Start by marking “Kill and Tell” as Want to Read:
Kill and Tell

Kill and Tell (CIA's Spies #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  8,549 ratings  ·  253 reviews
Still reeling from her mother's recent death, Karen Shitlaw is stunned when she receives a package containing a mysterious notebook from her estranged father, who she has barely seen since his return from the Vietnam War decades ago. Then, a shocking phone call: Karen's father has been murdered on the gritty streets of New Orleans.
For homicide detective Marc Chastain, some
Published August 1st 2005 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Kill and Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill and Tell

Dina
I'm a big fan of LH's earlier romantic suspense novels, but her latest releases have failed to catch my interest. Kill and Tell is one of her oldies and, IMHO, a very good one.

The story starts with Dexter Whitlaw, a Vietnam veteran, sending a "mysterious" package to his estranged wife. Unbeknown to him, she died a few weeks ago and it's their daughter, Karen, who receives the package. Still grieving for her mother's death and resentfull of her father, who left them when she was only a teenager t
Amy (Foxy)
**2.5 stars**

Karen is surprised by a package that arrives at her house from her estranged father. Karen is still mourning her mother’s death when she is informed her father has been murdered. Her father's murder wants her dead. All her friends are also in danger because of their association with her.

Detective Chastain is intrigued by the murder of a homeless man which happens to be Karen’s father. He takes it upon himself to protect Karen.

The chemistry between Karen and Marc Chastain was just o
Lady Heather

"Dance with me," he said softly, standing up and holding out his hand to her. She stood and went silently into his arms. She closed her eyes, and her head found her personal resting place on his shoulder. There couldn't be anything more perfect, she thought, than slow dancing, barefoot, on a balcony in New Orleans, while the rain poured down and twilight wrapped around them.

Photobucket

This was the part of the book that had me hooked, and I couldn't put it down until the mystery solved (which just happe
Oana

She punched the play button and listened to the tape rewinding. After some whirring and a couple of clicks, a drawling baritone voice broke the quiet of the room. For some reason, her breath gave a little hitch. The voice was somehow beguiling, with warm, dark, pure masculine tones that quivered along her nerve endings, almost as if she had been touched.

This, ladies and gentlemen, this is the sound of instalove.

But this book isn't only about that, it is about instalust, instasex, ins
MelissaB
Great romantic suspense set in New Orleans and Ohio. I loved the scenes in New Orleans, I almost felt like I was in the French Quarter siting on the balcony with Mark and Karen. I love how LH described Mark and his southern gentleman characteristics. The scene where he seduces Karen with some wine and dancing on a steamy New Orleans night was so hot! I highly recommend this book!
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover ❤️ & KA Addict
 photo 5ae020b0bd3ce802ee52bdb758d240be_zpsvpc0wnc6.jpg

Rereading 5/24/15
I'm in the mood for a Linda Howard book, rereading a favorite.

I knew I loved this book but I'd forgotten how much I loved it!! Marc Chastain is a New Orleans Detective investigating the murder of what appears to be a homeless man. Soon he learns the man's identity as Dexter Whitlaw a Vietnam veteran. Marc is a compassionate man who decides to look further into the veteran's death and track down his next of kin.

Karen Whitlaw is an ER Nurse who is still mourning the death of he
Linda
Let me just say that Linda Howard knows how to tease the reader before pulling her/him in. KILL AND TELL begins, with what appears to be, a demented veteran bent on killing someone. Instead, he is killed.

Dexter Whitlaw was at one time a young husband and father. Then he joined the Vietnam war and became a sniper; he was good at it, but something happened. Years passed and his wife remained faithful but Dexter rarely returned home. When he does he is not the same man.

Karen Whitlaw, a nurse, had b
Jacob Proffitt
What a fantastic read! I couldn't resist picking this up when I saw that it was set (at least partially) in New Orleans. I couldn't put it down when I found that the hero was a completely yummy creole cop with all his protective alpha instincts filtered through that gorgeous Southern charm and generosity. Wow. Really, that should be all that needs be said. Seriously, Marc is beyond hot and well worth the book by himself.

