Start by marking “Un très gros mensonge” as Want to Read:
Un très gros mensonge

Un très gros mensonge (Jane Taylor #1)

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,172 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Imaginez une jeune femme, en pleine possession de ses facultés mentales, qui décide de faire un gros mensonge, histoire d'être un tout petit peu aimée... Imaginez ensuite que, dans un moment d'égarement total, cette même jeune femme annonce à la Terre entière qu'elle est... enceinte ! C'est là que les ennuis commencent réellement pour Jane : les collègues aux questions gên ...more
Red Dress Ink, 315 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by Harlequin (first published November 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Un très gros mensonge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un très gros mensonge

Kim
I really think I need to give up reading books by this author. Or at least with the same main character. Hard to get into, didn't keep my attention. Not to mention, the main character was so obnoxiously self-centered and completely delusional I just wanted to throw the book out the window. Or set it on fire.
Heather
I am not even sure where to start in reviewing this book. To say it was bad would be inaccurate; however, painstakingly horrendous, might be more on target.

I hate to sound cold and unwilling to try, but that would be wrong. I wanted to like this book; in fact I thought I would so I already own the sequel and am now debating what to do about that.

However, on to this book. The main character Jane was a whiner, completely psychotic, and self-absorbed. No other character in the book is worth mention
Lindsey
I don't even know where to start with this review! This book was outrageous, the main character a complete crazy woman. Jane Taylor drove me NUTS at times with her crazy scheme and outlandish ideas, but somehow I couldn't seem to put the book down - I had to see how it ended.

I sympathized with her at some points throughout, but still can't imagine anyone actually going through with this asinine plan of hers. I had checked this book and the sequel out from the library at the same time, and with
Dena
I really wanted this book to be good, but I really just couldn't connect with the main character. I thought she was selfish and flat and weak, and to tell the truth, I am really sick of this type of female character in literature. Aside from that, the plot was just not interesting enough to keep me interested. This one is definately a "skip".
Connie Fischer
Jane Taylor is single, 29, working as an editor for Churchill & Stewart publishers in the UK. She and Trevor have been living together for some time and enjoying great sex. When her regular cycle is a couple of weeks late, she's convinced she's pregnant and is so thrilled she picks up a pregnancy test. When it shows she isn't pregnant, she buys another one and draws a thin pink line on the test window with a magic marker. After telling everyone she is pregnant, she finds she truly isn't. So, ...more
Amy
What a hysterical read! Seriously folks you will be laughing your ass off! Not one page was I not laughing! I love Lauren Baratz-Logsted's humor! I couldn't put it down bc it was so hysterical and I wanted to know what happens next, and what will happen next! Never in your wildest dreams could I pull off what the main character pulls off! I'm very much looking forward to reading more of Lauren's books.
Erika
I'm very glad this was a free book. It was not what I expected at all (with the pregnancy really being a farce) and all the typos throughout the book were such a huge distraction. The main character just annoyed me with how self-centered she was. I was glad to finish it, but was really disappointed in the open ending as well. At least finish your book before putting it out - people like closure.
Janet Pawelek
I'm sorry, but I can't even give this book one star. Jane Taylor is a self-centered, whiny bitch. Not to mention delusional and sick. And the book doesn't even really address this. She is an almost-thirty, single woman who wants to be pregnant. Does she go about it in the conventional way? No. She fakes it. Amazing to think that a thirty-year-old woman would do this and think that it's okay.
Not only was this the worst book I have ever read, but I actually got it on my Kindle, and there were ton
Tiffany
I finally gave up trying to read this about 3/4 through. Life's too short to spend trying to get through a book that just isn't any good. The protagonist was awful and there were countless spelling mistakes throughout. What could have been a great story just wasn't, unfortunately.
Danielle Barnsley-Cervo
The main character fakes a pregnancy, and I found myself thinking, "What in the bloody hell are you doing!?". Despite that, there are some funnier parts, and it wasn't a terrible read. I just didn't love it, but I loved it enough to get the sequel...
Allison
I've never heard or hated a self indulgent whiner as a main character before as much as this one. Interesting thought for a book, but really! I hate how the book ends-possibly the worst ending ever! Made me hate her that much more!
Sheena

