Start by marking “Charming Grace” as Want to Read:
Charming Grace

Charming Grace

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  426 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
"Deborah Smith's novels are filled to the brim with wonderful characters, complex and rich emotions, tragedy and hope." -- Romantic Times Her Harvard-student son just eloped with the First Daughter. CNN is parked on the road to her apple orchards. Secret Service agents have commandeered her country kitchen. The irate First Parents are threatening to have her taxes audited. ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Charming Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charming Grace

Gail
I pretty much like anything Deborah Smith has written, which is why I picked this one up when I saw it at the library. It has more humor than other things of Smith's I've read, but still had plenty of her "trademark" angsty stuff. Grace Vance is determined to stop a Hollywood version of a movie about her cop-hero husband's life, especially since he died being a hero, and especially since Hollywood is going to get it wrong (given who's producing and starring in the movie). There's lots of flashba ...more
Cbeagle
Aug 22, 2015 Cbeagle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
audio
Alasandra Alawine
Simply CHARMING!!!!

Deborah Smith brings a rich array of characters to life and weaves romance and happy every afters amidst comic back drops.

When movie star turned director Stone Senterra arrives in Dahlonega, Georgia to make the movie of GBI Agent Harp Vance's life and death Grace is determined to stop him, but then she falls hard for Stone's ex-con bodyguard.

Boone Noleene is determined to hang on to his job with Stone so his brother Armand will have a job when he gets out of prison. After thei
Margaret
Jun 20, 2013 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to review the plot of this book because there is so much going on, all of it leading to the wonderful ending. There is no excess padding in this book!

