Start by marking “Sentinel/the Tr” as Want to Read:
Sentinel/the Tr

Sentinel/the Tr

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,391 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Originally published in 1983, the "2001 Anniversary Edition" of Arthur C. Clarke's The Sentinel offers insight and commentary on 10 of Clarke's most notable short stories.

In Clarke's introduction, he explores why he became the kind of writer he did, and he offers a look at the very first paragraph he ever published--in 1933. This anthology spans three decades, beginning i

Published November 1st 1983 by Berkley Trade (first published January 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Sentinel/the Tr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sentinel/the Tr

Patrick Sprunger
Arthur C. Clarke defines "science fiction" and "fantasy" in remarkably simple terms. "Fantasy" is any story that is physically impossible, as measured by our understanding of science. "Science fiction" is any story that is at least theoretically possible, given applicable technology.

Both genres are prolific and - I think it's fair to say - often silly. Arthur C. Clarke is sometimes as silly as it gets, but he has an uncanny knack for making the reader momentarily forget that humans have not yet
Marie Segares
The Sentinel is a collection of short stories by Arthur C. Clarke. I've read several of Clarke's novels (and loved them), but I wasn't sure how I would feel about his short stories. I shouldn't have been concerned because Clarke, like most sci fi writers of his generation, cut his teeth writing short stories for magazines.

Each story successfully creates its own internal world, and while the stories are actually quite different in tone, the main themes are space travel and what I would call the
Tancredi
Una raccolta imprescindibile, un gioiello di fantascienza da esibire sullo scaffale insieme ad altre raccolte, come Il meglio di Asimov. Questa raccolta, in effetti, potrebbe esser chiamata Il meglio di Clarke, per le affinità evidenti con la raccolta asimoviana: un insieme di racconti in ordine cronologico, ognuno scelto dall'autore, accompagnati da prefazioni, che riescono nell'impresa di restituire una summa di tutta l'opera dello scrittore.
A cominciare dal famosissimo La sentinella, che ha d
Virginia
Muy buena colección de relatos de Clarke!

Si bien todos los relatos fueron entretenidos a su manera, mis favoritos fueron "El centinela" (relato que ya había leído hace un tiempito) y "¿Quién está ahí?".
Jessica Meyers
Arthur C. Clarke is a genius! His books are wonderful. Slow moving at times, but his words are fascinatingly beautiful and quite poetic. The books I've read of his usually have aspects of humanity, psychology and religion. He writes about these topics brilliantly, and shares extremely similar thoughts as myself. Now I just need to master being able to write those thoughts as beautifully as he does! If I owned a time machine, this is the man I would travel to talk to.

"Think of such civilization
Ryan Bailey
This was a nice collection of old-school sci fi, as submitted to boys magazines in the 40s, 50s and 60s. I like Clarke's writing style.
There was a wide variety of stories here, all presenting some new interesting concept or viewpoint.
The last two may have been the best. First, a competitive solar sail race that reminded me of the Phantom Menace podrace scene in extreme slow motion (maneuvers take minutes or hours). Second, a solo dirigible journey through Jupiter's atmosphere that reminds me a
Michael Clemens
Clarke's stories survived their Golden Age origins by being focused more on the humans than the gee-whiz technology of the time. There's fwere hints of the casual sexism and anachronistic vacuum-tube computers here, and Clarke always tempered his writing with some hard science, or at least enough to be convincing. I've enjoyed his work in novel form, and these stories are equally enjoyable.

The edition I bought contains Lebbeus Woods' illustrations -- a majoy selling point for me. I know him thr
Damon
A healthy spread of intergalactic adventure from a hero of New Wave sci-fi. Clarke as an author has always appealed to me because of the optimistic tone to his writing, supported by his public zeal for space travel and contributions to space exploration technology. He is probably one of the few authors who can gloss over his lack of characterizations by carrying the story on the uniqueness of the situation. Like Carl Sagan he had a talent for spinning science to the masses without being pedantic ...more
Giacomo Boccardo
È una raccolta di racconti di fantascienza di Arthur C. Clarke, di cui "La sentinella" è il primo, il più noto e uno dei più corti. È famoso proprio perché è la fonte di ispirazione del celeberrimo film di Stanley Kubrick "2001: Odissea nello spazio". Considerando che è lungo 14 pagine, potrete immaginare che il film colga giusto l'idea di base e aggiunga giusto qualcosina.