This is one of the few red dress ink books I didn't like! I don't usually give up on books and had to will myself to finsh this. I did skip a couple pages here and there. Just not a good book
Amanda
I guess the story was okay, but the main character was completely self-absorbed without a thought or care about how her behavior would impact anyone else. I wouldn't have wanted to marry her either.
Lindsay
The opening line promised a great, snarky, cynical chick lit, full if laughter and wit... But then, well, it was like being caught in a tornado with random bits of humor, senselessness, infuriating characters, unsubstantiated plot lines, and treachery. Since I am no Dorothy, I did not even come out well in the end. After all of the main characters delusions and lies, she comes across a convenient package on the doorstep, and that fool ex boyfriend of hers is so taken he will probably go along wi ...more
Kelly Vandergrift
I could not even finish this book. It was just bad. Main character very difficult to identify with. I gave up after 75 pages, just not worth the time.
bkjunkie
May 27, 2012 bkjunkie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Quick Beach Read
Shelves: kindle-shelf
This is a smart, unusual plot. There are some typos in the middle (almost like lazy editing). The story is funny and the scene where Jane and her mother are at lunch discussing baby names is laugh out loud funny and I had tears running down my face when reading it. There are many funny scenes in this unique pregos story. If you have ever been pregnant you will relate to all the the things in What To Expect When You're Expecting that scare you to death in a very informative way. I have been marri ...more
Jonita
Jane Taylor is pregnant. Or at least she thinks she is. A couple of days late, she can't help but share the great news- with her best friend David, with random strangers, and with her unable-to-commit boyfriend, Trevor. Suddenly obsessed with pregnancy, Jane gets a glimpse into how the other half lives. Men hold open doors for pregnant women, they have a certain glow, and she can't wait to be a visible part of that community. When Jane finds out a couple of weeks later that she is most certainly ...more
Laurie
Lesley
I spent this entire book holding my breath, dreading the inevitable awkward reveal, but along the way found myself appreciating the author's candor in approaching a protagonist who by all accounts is thoroughly unlikeable - and yet, that kind of endeared her to me. I appreciated the inclusion of references to various chick-lit cliches. Better than expected, but didn't exactly keep me hooked.
Kaethe
Like many aspiring and actual parents, Jane discovers that there are some perks to pregnancy. And once she can rule out all the concerns and difficulties of really being pregnant, it's even better. The author has created a character many can identify with: a woman who's doing okay professionally, but whose personal life leaves a great deal to be desired. What Jane learns during the next nine months, like Will Lightman in Nick Hornby's About A Boy, is that parenthood changes you, even when you're ...more
Mk
I shouldn't have even started this book based on the reviews here but for some reason I did. I can see now why it was free on Amazon.

The main character wasn't likeable at all and the fact that she lied the whole time with very little remorse was aggravating. I also didn't like how the story ended with a cliff hanger.

Bottom line: don't waste your time or Kindle space on this one.
Justine
ok..obviously the main character is CRAZY..i mean who fakes a pregnancy! i assume the author meant to create this self absorbed woman..who you'll either love or hate. there were some funny moments in the book....but overall..if i hadn't gotten it for free, id be upset id spent money on it.
Leticia
38% in and I'm officially done with this book. I can tolerate a lot of crap in books, but I can tolerate this no more. Faking a pregnancy, and a character faking a pregnancy and then considering making MONEY off it, is certainly not funny and not fodder for an author to write a "funny" novel about. Those who think it is funny obviously have never lost a pregnancy or a child before. Sorry, I can't finish this one, and certainly can't give it any higher of a rating than the one star.
Alexandra Pavaloiu
Interesting book. Started thinking its a ridiculous premise and found the heroine quite deluded, but the writing itself is charming- therefore I'm currently reading the second one. Nice read to disconnect, which I need these days.
Shelly
BLECHHH!!! Another one I paid for! Had an interesting premise, really liked another of this author's works, was ready for a light fun read and instead all I got was BLEEECHHH!!! Don't waste your time or money!
Rosemary
The book was great until the end. Ending was like being stuck at the top of the roller coaster. No resolution, just left the reading hanging. One of the worst endings I've ever read.
Cynthia Cirrincione
I actually loved this book & bought the next one. Zany characters that made me laugh out loud. Very Janet Evanovich/Sophia Kinsella-ish. (That's high praise, in my book!)
Micki Drake
I hated most of it, but starting at the 9th month I got into it, just enough where now I need to read the 2nd one. Wouldn't recommend the book though.
Jo
2.5 stars. Even after finishing the book I still don't know what I think about the story or the writing. It is the most bizarre book I think I have read.
Book Promotions: Chicklit Romance 99 Cents 1 1 May 29, 2014 10:50PM
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The Baby Trail
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Single White E-Mail
  • The Go-To Girl
  • The Book of Jane
  • Woman To Woman
  • The Journal of Mortifying Moments
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a
More about Lauren Baratz-Logsted...

Jane Taylor (2 books)
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
The Twin's Daughter Crazy Beautiful The Education of Bet Annie's Adventures (Sisters Eight, #1) How Nancy Drew Saved My Life