In the Belly of an Ox: The Unexpected Photographic Adventures of Richard and Cherry Kearton

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Raised in the moorlands of Yorkshire, Richard and Cherry Kearton developed a boyhood fascination with nature that fostered their great desire to photograph it. Together the brothers invented ingenious camouflage "hides" (including one inside the belly of an ox) in order to get closer to their subjects of birds. After three years, the brothers published the first natural hi...more
Published November 16th 2009 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Miriam

Bond's casual, sketchy style of illustration is completely wrong for a story about black and white close-up nature photography. But other than that, no complaints. It is a fascinating story, and one probably not well-known, and well-told.

The Kearton's were brothers, self-taught photographers, who in their spare time devised all sort of cunning disguises and hiding places so they could get near bird nests without disturbing them. Their photography was ground-breaking and also widely influenced pu...more
Lisa Vegan
Jul 29, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: bird lovers; budding naturalists; nonconformists; nature photographers; everybody
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This author-illustrator did an outstanding job with this book.

The pictures are gorgeous, and informative too. There are real photos taken by the Kearton brothers at the end of the book, and notes about what they did with their later lives, and a quote each by them. I love Cherry’s quote about himself so much that I’m quoting the crux of it: “There are some people…who are represented by pegs of such irregular shape that neither a square hole nor a round one will ever accommodate itself to them. F...more
Vicki Kier
Breathtaking in every sense, inspiring prose and soft, predominately blue-brown watercolor illustrations combine to faithfully tell the story of brothers Richard and Cherry Kearton, creators of the first-ever nature book to be exclusively illustrated with photographs. In the Belly of an Ox highlights some of the ingenious techniques and elaborate "hides" the brothers devised to capture images of eggs, birds and nests in their natural surroundings. Author/illustrator Rebecca Bond's intermittent u...more
Renee Bush
What a stunning book this is! Yes, as another reviewer put it, the cover does draw the reader into the book, and it just keeps getting better from there! This book is suitable for mid-to-upper elementary, and really, for any child who feels he may be a "square peg"--and please see Cherry Kearton's comment on that, at the end of the book! Rebecca Bond did a fantastic job on the story, making it informative and interesting, and her illustrations are amazing. My wish is that every "square peg" out...more
Valerie Midkiff
The story of the Kearton brothers who published the first book of nature photos called British Birds' Nests in 1895. They grew up the countryside of Yorkshire in England. They moved as young men to London to work in a publishing house. On weekends, they would return to the countryside and photograph everything especially the birds. That turned into a photography career!
paula
Richard and Cherry Kearton - brothers, cap-wearers, English guys - loved the outdoors, and they loved taking pictures. They published the very first natural history book illustrated with photographs instead of drawings. How can I put this without sounding boring?

Their work democratized the study of nature in England and abroad. Ok that does sound boring. But it's not.

I get ramped up on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/200...
Michele Maitland
"There are some people -- and I myself am one of them -- who are represented by pegs of such irregular shape that neither a square hole nor a round one will ever accomodate itself to them. For such people life can carry little happiness except except in the rare instances when they are able to carve out an entirely new-shaped hole, never before thought of, but exactly fitting their peculiarities. Fortunately for myself, I was able to do that." Cherry Kearton (1871-1940)
Ricardo Guerreiro
Short illustrated (hi)story of the Kearton brothers, their ingenious ways to photograph animals in a time where technology was very limited and their work came to inspire people to appreciate and conserve nature. I felt the simple text captions and the nice watercolours, enjoyable and didactic for both the adult and the child. Ends up with a nice set of photographs, of the Kearton's themselves at work in the field and some of their accomplishments.
Jess Brown
I'd never heard of Richard and Cherry Kearton, eager British photographers who started a new age in natural science by photographing nature without disturbing it. They were known to go to extreme lengths to obtain these photographs, including hiding in an old ox skin stretched on a frame in order to allow nature to unfold. The book is interesting and well-illustrated. Best for an older elementary audience.
Benjamin Kelien
This book started slow for me. It told the story of two brothers that took it upon themselves to create the first birdwatching media guide. They did this by countless hours of concealing themselves in different places. Overall this book was good but I thought it was better if the student may be interested in photography. The grades I would recommend this for are 4th and 5th grade.
Nicole
May 17, 2010 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: librarians the world over
You had me at the 6 panel, 2 page spread.

This book is a package deal. Everything is united in the design- plot, illustration, color scheme... Very polished, very well-done.

It's just understated enough to miss the awards buzz, but a higher quality book (both in writing and word-text integration) would be hard to find.
Anita
Lovely book for older children about the Yorkshire brothers who came up with clever ways to disguise themselves so they could photograph nesting birds.
Bradley
Boring. Pictures of birds? Coale was still thrilled with train book.
Mary
Feb 14, 2010 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Two brothers come up with unique ways to photograph birds.
Marge
Apr 11, 2010 Marge added it
Shelves: non-fiction
photographic adventure
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Redlemon
Redlemon marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Necia
Necia added it
Jun 27, 2013
Marcia
Marcia added it
May 10, 2013
Gundula
Gundula marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2011
The Great Doughnut Parade This Place in the Snow Bravo, Maurice! When Marcus Moore Moved In Just Like a Baby