Start by marking “Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy” as Want to Read:
Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy

Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy

Ernie LaPointe is the great -grandson of the famous Hunkpapa Lakota chief, and he presents the family tales and memories told to him about his great-grandfather. In many ways the oral history differs from what has become the standard and widely accepted biography of Sitting Bull. LaPointe explains the discrepancies, how they occurred, and why he wants to tell his story of ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Gibbs Smith (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sitting Bull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sitting Bull

Jbondandrews
Apr 24, 2014 Jbondandrews rated it it was amazing
It was a very informative read of Sitting Bull, his life and legacy and I am very happy to know that his great grandson was able to tell his story. I hope that Mr LaPointe has all his hopes with his famous ancestor fulfilled.
Yasmin
Mar 04, 2014 Yasmin rated it it was amazing
Here at last is the true story of Sitting Bull. Books about him with sources of men like Stanley Vestal are all false and based on fabrication. Stanley Vestal had a story to write and it didn't matter whether anything was accurate or not. When he interviewed a relative of Sitting Bull, by the name of One Bull, that man was not a direct relation and further more was the man to betray Sitting Bull. He was the direct cause of Sitting Bull and companions murders. It is a very short book, can much be ...more
Lorena
Aug 11, 2015 Lorena rated it really liked it
You can read all the books you want about Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, but if you don't include in that list accounts written by indigenous authors from the same culture, you will miss the point of their lives. Just as Joseph M. Marshall's book "The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History" reveals the origins and cultural context of this great Native American warrior, so Ernie LaPointe's book adds flesh and blood to a powerful but remote icon who symbolizes heroic resistance against the inevit ...more
Jan
Aug 19, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-copy, historical
The great grandson of Sitting Bull endeavored to turn Lakota oral history into a written history and to also have the truth be known about his great grandfather. A written narrative was different as many Lakota words do not translate into English. "Sitting Bull" as Tatanka Iyotake was called should have translated into Buffalo Bull Who Sits Down. A compelling history of this famous man are the essence of the oral histories told to Ernie and explain the discrepancies in his grandfather's life and ...more
Kt
Jul 20, 2011 Kt rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it, but if you know nothing about Sitting Bull this is not a book you will enjoy. Ernie tells the story in the traditional oral way. Each chapter reveals a different story about his great grandfather from the family's point of view. If you have read nothing about Sitting Bull, it would feel disjointed. If you have, it helps you understand some of the things that he did. I listened to Ernie LaPointe at Ft Buford on the 130th anniversary of Sitting Bull's "surrender". It was an expe ...more
Joe Holman
Jan 08, 2012 Joe Holman rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book written by Sitting Bull's Great Grandson. Ernie LaPointe is a personal friend. An American patriot who has courage, honor, and determination. This is a book that is truly worth reading if you want to know how Sitting Bull and his decendents have been treated by their tribe and the fight Ernie has made to restore Sitting Bull's legacy.
Jim Blessing
Jan 02, 2013 Jim Blessing rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
My nephew and niece got me this book for Christmas. They visited Little Bighorn this year and met the author Ernie LaPointe and get the autographed book. Ernie LaPoint is the great grandson of Tatanka Iyotake, also known as Sitting Bull. The book traces his life and is written in the tradition of oral history. It has many insights and is an excellent read.
Rich
May 18, 2016 Rich rated it really liked it
You can't believe everything you have read, especially if it was from antagonistic sources. Ernie LaPointe is a great-grandson of Tatanka Iyotake ("Sitting Bull"), and sets the record straight with the family stories that don't match the records of One Bull, the nephew who betrayed Sitting Bull, who was a primary source for past "histories."
Sean Poole
Dec 10, 2009 Sean Poole rated it it was amazing
Ernie La Pointe is the direct lineal Great Grandson of Tatanka Iyotake, Sitting Bull. He tells the true oral history of his family and the Lakota people in this fascinating, very well researched book. It should be required reading in American History classes. Well worth the read!
Oct 17, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
If I could add a few more stars, I would. This version of Sitting Bull's life has never been told before, and the pain and anger that his descendants still feel over his death comes through loud and clear.
Sharon
Jun 09, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
not your average biography very easy read that flowed, and a truthful by a direct descendant of Sitting Bull. i learned a lot and appreciate the author and his aancestry and culture even more so now.
Melody Nunez
Mar 02, 2013 Melody Nunez rated it really liked it
I loved this book, and am glad I was able to get my hands on a copy. History can be so very skewed in the re-telling, so I was glad to hear stories about Sitting Bull from one of his relatives...
Mary
Jul 13, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
I heard the name Ernie LaPointe years ago. Then I heard him recently on a radio broadcast of "On Being." I was very impressed by Sitting Bull (Tatanka Iyotake)and am glad I learned more about him.
Larry Hardison
Larry Hardison rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2016
Helaine
Helaine rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
robert hardy
robert hardy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Michael O'Rangers
Michael O'Rangers rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Melanie Mills
Melanie Mills rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Shawna
Shawna rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2012
Anthony Garza
Anthony Garza rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
Anirudh Singh
Anirudh Singh rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Valentina
Valentina rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2013
Adam Campbell
Adam Campbell rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Julie Flaschenriem
Julie Flaschenriem rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2017
Terry Threadwell
Terry Threadwell rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
freya aka freta
freya aka freta rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Deb Kesecker
Deb Kesecker rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2011