Start by marking “Parker's Astrology” as Want to Read:
Parker's Astrology

Parker's Astrology

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A new edition of this universally acknowledged practical introduction to astrology for interested amateurs and budding professionals
If you are interested in the zodiac and astrology, let Derek and Julia Parker guide you through the stars and planetary activity.
You'll learn the basics of astrology, discover astrological techniques and join them as they take a look at th
Published August 1st 2009 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published January 1st 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Parker's Astrology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parker's Astrology

Sparrow
A lot of astrology books are not my favorites because of their, I don’t know, odd sexism, prejudice against certain signs, or useless generalities (among other faults). I really like the Parker’s, though. I have a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in this book because of time spent going over it with friends. It’s been pretty trusty. I’m persuaded it was written by Geminis because, I mean, let’s be real, no one is this rah-rah about Geminis. Sorry, Geminis. You are my friends, but I’ve seen the kind o ...more
Pamela
Jan 10, 2012 Pamela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone new to astrology
Recommended to Pamela by: no one, I found a used copy of the paperback in a book store in 2005
This is my favorite astrology book. In fact I've owned 3 different copies of it (different editions). My original copy got lost and I ended up buying this hard cover library bound version, and then my original paperback version.
While it follows the traditional "cook book" formula that's popular in many astrology books, I feel Julia & Derek Parker add more depth and great insight into many of the astrological readings than often found in most "cook book" kind of astrology books. While this w
Shannon Cunningham
I grew up with this book on hand, learning all the basics of natal astrology through it. I believe it was this book that also taught my mom how to cast charts by hand.

It's an excellent, thoughtful, and thorough training manual for beginners. The best part, however, is that it never loses value, as it becomes a reliable reference for advanced students. I have my family's second hard cover copy on hand now, making it about 20 of the 25 years of my life I've used this book. ;)
Johnny Martin
Being the first book I bought on astrology, proper, I owe a lot to the Parker's for such a detailed introduction to the astrological realm. It covers everything from what you'd expect to what you never knew about astrology, from detailed descriptions of the zodiac signs and planets to an impressive cookbook format of how to interpret planets in signs and houses and planetary aspects and angles. There's a whole section of how to calculate and draw up birth charts, as well as other types of charts ...more
Brian Collins
This is a great book for those starting out in their exploration of astrology. Julia Parker has created a work of art with her illustrations. The content of the book itself is extremely useful, and for its size she has covered a huge area of astrology.
I enjoyed this book both as a beginner and now as an experienced astrologer still reference it, as the information is still current and meaningful.
Shkna9

While this book covers a lot of info and is detail rich I experienced many issues when recreating their example charts. First off and the main problem: the calculations were often way off and the latitude/longitude for locations were not that accurate.
Some of the information for calculations were very confusing and not easy to follow.
I've been studying astrology for years. I would never recommend someone to cast their chart using the techniques in this book!
There are much better books on the m
Denise
I gave this one 2 stars because I found the descriptions of the signs to be pretty stereotypical—maybe this was because the book was last published over 10 years ago. Hopefully the next "new edition" will be a bit more evolved without having to rely so much on oft-repeated things like: "Scorpios are intense, dark, and possessive," or "Virgos are overly-obsessed neat freaks who are most happy working as accountants or being worker bees," or "Aquarians are the lights of the world and the next best ...more
Cindra
The "always at my fingertips" go-to, quick reference for basic astrological info. On my 3rd copy. Used so often that they eventually fall apart.
Carlos. GERT GERT
This is okay, but get better books.
Freda mans
This is the most detailed book on astrology I have read to date. It was complete with examples of birth charts and other useful things. There is a lifetime worth a reading for a lover in this field, but it is worthy information. Incredible details throughout, and I learned a lot from this book.
A fabulous read for any astrology enthusiast!
Brooke Corwin
The most comprehensive amount of information regarding the integration of astronomy and astrology that I have ever seen. I pick it up all the time to reference it, for pleasure reading, or to show my friends.
Amigas da Annika
This is the most beautifully illustrated book! Though it is comprehensive, most of it is not intended for the novice astrologer. A great text book for the student of Astrology, though, and GORGEOUS!
Lynn Wilson
Another excellent basic astrology book. It will familiarize you with the scientific and mythological aspects of this ancient art form, and it's a beautiful coffee table book to boot.
Matty
I read August '09 version (different cover). Blue section has real interesting explanations of the planet influences for the individual, because it's more in-depth.
Cassandra Thiesing
If you want to learn astrology in a very deep detail this book is for you. This book is not recommended for the beginner.
Sarah Jane
This book has SO MUCH information about the history and details of astrology, and even shows you how to draw our your own chart.
Julia
This is book has been my astrology Bible for over ten years. My copy is increasingly worn, but much beloved.
Megan
Wow. There's some major information in this book. I'll have to read it again. Highly recommended.
Vasilis Kanatas
It is a version of Claudius Ptolemy Horoscopic Astrology with many arbitrary elements.
Lynn
Nice reference book - complicated and requires multiple analysis
Moog
My first astrology book... good for giving a taste.
Julie
I keep forgetting to read it
Lorianne Sidhe
It still sits on my shelf.
Catherine Handren
I understand all of you now.
Angela
Incredibly detailed
Buddyonabookshelf
Buddyonabookshelf marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Cat_ski
Cat_ski marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Twelve Houses: Introduction to the Houses in Astrological Interpretation
  • The Astrologer's Handbook
  • Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil
  • Planets in Transit: Life Cycles for Living
  • The New Astrology: A Unique Synthesis Of The World's Two Great Astrological Systems: The Chinese & Western
  • Darkside Zodiac
  • Aspects in Astrology: A Guide to Understanding Planetary Relationships in the Horoscope
  • Astrology for the Soul
  • Born on a Rotten Day: Illuminating and Coping with the Dark Side of the Zodiac
  • Linda Goodman's Love Signs: A New Approach to the Human Heart
  • The Secret Language of Birthdays: Personology Profiles for Each Day of the Year
  • The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Volume 1: Basic Principles
  • Astrology, Karma and Transformation: Inner Dimensions of the Birth Chart
  • Astrology For Dummies
  • The Tarot Handbook
  • The Handbook of Chinese Horoscopes
  • Sextrology: The Astrology of Sex and the Sexes
Astrology KISS Guide to Astrology Parkers' Astrology Pack The Complete Book of Dreams (DK Living) Sun & Moon Signs: An Indispensable Illustrated Guide to Astrological Characteristics