Start by marking “We Were Young and at War: The First-Hand Story of Young Lives Lived and Lost in World War II” as Want to Read:

Never before have the diaries and letters of young people from all sides of World War Two been woven together to provide an account of what it was like to grow up amidst the daily horrors of this devastating war. 'We Were Young And At War' follows the stories of 16 teenage boys and girls who write with a disarming directness.
Published September 1st 2009 by Collins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about We Were Young and at War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were Young and at War

Victoria
Sep 22, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up after watching the World War 2 mini-series - Generation War (or Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter), a fictional drama about five youths in times of war. Unable to keep my mind off the circumstances these youths were put through, I decided to read this book to find out realities that these teenagers had to go through during the war. Wallis and Palmer, the compilers of these series of diaries have done a splendid job, arranging the writings chronologically, and keeping different ...more
Jul 14, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
There's always some 'must read' book you haven't read and in my case, a strong candidate would be the Diary of Anne Frank. Should I never do so, this volume may well fill that gap amply.

The book uses a variety of diaries written by teenagers of many nationalities to move through the war years. I was particularly fascinated by the long correspondence of one English boy with his female penfriend in the US (and by the epilogue which tells what happens afterwards... not what you would think) Some,
Shawn Bird
Dec 15, 2013 Shawn Bird rated it really liked it
Diary entries from teens during World War 2. From the trivial (American boy who is full of silly slang and talks about parties) to well educated Jewish boy in a Polish ghetto who just as the war ended was sent to Auchwitz. The profound observations of those in the war zone, worried about their safety, their friends, their family, contrasts with those on 'the other side' who are fervent for their cause, as well.

Experiences, propaganda, and the realities of war make this a valuable read for anyone
Tim Corke
This is a poignant as they get. Many people have either read or heard of the famous Anne Frank diary but this collection of diary extracts demonstrates the wide and monumental impact of WW2 on the lives of children all around the world in different countries in different war-affected regions. It's saddening to see the lives of individuals fade away as the excessive abuses and torture take their toll and the stains that wartime creates taint a generation.

Well edited to maximise the impact of thes
Richard
Mar 05, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book for anyone who's interested in diaries. Its greatest success is bringing together a whole range of children, from all over the world, with all the different perspectives; but all wanting the same peace and an end to war. Emotional and heartwarming, definitely a book for your shelf.
Felisha
Nov 23, 2014 Felisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I love that many different voices are included, from the Allies' side, as well as the Axis. There were soldiers, freedom fighters, and Holocaust victims alike. I also really liked they included a follow-up at the end, telling what became of each child after the journal entries/letters finished. A very important read to get a good feel on all aspects of such a tragic part of history.
Audrey
Jan 23, 2011 Audrey rated it it was amazing
poignant, REAL first hand diary accounts from real people who experienced the war.
understand it from the ground, from ordinary people, not from the victors who sat behind their desks and cowered before the Germans. heh.
Lisa
Jul 16, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, if you are interested in true life stories, writing their diary experiencing their journey during the war. A great read, recommended for those enjoy the history during the war years.
Hazel Roberts
Apr 02, 2011 Hazel Roberts rated it it was amazing
I HEARTILY RECCOMMEND THIS BOOK
YES IT IS ABOUT WAR BUT FROM A TOTALLY DIFFERENT ANGLE
FROM THAT OF YOUNGSTERS WHO HAVE TO GROW UP & IN SOME CASES DIE TOO SOON
Giulia Gazaneo
Giulia Gazaneo rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Jennifer Patrick
Jennifer Patrick rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Aska
Aska rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Carolina Ferreira
Carolina Ferreira rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Yoshiyuki Nishio
Jun 16, 2013 Yoshiyuki Nishio rated it it was amazing
Must read.
Mariana Barbosa
Mariana Barbosa rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Cailin
Cailin rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Guto
Guto rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Vic
Vic rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Sizu80
Sizu80 rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2011
Martinxo
Martinxo rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Rosemarie
Rosemarie rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Yuki Ling
Yuki Ling rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Yuu
Yuu rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Luiza Trigo
Luiza Trigo rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2012