If that's not enough, then add a heroine you'd love to be friends with who n
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 stars, maybe because it read a bit outdated I didn't quite get into all of the book. Loved the H/h's chemistry, but the romance felt rushed. The suspense story was solid and interesting. The ending was a bit over the top though and included a major pet peeve of mine (view spoiler) ...more
Kathleen
I do love Linda Howard. This romantic suspense gets going strong in the second half. Maybe 4 stars. Erotica. Hot steamy read, in Audible, narrated superbly by Natalie Ross. This book is set in New Orleans and Columbus, Ohio. It is the first of a series, but the books are only loosely connected.

Detective Mark Chastain is some kind of heart-throb, huh? Gotta love a Howard hero: protective, passionate, smart, and sweet.

On the down side, there is too much time spent in introspection (my pet peeve,
Nadia
DNF at 49%.

I still love Linda Howard, but this book and I were not meant to be. I don't like the story, the heroine, the hero or the villain(s). I went through the same torture with LH's Dream Man and don't care doing it again.

The same amount of pages is devoted to some random characters that have nothing to contribute to the story, as it is to the main characters. And Marc. Ugh. At first he's such a judgmental SoB and after he notices how Karen tightly holds her hands, he decides she needs som
Collette
Aug 15, 2008 Collette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic suspense
This is the first in a trilogy featuring John Medina (ultimate spy). He doesn't have much play time in this book though as it's centered around yummy Marc, a cop from New Orleans and the withdrawn Karen, nurse from Ohio. Her estranged father winds up murdered in New Orleans and since he was ex-military Marc wants to help Karen find out what happened and also to help her get over her self-protection mode. It gets a bit steamy in places and they do seem to spend a lot of quality bed-time getting t ...more
Norma
Great story, great writing. LH on top of her game. At times the descriptions of how wonderful Marc is and how wonderful he treats all women got to me. Really Marc, you're just a man. You may be a good one, but you are just human. Stop thinking how wonderful you are and just show me. Oh, and wearing a condom while you are dancing on a balcony is NOT WONDERFUL! It's creepy! Not sure I'll ever get passed that. :)

All in all, this is a great read. Marc and Karen are both great characters. I love that
Carrie
3* for story (B-/C+)
4.5* for narration by Natalie Ross (A)

The story was somewhat weak to me. It was too confusing and took too long to get off the ground. Thankfully, the second half of the book was faster-paced and more interesting than the first part.

I liked several of the secondary characters as much or more than the main characters. Marc and Karen were way too caught up in what happened before and spent too much time in their own heads, especially in the first part of the book. Overall it wa
Diana
I've read a lot of erotic romance and erotica in the ten years since I first turned into a puddle of goo while reading the seduction scene in Kill and Tell. I still haven't read anything sexier. What could be more erotic than slow dancing barefoot on a balcony on a rainy night in New Orleans with a hot cajun detective focused on getting you into his bed? Nothing, I tell you. The dreamy scene, told without graphic and clinical detail, as seen through the eyes of the thoroughly seduced heroine is ...more
Gina
An excellent ‘why are people trying to kill me’ mystery.

I understood how Karen Whitlaw was feeling. While never been in a situation like that, it was close. To lose someone so close to you so quickly, then to lose someone who is supposed to be close to you soon afterwards would have anyone feeling as she felt. A brave woman, she uses her head, her instincts, and her fight for survival to get herself out of whatever situation she finds herself in.

Marc Chastain is one hell of a detective. It’s ver
Samantha
Kath
The best part about this audiobook was the narrator. I usually love Ms. Howards work, but this one was way below most of her others.

While I enjoyed the characters main characters, the story seemed a little too rushed and it lackec the excitement of some of her other mysteries. The dialog between the "bad guys" was uninteresting and didn't have you asking why about anything other than what they were after.

The romance between the two main characters was alright, but the book was very slow to star
Arch
I will not say much. I didn't really care for this book. I wanted to read the book, because it's the first book that John Medina was mentioned in. The first book that I have read by Linda Howard was All The Queen's Men and I have fallen in love with John Medina. He stood out in that book. He's not in this book a lot. The hero in this book is a New Orlean's cop name Marc and the heroine in this book is Karen.

Karen is a murder target. There are people after her, because they feel she has somethin
Jane Stewart
Another excellent romantic suspense novel. It was a good thriller, interesting characters, good relationships, good plot and action.

