Start by marking “The Human Brain Book” as Want to Read:
The Human Brain Book

The Human Brain Book

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  267 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Combining the latest findings from the field of neuroscience with expert text and state-of-the-art illustrations, The Human Brain Book is a complete guide to the one organ in the body that makes each person a unique individual. Includes an interactive DVD.
Published August 1st 2009 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Human Brain Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Human Brain Book

Larry McCleary
May 09, 2011 Larry McCleary rated it it was amazing
This is one of several easily readable, recent books for those who are interested in the look and feel of the brain, how it works, what happens when things go wrong and how the brain can heal itself.

As a brain surgeon, I recommend it because:

a) it combines salient neuroscientific findings about how the brain is formed, develops, how it is configured, how the various components work together and what happens with various diseases; and

b) it has numerous, high-quality illustrations, 3D images, brai
Toby
May 13, 2010 Toby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a book.
I'm not sure what I expected from The Brain Book, but it surpassed any expectations I might have had. What looks on the outside like a fun book about the brain for mid to late teens is actually intensely packed full of very detailed information - particularly anatomy - wonderfully laid out and illustrated. The scope of this book and the quality of the coverage make this an absolute must for someone who wants to learn, in great detail, about how the brain functions. I am attendin
عبدالرحمن عقاب
من أروع الكتب التي تتحدث عن الدماغ و العقل بصورة مميزة من حيث الرسومات التوضيحية والصور.
يغلب التركيز فيه على تحديد وتوضيح مواقع الأعصاب المسئولة عن الوظائف ( مثل الذاكرة و الابصار و التركيز و ....الخ) . وكنت أتمنى أن أجد فيه التركيز والتوضيح لآلية الوظيغة أكثر من تحديد المناطق المسئولة عنها.
حجم الكتاب كبير وثقيل الوزن مما يعيق الاستمتاع بقراءته حملا أو التنقل به . حتى في إيجاد مكان له في المكتبة .
هنالك بعض التناقض لكنه قليل. في المعلومات و أظن السبب يكمن غي كونها دراسات وفرضيات تحت البحث.
ملا
American Mensa
Jul 23, 2013 American Mensa rated it really liked it
The Human Brain Book by Rita Carter does a magnificent job of explaining the intricacies surrounding that great big hunk of grey matter that sits in each of our heads. This coffee-table book gives an in-depth look at everything that a person could want to know about the mysterious mass that controls everything about him or her.

The book itself is less of a “read through” book and more of a reference book that one could turn to if they were wondering about a certain facet of the brain; the helpfu
Joy H.
Feb 03, 2011 Joy H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-partially, brain
RE: _The Human Brain Book_
I've always loved reading about the brain and how it works, provided the material isn't too technical.

This book has many diagrams of the brain showing the different areas in detail. Although that can be interesting, as a lay person I browsed through the book for parts which I might understand easily. The book has many different ways of presenting material. So it's good for browsing.

Even though this book gets very technical, there was enough there for a lay person like m
Jessie
May 15, 2015 Jessie rated it really liked it
This book read like a "fun" textbook. I wanted to know the basics of the human brain, which this book fulfilled. But it also gave me a simple history, pictures and other tidbits of good information. Easy to read, great pictures and good flow.
Jo Bennie
Nov 30, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c
Visually this is a stunning book, coffee table size with beautiful glossy double page spreads of diagrams, photographs and scans. The text on each page is learned and accessible and this would be a good book for kids, the information bites are fairly small. But despite its beauty I feel there is something lacking. Many of the photographs of people are of the kind you find on clipart sites illustrating an emotion and don't really serve any purpose, they feel very pat. The structure of the book is ...more
Richard Banks
May 15, 2015 Richard Banks rated it it was amazing
Excellent book.If you are looking for some insight into the human brain and its functions, this is a good place to start. The graphics are awesome supported by interesting text.
Miriam
Mar 23, 2015 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Used this as supplemental reading for my behavioral neuroscience class and it did a wonderful job breaking things down into digestible bits. Excellent visuals and easy to read.
the gift
Apr 12, 2013 the gift rated it liked it
good intro with lots of boxes of thoughts- too many to credit quotes etc- it is beautiful to look at, well organized in sections leading from senses to knowledge and memory to consciousness. rather have the mri atlas at the end of the book, but this comes with a cd with maps and animation you can follow as you read. accessible neuroscience for the reader, and the only complaint i have is that it contains references to discoveries that sound interesting but are not pursued, something about it bei ...more
Michelle Marvin
Apr 01, 2013 Michelle Marvin rated it really liked it
This was a great book with a lot of little details about all sorts of things related to the brain. Sometimes it was too detailed, sometimes it wasn't detailed enough, but it certainly inspired a lot of further interest. My biggest complaint is the lack of sources - I wasn't convinced about some of the "research" or statements that were made so definitively and yet there are no sources cited in text, so it is impossible to trace the evidence. That said, I really liked reading the book and I espec ...more
Eris Field
Aug 04, 2014 Eris Field rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. It is very detailed yet easy to understand.
Nic
Oct 12, 2012 Nic rated it really liked it
There's sort of a map in the front! :P But I'm not tagging it that way because that would be silly. Which, as you may know, I never am.