L'influenza del film, purtroppo, si vede anche nella copertina del libro: nel racconto il manufatto alieno è una piramide tr
Frank
Recommended and borrowed from a great friend, but I wouldn't mind purchasing for the shelves. Though quite a few of these ideas have since been made into full blown (and not as interesting) stories by other authors, even movies, each story was a brilliant idea wrapped in captivating literature. Even the one story which I thought slow had an astonishing climatic reward.

I give this book 5 stars for two reasons, first and foremost, because of the writing literary style. The words flow off the page
Badri
A mixed bag of shorts. From the really excellent "A Meeting with Medusa", through the interesting "Breaking Strain" and "The wind from the Sun", the boring "Refugee", to the rather irritating "Jupiter V", there is a whole range here.

Unlike say Asimov, Clarke's science fiction actually has a good dose of science in it, usually, and that's why he's one of my favorite authors. This quality is amply evident in the "A meeting with Medusa" piece. It's a story of finding life forms on Jupiter. It has
Eric Althoff
Jun 14, 2007 Eric Althoff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other Sci-Fi Geeks
Arthur C. Clarke, the man responsible for the "monolith"-- that oblong, perfectly proportioned (1:4:9) black object found on the Moon in "2001"--goes back to the inspiration for that story, "The Sentinel," collected in an anthology of his early short fiction. Combing through his ouevre, the author collects together work from the 40s, 50s, 60s, as well as a story treatment for a screenplay, "The Songs of Distant Earth," which he submitted to his "2001" collaborator, Stanley Kubrick, who apparentl ...more
Strey
If you want a sci-fi "taster" then this could be the book for you! Not a genre I would normally choose to read. However, as an 'incomer' I found this anthology of short stories entertaining & often thought provoking. The 'intoduction' to each story by the author helped put them in context & showed a certain development in the writing style. That style remained comprehensible & engaging, introduced enough individual human interest & delivered the odd poignant moment, whilst being ...more
Ally Atherton
The Sentinel - Arthur C Clarke

This is a collection of short stories written between 1946 and 1979 by Arthur C Clarke.

I have only ever read one of his stories and that was a few years ago, he was also famous for his supernatural TV series of which I was an avid fan growing up.
These nine stories are of various lengths and are what I would describe as traditional old fashioned Sci-Fi. You haven't got all the flashy monsters and space battles typically found in Star Trek and Star Wars and later boo
James
If you want crisp, clean golden-age science fiction, well-written, scientifically sound yet with fully-fleshed characterisation, you can't go pasdt Clarke. Here are eight longish short stories and novellas, with the added bonus of a short plot outline. Some of the tales have been built up from short stories, others were later to become full-length novels - in each case, there is joy both in the story as presented and in seeing how it had or would develop. Gems from a master... ones which would a ...more
Jade Lauron
Book of short stories, so obviously some are better than others. None of them are terrible, but none in particular rocked my world either. The ebook format (reading on Kindle 2) was jumbled. First there would be a story name, then author's notes, then it went directly to the story without any kind of break. I learned to look for the words in all caps, those start the new stories.
Zach
It was interesting to see some of the stories that Clarke later fleshed out into longer work, and the stories have held up amazingly well considering that some of the space exploration ones were written long before we got into space.

However, despite interesting ideas and strong scientific underpinnings, the executions sometimes left me wanting a little bit more. The pithy last sentences or twist one-liners to end a story often felt a bit forced.

Overall, a good read by a classic sci-fi author.
Djuna
Jul 26, 2007 Djuna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi geeks only
This is a collection of short stories with intros by Clark. I would say try reading the second to last story (that was one of the best) , and if that one didn't grab your fancy, the rest aren't worth your time.

