The Book of Mychal: The Surprising Life and Heroic Death of Father Mychal Judge

The Book of Mychal: The Surprising Life and Heroic Death of Father Mychal Judge

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The inspiring story of New York Fire Department Chaplain Father Mychal Judge

His death certificate bears the number one. As chaplain to the Fire Department of New York, Father Mychal Judge was officially the first to go. A loving priest with a gift for the gab-gregarious yet humble, a healer with the ability to wipe away a widow's tears and put a smile on a fireman's face.

A...more
Published September 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Mychal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Mychal

George Matysek
Daly's writing, especially as he recounts the events of Sept. 11, 2001, is often moving and sometimes even poetic. The biography is weakened, however, by the author's obvious disdain for the institutional church, portrayed as obstinate, hypocritical and petty. In Daly's telling, New York Cardinal John O'Connor comes across as an almost cartoonish villain, while Father Judge is the gritty Franciscan who bucks the system for the greater good.

Daly gives a well-rounded portrayal of one of the most...more
Neil Mudde
My interest in Father Judge stemmed from watching the documentary "Saint of 9/11" I had never ever heard of this person, and was amazed at his life and his involvement with persons of whatever background.
As gay man, I am not doubt predjudiced towards persons who may be sympathetic to other gay people,and if he was or was not is not all that important, the fact is that he cared for other human beings regardless, firemen hurt in fires, their families, people living on the street and coming for a h...more
Father Mychal Judge was a Catholic priest who followed the basic tenets of the religion but never let his religion's beliefs hinder his love of all people. He ministered to the poor and those with AIDS even as the pope condemned gay people. His joy of life and love of people brought many people to the God he loved and worshipped his whole life. He always wanted to help people and ease suffering wherever he could. He became associated with the FDNY and it brought him joy to be a part of the broth...more
Aimee Goldmeyer
An inspiring story of one man's legacy as a faithful follower of Jesus Christ, God, & the Holy Spirit.
Christopher
This is the story of an incredible man. I know someone who was a friend of his, and the stories she tells of him are completely consistent with the man portrayed in this biography. He was a real person who touched people in a very real way. Both his life and his death at the Twin Towers reflect a story of a man who loved his God and loved people in a genuine way.
Ela
I'm not much on the catholic church per se, but I'm met many wonderful priests that didn't always follow the Vatican's rules in regards who they should minister to and who not. Reading this book I wish I had met Father Mychal. He was a rebel that loved God and all mankind. It's tough reading this book without constantly crying.

Barb
Because I personally know some of the people and places mentioned in this book, I know that there were errors in the research. That, along with the rather obvious axe Mr. Daly has to grind with the Catholic Church, reduced his credibility as a biographer.
Phyllis
I cried, in so many places. A human being unafraid to admit to weakness, but continue to move on. He gave so many gifts; heart, time, ear, etc. That we should each be the kind of person this person was.
Dawn
Father Mychal Judge was an amazing man. Those who knew him must have been truly blessed. He is an inspiration. I didn't want to finish the book as if somehow that would change the outcome.
Anne
as i'm reading this i'm thinking that i wish i had known this man.
Deb Weina
A book that belongs in every House of Formation.
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Jennifer Holt
Jennifer Holt marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Topsy: The Startling Story of the Crooked Tailed Elephant, P.T. Barnum, and the American Wizard, Thomas Edison Under Ground Find It Eat It: Cooking Foraged Food Gathered Around New Zealand Up from Under Killer Dads: The Twisted Drives that Compel Fathers to Murder Their Own Kids