Grace is determined to keep Stone Senterra from making a movie about her bigger than life deceased husband who died a heroic death as a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent. Grace loved Harp Vance from the time she saw him in the general store counting out his precious coins to buy a ceramic Santa deeply discounted in the month of
Shonna Froebel
I picked up this audiobook romance novel at a recent conference. The author was new to me, but it was an enjoyable book.
Set in a small southern town in Georgia, a big movie star, Stone Senterra, known for his action movies, has come to town to film his first movie as a director. He wants to tell the story of a man who grew up there, a man who died recently in a very public act of heroism. The man's widow, Grace Vance, however, doesn't trust him, and wants to keep her husband's life private. Grac
Tania Martins
Dec 03, 2011 Tania Martins rated it liked it
Dona
Nov 24, 2014 Dona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite book of the year. Funny, witty, entertaining, wonderful plot twists, jumps from one characters point of view to another as narrator. Absolutely the best audio book out of hundreds this year as I commute 3 hours a day to work and home.
Michelle
Feb 15, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one at first but I really did enjoy it. Not my normal genre but it did keep me entertained and I liked the twists at the end!
Carol
Jan 12, 2015 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Language. Strange story that I'm glad I listened to and didn't read. Too many convoluted plots. I really shouldn't have wasted my time.
Deborah Ofiara
Jan 17, 2016 Deborah Ofiara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out slow, but once I got into it I enjoyed it a lot.
Joann Krause Radke
I couldn't get through it, it didn't hold my interest
Sandy
Jul 11, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook: Hmmmm, this book was twice as long as it should have been. However, I loved the reading by the different characters and the southern accents. The book was good, but predictable. There were some memorable characters that I will store in my brain somewhere.
Aryn
Apr 14, 2012 Aryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book. I HATE books that make me cry, and I cried without reservation. And I laughed. And I understood these people.
There were a few technical difficulties with typos and grammar, but mainly it was a very well done book written with charm and heart. And some silliness. But nothing that made me wince and go "oh, c'mon".
I liked it. I'll reread it. and I hope that her other books have the same humanity chugging along the pages. My proverbial hat is off to the author; many thanks, Ms Smi
Sue
May 04, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Georgia
Jessica Vermeylen
Apr 14, 2015 Jessica Vermeylen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In de orchideeënvallei
Joene
Mar 05, 2008 Joene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Another favorite story from Deborah Smith, this one is quite touching, especially in the memory of the heroine's first husband. Yet, the laughter caused by the interaction between Grace, bless her heart, and her new love, reach new heights. I literally almost fell off my couch reading some of their antics. Great Story!!!
Evelyn
Sep 29, 2009 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute-romance, romance
Grace Bagshaw Vance will do whatever it takes to stop a Hollywood action star, Stone Senterra, from making a bad movie about her dead husband Harper, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent who died a hero. Harper was the love of her life, but she finds herself falling for Stone's bodyguard, Cajun Boone Noleene.
Claudia Harrington
I picked up this book at my local library without knowing what it was about, I need a audio book for a long trip. It was a fun story, even funny but when it comes to literally value it's just a paper back cheap romance novel. ( why I read it? well it was a very long trip and I didn't have anything else to read)
Mary Z : )
Jul 06, 2012 Mary Z : ) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-comedy
Having a couple of different storylines in this book was a good idea. Neither was enough to stand as a story on its own, but they came together nicely. Wide enough range of characters with distinct personalities - some stereotypical, but fun. I enjoyed it.
Sharon
Dec 01, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My third favorite.. for all the same reasons: character development, dialogue, and intelligent-kooky characters. Grace is strong; Boon Nolene (great name!) is stronger; Stone Sentera turns out to be pretty okay. I really loved the book.
Judy Wise
I do not know why this book was just not for me. I could not get into it. Went back to read other peoples comments and began to think it was all me. Anyway I gave up, too many books out there for me to struggle to the end of this one.
Naomi
Jan 16, 2010 Naomi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
What was Deborah Smith trying to do in this book? I've really liked her other books, but this one had a very odd flow to it and left me disappointed. It was a terrible mix of over the top humor and the painful loss of a spouse.
SAHMwIssues
Nov 08, 2012 SAHMwIssues rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-and-sexy
I loved this book. I listened to it on my iPhone. VERY well done! Humorous and a slow flirtatious love story. Loved it. Loved the lead male, a Cajun bodyguard and the fiesty heroine, a spit-fire debutant. Very fun.
Ruth
Nov 11, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow to start, but I was thoroughly engrossed by halfway through. Memorable hero & heroine. Good lines, funny, poignant, and very "southern" flavor. Very satisfying end.
Jaime Atkins
Feb 14, 2011 Jaime Atkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I don't know how this book got by me, but I remember reading this last year. I remember it being good, but like many have posted, not as good as others by Smith.
Rebecca Roman
Jan 23, 2008 Rebecca Roman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
absolutly loved this book. It was sad and funny. It wasn't like most romance novels. I forgot I was even reading a romance novel with all the comedy in it.
Tamera
This was a great "formula fiction" read! The characters were fully formed, meaning you grow to genuinely like the characters. Defiantly a solid B+!
Bree
Mar 07, 2011 Bree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I just love Deborah Smith. Her books are fantastic and well worth the time. This book did not disappoint.
Tracy
Nov 23, 2008 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tracy by: The "Ultimate Reading List"
I can't really think of anything to say about this book. It seems like I should have enjoyed it more. But I just didn't.
Mary Newcomb
An unexpected ending to a seemingly trite story kept me interested far longer than I had expected.

• Code of the West
  • Nuptials for Sale
  • Loving Lucy
  • Lie to Me
  • The Witches Of Enchanted Bay: Ax To Grind (Cozy Mystery) (Witches Of Enchanted Bay Cozy Mystery Book 2)
  • Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
  • Good Girls Do (Girls Do Or Don't, #1)
  • Baby, Don't Go
  • Hot Dish
  • A Night with the Society Playboy (Nights of Passion #3)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • The Orchid Hunter
  • Lord Harry (Regency, #5)
  • Mother Angelica's Answers, Not Promises
  • Haunted Spouse
  • Autumn Dreams
  • Some Kind of Magic
  • Orange as Marmalade (Biscuit McKee Mystery #1)
aka Jackie Leigh
aka Della Stone
aka Leigh Bridger

Bestselling Author
Co-founder, co-publisher
Vice-president, Editor in Chief
BelleBooks, Memphis, TN

Deborah Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of A Place to Call Home, and the No. 1 Kindle Bestseller The Crossroads Cafe, A Gentle Rain and other acclaimed romantic novels portraying life and love in the modern Appalachian South. A native Georg
More about Deborah Smith...