Complaints: Many of the stories seemed like 'aha' moments of plot ideas rather perfunctorily written up, rather than mulled over and expanded. It seems like nuance and non-scientific details were given no thought (oh yeah, and women, those peculiar creatures).

Not complaints: I felt some st
Sachahaworth
I've never read any Arthur C Clarke before, which is a bit odd for someone with an interest in science fiction, but there are many books in the world and I persistantly fail to prioritise.

This is a collection of short stories, all of which were written in the 1950s before Clarke started to write novels. As a result, they're all full of hope for the evolving space age: ideas about manned space flight, ancient civilisations on planets within our solar system. That the goal of our space industry h
Irl Newham
This collection of Clarke's short fiction is probably deserving of even a higher rating but short stories are just not my thing.
Swathi Prasanth
WARNING: As a *massive* Arthur C. Clarke fan, this review is going to be slightly biased. Apologies.

This collection of short stories reminded me of what initially drew me to his work - science and society, and how they affect each other. His brilliant, simplistic narrative style makes one (temporarily, at least)believe that what he describes is fact, not fiction. Definitely recommend it to all sci-fi fans.

I need to read more of his work!

Callum Cribbes
I really like Sci- Fi short stories so thoroughly enjoyed this book. In particular, Guardian Angel and Breaking Strain stood out for me but I did skip A Meeting with Medusa as I just couldn't get into it. Definitely going to read more Arthur C. Clarke now and watch 2001 again!
Daniel Harris
Takes 30 minutes to read. Well worth that time.
Wes
This is a great collection of short stories. Each one is prefaced with commentary by the author. This is a great addition to the stories. The stories themselves are thoroughly interesting and enveloping. There are stories from the 50's to the 80's to give a decent view of Clarke's science fiction that does not seem to change. Guardian Angel was quite a gripping tale. This one has stuck in my mind and gives repercussions to ponder.
Liam Kerrington
The collection of short stories is very nice and inspiring. Not much else to say about it. Maybe this:

Some of the stories are very close to what might be realistically possible, while others are very fictitious including Aliens or journeys into / close to Jupiter. And yet the consistency and solidity of the stories is outright well done. I did not expect this, which I is why I am the more glad that I have read this title.
Jonathan
This collection of short stories written from the 1940s through the 1970s offers an interesting history of science fiction. Clarke is one of the old school, with scientific training and an interest in the adventure of space travel. I don’t love Clarke, so I wouldn’t recommend the whole collection, but a few stories, most notably “A Meeting with Medusa,” are worth reading.
Steven
The Sentinel is a brilliant, thought-provoking short story of an ancient race of space travelers, erecting beacons on neighboring planetoids to wherever they found life, in the hope that one day this life would develop space traveling intelligence and trigger the beacon. It was the precursor to 2001, A Space Odyssey.
Daniel Cunningham
A good collection of short stories, but the 'commentary' included is incredibly brief; if you've read these stories elsewhere, or own these in another collection, you'll find nothing new here.

The stories themselves, of course, are classic Clarke and well worth reading, here or anywhere else.
Stefano
Per la prima volta ho davvero apprezzato un libro di racconti. Fantascienza cos� reale e verosimile da sembrare cronaca! Certe immagini, come quella della gara tra vele solari, mi rimarranno a lungo impresse nella memoria. Nella forse infantile speranza che possano presto diventare realt�.
Blair
This was the original short story that got expanded into 2001: A Space Odyssey (which was mostly written as a novel and screenplay at the same time)... I wrote my masters thesis on that film, so for the sake of all our brains I'm going to just stop here. Any questions welcome, though.
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
  • Last and First Men
  • Destination: Universe!
  • The Road to Science Fiction 3: From Heinlein to Here (The Road to Science Fiction, #3)
  • The Coming of the Quantum Cats
  • Non-Stop
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Country of the Blind and Other Science-Fiction Stories
  • The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise