Start by marking “In the Belly of an Ox: The Unexpected Photographic Adventures of Richard and Cherry Kearton” as Want to Read:

Raised in the moorlands of Yorkshire, Richard and Cherry Kearton developed a boyhood fascination with nature that fostered their great desire to photograph it. Together the brothers invented ingenious camouflage "hides" (including one inside the belly of an ox) in order to get closer to their subjects of birds. After three years, the brothers published the first natural hi ...more
Published November 16th 2009 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about In the Belly of an Ox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Belly of an Ox

Miriam
Oct 07, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, photography

Bond's casual, sketchy style of illustration is completely wrong for a story about black and white close-up nature photography. But other than that, no complaints. It is a fascinating story, and one probably not well-known, and well-told.

The Kearton's were brothers, self-taught photographers, who in their spare time devised all sort of cunning disguises and hiding places so they could get near bird nests without disturbing them. Their photography was ground-breaking and also widely influenced pu
Lisa Vegan
Jul 29, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bird lovers; budding naturalists; nonconformists; nature photographers; everybody
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This author-illustrator did an outstanding job with this book.

The pictures are gorgeous, and informative too. There are real photos taken by the Kearton brothers at the end of the book, and notes about what they did with their later lives, and a quote each by them. I love Cherry’s quote about himself so much that I’m quoting the crux of it: “There are some people…who are represented by pegs of such irregular shape that neither a square hole nor a round one will ever accommodate itself to them. F
Vicki Kier
Jul 09, 2011 Vicki Kier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-child
Breathtaking in every sense, inspiring prose and soft, predominately blue-brown watercolor illustrations combine to faithfully tell the story of brothers Richard and Cherry Kearton, creators of the first-ever nature book to be exclusively illustrated with photographs. In the Belly of an Ox highlights some of the ingenious techniques and elaborate "hides" the brothers devised to capture images of eggs, birds and nests in their natural surroundings. Author/illustrator Rebecca Bond's intermittent u ...more
Renee Wallace
Mar 30, 2010 Renee Wallace rated it it was amazing
What a stunning book this is! Yes, as another reviewer put it, the cover does draw the reader into the book, and it just keeps getting better from there! This book is suitable for mid-to-upper elementary, and really, for any child who feels he may be a "square peg"--and please see Cherry Kearton's comment on that, at the end of the book! Rebecca Bond did a fantastic job on the story, making it informative and interesting, and her illustrations are amazing. My wish is that every "square peg" out ...more
Camille Tesch
Sep 24, 2016 Camille Tesch marked it as to-read
England ages 4-6
Shayla
Jun 23, 2015 Shayla rated it really liked it
This book is about two brothers growing up and doing what they want to do for a career together. They decide to build hide outs and photograph birds, and their nests. The create the first bird nature book in Britain.
I loved this book! It shared some of Britain's history in a clever way. The pictures were a little blurry, but they were effective in telling this story because the reader didn't really know what these brothers were really doing until the very end of the book.
I would use this book t
paula
Richard and Cherry Kearton - brothers, cap-wearers, English guys - loved the outdoors, and they loved taking pictures. They published the very first natural history book illustrated with photographs instead of drawings. How can I put this without sounding boring?

Their work democratized the study of nature in England and abroad. Ok that does sound boring. But it's not.

I get ramped up on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/200...
Ricardo Guerreiro
May 18, 2011 Ricardo Guerreiro rated it really liked it
Short illustrated (hi)story of the Kearton brothers, their ingenious ways to photograph animals in a time where technology was very limited and their work came to inspire people to appreciate and conserve nature. I felt the simple text captions and the nice watercolours, enjoyable and didactic for both the adult and the child. Ends up with a nice set of photographs, of the Kearton's themselves at work in the field and some of their accomplishments.
Jess Brown
I'd never heard of Richard and Cherry Kearton, eager British photographers who started a new age in natural science by photographing nature without disturbing it. They were known to go to extreme lengths to obtain these photographs, including hiding in an old ox skin stretched on a frame in order to allow nature to unfold. The book is interesting and well-illustrated. Best for an older elementary audience.
Salsabrarian
The story of two English brothers who combined photography and their love of nature to create the first nature book ever. This picture book relates their story in a kid-friendly way: readers will be intrigued by the brothers' various camoflage tricks and all the work they put into their project. Delightfully, the book closes with the actual photos, a nice and informed feature after getting to know their story.
Michele Maitland
May 13, 2013 Michele Maitland rated it really liked it
"There are some people -- and I myself am one of them -- who are represented by pegs of such irregular shape that neither a square hole nor a round one will ever accomodate itself to them. For such people life can carry little happiness except except in the rare instances when they are able to carve out an entirely new-shaped hole, never before thought of, but exactly fitting their peculiarities. Fortunately for myself, I was able to do that." Cherry Kearton (1871-1940)
Benjamin Kelien
This book started slow for me. It told the story of two brothers that took it upon themselves to create the first birdwatching media guide. They did this by countless hours of concealing themselves in different places. Overall this book was good but I thought it was better if the student may be interested in photography. The grades I would recommend this for are 4th and 5th grade.
Valerie Midkiff
The story of the Kearton brothers who published the first book of nature photos called British Birds' Nests in 1895. They grew up the countryside of Yorkshire in England. They moved as young men to London to work in a publishing house. On weekends, they would return to the countryside and photograph everything especially the birds. That turned into a photography career!
Nicole
May 17, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians the world over
You had me at the 6 panel, 2 page spread.

This book is a package deal. Everything is united in the design- plot, illustration, color scheme... Very polished, very well-done.

It's just understated enough to miss the awards buzz, but a higher quality book (both in writing and word-text integration) would be hard to find.
Michael Fitzgerald
Mar 30, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Interesting story of two figures hitherto unknown to me. A serendipitous check-out partner to The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
Anita
May 16, 2013 Anita rated it really liked it
Lovely book for older children about the Yorkshire brothers who came up with clever ways to disguise themselves so they could photograph nesting birds.
Mary Librarian
Feb 14, 2010 Mary Librarian rated it liked it
Two brothers come up with unique ways to photograph birds.
Fuchsia Rascal
Fuchsia Rascal rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Samantha Hastings
Samantha Hastings rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
May 13, 2010
Astrid
Astrid rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Amy Steiner
Amy Steiner rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Kim Barth
Kim Barth rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Cathy Ballou Mealey
Cathy Ballou Mealey rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
Tammy Flanders
Tammy Flanders rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2011
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2016