Start by marking “Your Endowment” as Want to Read:
Your Endowment

Your Endowment

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Though we often spend years preparing to enter the temple, we all know that there are times when temple worship can seem confusing, repetitive, or even boring. In this remarkable volume, Mark Shields, an experienced gospel teacher, casts new light on the symbolism inherent in temple ordinances and provides a wealth of insights that will change the way you worship. Whether ...more
Published August 8th 2009 by Cedar Fort (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Your Endowment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Endowment

John  Kirkman
wow...blew me away...I've read several temple books. I place this one at the top. a must study book. note I didn't say a must read book. this is steak and takes time to digest, bit oh how worth it.
Brittany
This is the book I've been looking for. I have such a hard time thinking symbolically because my brain is very literal. It's made English classes and scripture study difficult, and it also makes it hard for me to find deeper meaning in the temple. I've checked out several books about temples, but they mostly talk about the blessings of temple worship. I understand that it's difficult to write about this topic as so much in the temple is sacred and can't be discussed outside the temple. However, ...more
Rachel
This book is exactly what I was looking for - a book about temple worship that was instructive rather than testimonial. The author does an exceptional job of enlightening the reader about the symbols of the temple in a way that made me want to go to the temple more often to learn more. I completely enjoyed this book and feel that it added a lot to my understanding. Would definitely recommend.
Jeffrey Richardson
One of the better books I've read on the endowment. Great book for someone wanting to know more about the endowment, in a easy to read way! I certianly learned a thing or two that I had not known before.
Marie
I loved this book so much that I read it three times and will probably read it three more! I understand so much more about the temple than I ever have before.
Keri
Such an insightful read. I will continue to revisit this book throughout my life, I am sure.
Swhe641200
12.2014. Gave insight into the temple experience.
Curtis Funk
Quick read. Excellent thoughts to enhance your worship.
Brad
I enjoyed reading Your Endowment. It has many useful insights that are helping me appreciate my temple experience and also enlightening my study of the scriptures. I appreciated the careful, respectful approach to sacred things. This is a great book for someone preparing to go to the temple and can compliment the LDS church's Temple Preparation manual, Endowed from on High. I appreciate that Your Endowment is carefully built on a foundation that includes the scriptures and the words of prophets.
Linda
This took me a long time to read because I needed to study and ponder. It is very deep but meaningful information. I know that I have more work to do to understand the symbols in the scriptures as well as the temple. This book gives a guide to helping understand the symbols but it does require the individual to put forth effort. I recommend this book to all who are working on understanding symbols better. I have been searching for books with this theme - I liked this one.
Jessica
I found this book to be very helpful in enhancing my temple experience. I loved the explanations and definitions. I would recommend this book to anyone whether it's going through for the first time or you just want to get more out of your experience.
Kathee
Great book. It gave me so much to think about and I am anxious for my next visit to the temple to see how this new knowledge increases my understanding (the chapter on understanding the words was so helpful for me).
Natalie
I'm so glad I got to read this book! I would recommend it to anyone that is going to the temple for the first time or someone that has been numerous times!
Sandrine
Beautiful. Insightful. Uplifting.
Arianna
Since I've been heavily preparing for the temple myself for the past two weeks, I thought this would be a good book to read. I feel like the insights in it were really valuable and got me thinking about things I hadn't thought about before. I also feel like it does a great job at preparing the reader for the general motifs within the temple as well as the importance of the Atonement. It did get a tad repetitive at times and the format was a little distracting, but overall, I would definitely rec ...more
Rachel Rueckert
This book gave me a really helpful framing about what to expect and appreciate when I go to the temple for the first time. I will be going through next month, but this book helped me feel a lot more confident in my preparation despite not knowing the details. It gave broad strokes that I believe will make my first experience at the temple much more meaningful and enjoyable.
Kaitlin
I appreciated the insights into the temple experience and the opportunity to learn things I haven't known before.
The writing itself leaves a little to be desired. It was bit repetitive at points and didn't have a very good flow.
it did make for a great Sunday read though.
Tyler
I found this concise volume very helpful for me in preparing to receive my endowment. It is a useful companion to the scriptures, which are of course the true guide to temple preparation. The scriptures are a key to understanding the temple, and the temple is a key to understanding the scriptures. The Holy Ghost makes it all work together for our instruction and edification.
Kim
Initially I bought this book before I went through the temple. After a few chapters in, though, I decided to wait on reading it until I'd been through the temple a few times, but I left on my mission before I was able to start reading it again. Lately I've been feeling like my temple worship has plateaued, so I pulled this book out to get some ideas. Boy did it help! I've got some great food for thought and some new things to focus on and think about the next time I go to the temple. I love how ...more
Rae
An excellent resource that somewhat mirrors the curriculum in the Temple Preparation class. It is written in such a way that anyone would benefit from it -- whether attending for the first time or the thousandth. I found some tasty tidbits of truth in here that I had not thought of before. Good stuff.
Courtney
I wish I had read this when I was still teaching Temple Prep. It has great summaries of key points at the end of each chapter that would have helped me keep things simpler and more organized in my class. The first part of the book was more interesting to me than the last part. I also was grateful for the bibliography and the list of articles that he pulled from; I plan on tracking down some of the articles. If you're struggling with understanding temple worship? It's a great resource. The more w ...more
Jamille Parks
This has been the best guide that I've read so far that has helped me prepare to got through the temple. A lot of questions have been answered and I feel a little more confident about going through. If you have questions about the temple, or want to know more, I would definitely read this.
Kt
This was a wonderful way to prepare to go through the temple for the first time! I feel like I learned a ton
Adam
While I agree with the author, his other book has his better writing, this is a powerful book in itself. I can't imagine the reason for other publisher's passing on it, but it is a book that I openly want to share with others for them to understand the plain, yet ignored, meaning and purpose behind the temple endowment. I wish the author wrote a new edition to this and updated it to his knowledge and our benefit.
Jenny
This book helped me think of key components of the temple endowment in a new way. Understanding the meaning of certain pivotal words, phrases and other symbolic biblical rituals expanded my knowledge of the symbolism of the endowment and it's significance. Shields' ability to demystify the endowment makes this book a must read for long time members and temple first timers alike.
Kimberly Walsh
Excellent book. It was great on the first read through but needs to be read several times to really plumb the depths of the subject matter. This one will be read again and again as I gain more insight from going to the Temple. I should be getting my Endowment sometime in July 2013 and I am really looking forward to gaining a deeper understanding.
Patricia
Ok, so I only gave him three stars, but that is because of a lot of repetition, all of which is good stuff, but, well, repetitious. He did have some things to say/explained them in a different way that I had thought of them and for this reason alone it was worth reading. I have a stack of temple books to read and look forward to the next one.
Alicia
Mar 28, 2011 Alicia added it
so, I didn't read much of this book, but what I did read was perfect for me. I'm told it's a great book to read not only in preparation for receiving your endowment but also for those well-seasoned temple goers. I think in a little while I'll pick this up again and actually read through the whole thing.
Mindy
Except for the symbolism chapter I really enjoyed this book. It's not that the symbolism chapter wasn't good, it was just took more thinking for me to follow. There were several things the author talked about that were "light bulb" moments for me and I found it helpful.
Kristen
I really enjoyed the first chapters in the book and gained some valuable insight. I wasn't as interested in the last three chapters. I still found some helpful information, but I was getting bored. Should you read it? If it sounds interesting, probably.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gospel Symbols: Finding the Creator in His Creations Marine Renewable Energy Technology and Environmental Interactions Discoveries in Chiasmus - A Pattern in All Things