three more! I understand so much more about the temple than I ever have before.
Beckarado
Mar 30, 2016 Beckarado rated it it was amazing
I really loved reading this book and then going to the temple and thinking about things differently or in more depth.
Keri
Apr 01, 2014 Keri rated it it was amazing
Such an insightful read. I will continue to revisit this book throughout my life, I am sure.
Swhe641200
Dec 31, 2014 Swhe641200 rated it it was amazing
12.2014. Gave insight into the temple experience.
Curtis Funk
Nov 28, 2014 Curtis Funk rated it it was amazing
Quick read. Excellent thoughts to enhance your worship.
Brad
Apr 28, 2011 Brad rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading Your Endowment. It has many useful insights that are helping me appreciate my temple experience and also enlightening my study of the scriptures. I appreciated the careful, respectful approach to sacred things. This is a great book for someone preparing to go to the temple and can compliment the LDS church's Temple Preparation manual, Endowed from on High. I appreciate that Your Endowment is carefully built on a foundation that includes the scriptures and the words of prophets.
Linda
Dec 27, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-study
This took me a long time to read because I needed to study and ponder. It is very deep but meaningful information. I know that I have more work to do to understand the symbols in the scriptures as well as the temple. This book gives a guide to helping understand the symbols but it does require the individual to put forth effort. I recommend this book to all who are working on understanding symbols better. I have been searching for books with this theme - I liked this one.
Cami
May 10, 2015 Cami rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-book
I'd give this more than 5 stars if that were possible. I have read many of the temple books in this book's bibliography and am grateful to now have this easy to read summary of the best and most important things to know about the temple. This is the book I have been looking for. Read it. Love it.
Apzmarshl
Mar 28, 2016 Apzmarshl rated it it was amazing
What. Just. Happened. How did I never get this before? Written so plainly, yet keeping the sacred sacred. I feel like I need to sit in the temple parking lot and read the chapter summaries, then bolt inside while it's still fresh.
This is a must read, must study, must reread.
Jessica
Dec 12, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very helpful in enhancing my temple experience. I loved the explanations and definitions. I would recommend this book to anyone whether it's going through for the first time or you just want to get more out of your experience.
Kathee
Dec 28, 2012 Kathee rated it it was amazing
Great book. It gave me so much to think about and I am anxious for my next visit to the temple to see how this new knowledge increases my understanding (the chapter on understanding the words was so helpful for me).
Natalie
Jun 22, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I got to read this book! I would recommend it to anyone that is going to the temple for the first time or someone that has been numerous times!
Sandrine
Feb 06, 2014 Sandrine rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Insightful. Uplifting.
Arianna
Nov 04, 2014 Arianna rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
Since I've been heavily preparing for the temple myself for the past two weeks, I thought this would be a good book to read. I feel like the insights in it were really valuable and got me thinking about things I hadn't thought about before. I also feel like it does a great job at preparing the reader for the general motifs within the temple as well as the importance of the Atonement. It did get a tad repetitive at times and the format was a little distracting, but overall, I would definitely rec ...more
Rachel Rueckert
May 27, 2014 Rachel Rueckert rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, lds
This book gave me a really helpful framing about what to expect and appreciate when I go to the temple for the first time. I will be going through next month, but this book helped me feel a lot more confident in my preparation despite not knowing the details. It gave broad strokes that I believe will make my first experience at the temple much more meaningful and enjoyable.
Kaitlin
Feb 17, 2015 Kaitlin rated it liked it
I appreciated the insights into the temple experience and the opportunity to learn things I haven't known before.
The writing itself leaves a little to be desired. It was bit repetitive at points and didn't have a very good flow.
it did make for a great Sunday read though.
Tyler
Apr 21, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I found this concise volume very helpful for me in preparing to receive my endowment. It is a useful companion to the scriptures, which are of course the true guide to temple preparation. The scriptures are a key to understanding the temple, and the temple is a key to understanding the scriptures. The Holy Ghost makes it all work together for our instruction and edification.
Kim
Jul 06, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Initially I bought this book before I went through the temple. After a few chapters in, though, I decided to wait on reading it until I'd been through the temple a few times, but I left on my mission before I was able to start reading it again. Lately I've been feeling like my temple worship has plateaued, so I pulled this book out to get some ideas. Boy did it help! I've got some great food for thought and some new things to focus on and think about the next time I go to the temple. I love how ...more
Rae
Jan 27, 2014 Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, temple-stuff
An excellent resource that somewhat mirrors the curriculum in the Temple Preparation class. It is written in such a way that anyone would benefit from it -- whether attending for the first time or the thousandth. I found some tasty tidbits of truth in here that I had not thought of before. Good stuff.
Courtney
May 21, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this when I was still teaching Temple Prep. It has great summaries of key points at the end of each chapter that would have helped me keep things simpler and more organized in my class. The first part of the book was more interesting to me than the last part. I also was grateful for the bibliography and the list of articles that he pulled from; I plan on tracking down some of the articles. If you're struggling with understanding temple worship? It's a great resource. The more w ...more
Jacob Dalley
May 23, 2015 Jacob Dalley rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Very well presented. Great information. I learned a lot from this book, way more than I was expending to learn.
Jamille Parks
Dec 10, 2014 Jamille Parks rated it really liked it
This has been the best guide that I've read so far that has helped me prepare to got through the temple. A lot of questions have been answered and I feel a little more confident about going through. If you have questions about the temple, or want to know more, I would definitely read this.
  • Defined By Christ
  • House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple
  • The Temple: Where Heaven Meets Earth
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • Angels: Agents of Light, Love, and Power
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • The Continuous Atonement
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Living Your Covenants Every Day
  • Temple Worship: 20 Truths That Will Bless Your Life
  • House of Learning: Getting More from Your Temple Experience
  • Teaching, No Greater Call: A Resource Guide for Gospel Teaching (1981)
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Whom the Lord Loveth: The Journey of Discipleship