Start by marking “Algerian White” as Want to Read:
Algerian White

Algerian White

In Algerian White, Assia Djebar weaves a tapestry of the epic and bloody ongoing struggle in her country between Islamic fundamentalism and the post-colonial civil society. Many Algerian writers and intellectuals have died tragically and violently since the 1956 struggle for independence. They include three beloved friends of Djebar: Mahfoud Boucebi, a psychiatrist; M'Hame ...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Seven Stories Press (first published 1995)

Amina
Jul 04, 2015 Amina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book ! Exactly what Algeria needs, people that simply talk about what happened based on their own experiences. I really appreciated the fact that the writer came back to the years before the independence, because it is related, the Algerian history post independence finds its roots many years ago...
Andrea
Jul 30, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
This was beautiful.

A meditation on death and loss, lives taken in the struggle for freedom against the colonial power, against fundamentalism. A meditation on writing and all of its risks, language and all of its meanings, Algeria and all of its tragic complications.

Love and loss, hope and despair.

A travel through memories, like this one:
I took off for Kader's Oran, the city and its deepest depths, which he had sketched out for me... we drove around the town, splattered with cries and laughter,
Dylan Benito
Mar 16, 2017 Dylan Benito rated it really liked it
This was a sweet, sad, poetic book. I want to read it again out loud.
Dirk
Mar 15, 2017 Dirk rated it did not like it
I loved the premise, but I could not handle the disjointed accretion of clauses and parentheticals, which produced such an arrhythmic flow of words that I stopped 30 pages into the book.
Kate Throp
Feb 12, 2017 Kate Throp rated it it was ok
I found this very heavy going. Her style of writing did not make for an easy read - particularly the first 50 or so pages which were a sort of stream of consciousness. A very sad litany of deaths and so personally written but I found it very difficult to follow the who and why of it all. I guess it was just not quite what I was expecting.
Rob Prince
Mar 18, 2011 Rob Prince rated it it was amazing
Having re-read this book and many others on Algeria, I have had my misgivings for giving it such a strong recommendation earlier. The problem with the book is not so much that the horror described - the assassinations of so many Algerian intellectuals and democrats - is not accurate. What is missing is any sense of who was behind these killings. The impression given in the book is that all this was the work of crazed Islamic fundamentalists...over the past decade however, it has become clearer t ...more
Nora
May 26, 2007 Nora rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lit students, north africa buffs, anthropologists, poets, people living in-between languages
Shelves: algeria
Djebar's musings on the consequences of war in Algeria - friends lost, ideals shattered - are beautiful and tragic and magnificently expressed. She has powerful insights on love and language; I cried reading them.
Mounia
May 17, 2007 Mounia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very hard for me to read this book. I was in Algiers during the events taking place in the book/Algiers.
It brought back a lot of memories as well as enlightened me on many events behind the scenes that the regular citizens didn't know about..
Sara Salem
Jun 05, 2015 Sara Salem rated it it was amazing
Haunting book about Algeria post-independence. I couldn't help compare it to Fanon's writing about Algeria pre-independence and how the traumatic battles continued but in new forms. I love Djebar's writing style and always find her work beautiful to read.
منى كريم
A very important book on algeria between the revolution and the civil war. Beautifully and painfully written. Greatly informative. Djebar in general is a must-read if you are interested in Berber culture, feminism, and Algerian studies. Am working on reading all her works. She is a filmmaker too.
Tina.
Mar 22, 2011 Tina. rated it it was ok
There's just something about Assia Djebar's writing that rubs me the wrong way. Some beautiful passages and heart-breaking meditations on death, but, overall, I'm just underwhelmed.
Catherine
Apr 02, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible book about writers and poets and journalists and many more important persons during historical time of the Independence and the more recent tumultous years 80's and 90's
Ellen Marcolongo
Ellen Marcolongo rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Fatima Zohra
Fatima Zohra rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2011
Katie Avalos
Katie Avalos rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2016
Katia Guezi
Katia Guezi rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Teena George
Teena George rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2008
Nikki
Nikki rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2016
Angela Lambrix
Angela Lambrix rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2011
Tiara
Tiara rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2010
Lexi
Lexi rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Margaux
Margaux rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Margje
Margje rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2011
Cătălina Pascaru
Cătălina Pascaru rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
DZLit
DZLit rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Sammi Ferhaoui
Sammi Ferhaoui rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
  • Tablet & Pen: Literary Landscapes from the Modern Middle East
  • My Father Was a Freedom Fighter: Gaza's Untold Story
  • The Prophet of Zongo Street: Stories
  • Harmattan
  • Où j'ai laissé mon âme
  • Lyrics Alley
  • Prisoner of Love
  • A Border Passage: From Cairo to America – A Woman's Journey
  • Algerian Chronicles
  • The Forbidden Woman
  • Zeina
(the pen name of Fatma-Zohra Imalhayene)
أسيا جبار
Assia Djebar was born in Algeria to parents from the Berkani tribe of Dahra. She adopted the pen name Assia Djebar when her first novel, La Soif (Hunger) was published in 1957, in France where she was studying at the Sorbonne.

In 1958, she travelled to Tunis, where she worked as a reporter alongside Frantz Fanon, travelling to Algerian refugee camp
More about Assia Djebar...