Definitely worth reading. Dexter was a Vietnam Vet who abandoned his wife and daughter after that war. He was killed. His daughter, Karen, went to New Orleans to identify and bury him. She met Marc, a detective and a romance began. The killer then started going after Karen. John Medina has a small but important part in this book. He is the main character in the next
Christine
Mmmmm....This is such a great read -- Linda Howard at her best. Primarily set in New Orleans, you can practically feel the heat and humidity, and I'm not just talking about the weather! Marc Chastain is a police detective who is investigating a seemingly random street killing when he meets the victim's daughter, Karen.

The writing is just amazing; the characters are vivid, and the plot moves quickly as we learn of a high-level plot to cover up the crime.

This is also the first time we are introd
Mareli
You know I spend an incredible amount of time reading other people's reviews. That's because I really want to enjoy my time reading and so I read a lot of reviews before starting a book (besides I love reading reviews, there some amazing people on this site!).

So, to say that I learned a new word this morning: book-rut! It has something to do with the feeling of dread when you open and discard one book and then one other and then... you have to find something good to relieve that bad taste.

So, Li
LaFleurBleue
Good suspense, very well blended with the romance.
Karen was an interesting heroine, somewhat girl next door, a friend I'd like to have.
And Marc was definitely a great hero, way less macho man than the usual Linda Howard hero, able to cook, to clean, to dress, to dance, to romance, to recognize his feelings. Very close to the ideal man.
Susan (the other Susan)
First half is great: Linda Howard as she was at her best, effectively building suspense and writing a hot sex scene for h/h. Second half disappoints, with too-fast pacing, unbelievable declarations of love between a couple who barely know each other, and a Keystone Cops-worthy climatic shoot-out. Oh, well.
seton
Note to self: this is the one with the linty condom.
Lyndi
I'm giving it 3.5 stars. This book should have been like, 100 pages shorter. There was just sooo much thinking... and thinking... and worrying... and more thinking. When it wasn't Karen sitting by herself thinking, I was loving the book. I liked the characters, the romance, the sex, the plot, etc. But there were literally pages of "Karen mulls over her dilema" and I found myself skimming. Basically reading the first and last sentences of a paragraph and since everything made sense, I don't think ...more
Xenos
Ho. Ly. Crap. What a freakin' awesome, riveting, romantic, suspenseful, finely tuned tale of murder, revenge and power! Sheez Louise! "Kill And Tell" by Linda Howard was teased at the end of one of the books I had read and it sounded kind of intriguing so I put it on my list of books I'd eventually like to read. Thank goodness it was at the right library at the right time or it'd still be on that very long list. (I'll chalk it up to kismet.)

So anyway...Karen Whitlaw receives a package addressed
Janet
Four and 1/2 stars--it would be five except I thought the ending was a little Keystone Kops.

Can't imagine that I haven't read this already but fortunately, nope. The New Orleans setting was perfect, absolutely part of the plot. Heroine Karen was classic Howard, a lot more capable than she might appear. As for hero Marc, well he's sultry, blown-away by Karen, intuitive, intelligent...I could keep going.

First of the CIA Spies, can't wait to read John Medina's story.
Iraida
Siempre me gusta leer a Linda Howard porque sabe cómo crear suspense y, más importante, sabe escribir. Estoy acostumbrada a que sus historias se tomen un poco más de tiempo, sean más pausadas. Pero en esta la historia entre Karen y Marc parece ser inexistente, por lo poco que dura. Es un amor a primera vista LITERAL.
Por eso no me ha gustado tanto como otros de L.H., aunque he disfrutado leyendo el libro por la trama policial. Además, me he quedado con las ganas de saber qué ocurre con John Medi
recomendations for romantic suspense 5 39 Jan 12, 2015 04:01AM
Marc Chastain vs. John Medina 12 56 Aug 25, 2011 07:23PM
  • Shadow Dance
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Extreme Danger (McClouds & Friends #5)
  • Moving Target (Rarities Unlimited, #1)
  • Kill Me Twice (Bullet Catcher, #1)
  • Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)
  • Thread of Fear (The Glass Sisters, #1)
  • Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3)
  • Bodyguard
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...

CIA's Spies (3 books)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
Mr. Perfect After the Night Open Season Dream Man Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)

“Death isn't peaceful; it is just nothing. Everything is gone. No more sunrises, no more hopes, no more fears. Nothing.” 35 likes
“He supposed he knew, rationally, that she wasn't the prettiest woman in the world, but if his eyes saw any imperfections, his heart didn't care.” 8 likes