I read only parts of the book. The whole thing is interesting, detailed, and well-illustrated with both scans as well as colorful diagrams, but I was mostly interested in refreshing myself on a few aspects of brain structure and disorders, so I didn't actually read the entire book. Still, I think I read enough to say it's quite good, and it was just what I was lo
David Melbie
Aug 12, 2014 David Melbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scientists
Recommended to David by: Librarian
Michael
Jan 08, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
The visuals are stunning but the text is dry like a textbook, or maybe more like a saltine cracker. Graphically this is BY FAR the best brain book I've found, and it's a great reference; but I'd recommend the Rough Guide to the Brain before this for a general overview of the brain. Rita Carter's Mapping the Mind looks good too, but I wonder if it's dated (published in 1999).
Kristine Bagnara
Sep 06, 2009 Kristine Bagnara rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, health
Excellent reference for anyone who wants to understand more about our brains or anyone who cares to understand more about the health and well-being of those with a huge range of neurological disorders (which, quite likely, is all of us). The complexity is fascinating.
R
Aug 03, 2012 R rated it liked it
Wonderful pictures and good detail for those with only a little knowledge in the field. It drags on a bit in places, making it a less-than-captivating read. Probably better as a reference book than a sit-down-and-read book. Also, hooray for hyphens!
Natalie
Excelentes imagens. No Entanto, fiquei desapontada por os autores não apresentarem nenhuma referencia bibliográfica das investigações relatadas no livro, nem os nomes dos autores das investigações, no caso de alguém quiser aprofundar o tema.
Anabela
This is a great book for those who, not being specialist, have an interest in learning about the brain. It has the best images I have ever seen in a neurobiology book and a CD with insightful animations.
Sara
this book is tricky. Very informative, great images... it's not inaccessible, but it's physically a big book and it's kind of overwhelming. Would have to give to the right kid.
Nick
Dec 26, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing
The best single-volume explication of the brain and what we currently know about it for the layperson.
Hashim Al-Zain
Apr 03, 2011 Hashim Al-Zain rated it it was amazing
This book reviles how very little we know about our own brains let a lone what goes in other people's minds!
James
Sep 21, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
My kind of coffee table book! Beautifully illustrated and well-written.
Sutee
Nov 19, 2009 Sutee is currently reading it
just got it yesterday
Asad Ullah
Asad Ullah marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Jason Merrill
Jason Merrill rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Bianca Patel
Bianca Patel marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
LittleCactus
LittleCactus marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
  • Brain: The Complete Mind
  • The Art of Changing the Brain: Enriching the Practice of Teaching by Exploring the Biology of Learning
  • Portraits of the Mind: Visualizing the Brain from Antiquity to the 21st Century
  • Awakenings / A Leg to Stand On / The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat / Seeing Voices
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts
  • Books by Oliver Sacks: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat / An Anthropologist on Mars/Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
  • Infinite Reality: Avatars, Eternal Life, New Worlds, and the Dawn of the Virtual Revolution
  • From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
  • Child Development (McGraw-Hill series in psychology)
  • The Life Cycle Completed