Start by marking “Wonder Woman: The Circle” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: The Circle

Wonder Woman: The Circle (Wonder Woman III #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,510 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
An army of foes called the Olympians have risen to begin their all-out assault on war across the globe and only Wonder Woman can stop them! One particular attack could spell the end of the Department of Metahuman Affairs and end WW's secret identity of Diana Prince. And Wonder Woman's life is changed forever when she faces a monster named Genocide who easily goes toe to- t ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by DC Comics (first published September 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Anne
Jan 05, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail Simone makes Wonder Woman look cool. Finally. Even the dorky much-lampooned Lasso Of Truth is a wicked weapon in her hands. Simone, you're my hero.
Sesana
Dec 08, 2011 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I've heard very good things about Gail Simone's run on Wonder Woman, so I went in with high expectations. Luckily, I wasn't disappointed. Yay! This particular volume feels very exposition-y, and it bears remembering that this is right after the highly ill-advised Amazons Attack! storyline (which I am boycotting). In other words, it's a lot of foundation. It felt like a solid foundation to me, and it opened up a storyline that I wasn't expecting, relating to Diana's birth. More will come of this, ...more
Bookwraiths
Some good things, some bad things, and more than a few meh things. It could be that I've just read too many WW reboots lately.
Artemis
Been sighted as one of the best 'Wonder Woman' comic books in the last decade, as penned by Gail Simone. Sure I was hyped up - even the packaging was immaculate and handled with extreme care when it was posted to my door. But experience has taught me to always keep my expectations low on anything.

In the end I couldn't help it - the book and its cover make it look like a Greek mythology treasure trove!

Nonetheless, I enjoyed 'Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle'.

The plotting is solid - nothing and no
Claire
Feb 28, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Wonder Woman: The Circle. It conveys all the best qualities of Wonder Woman. She sees all the details of a situation without losing sight of the big picture: a great strategic and diplomatic mind, strong, fierce and compassionate.

Mercedes Lackey wrote a great introduction for this volume, but I would hold off reading it until after you've read the book so you can form your own opinions unbiased. However, if you need to be sold on reading it, then by all means, read the introduc
Felicia
Feb 18, 2011 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not being that familiar with other Wonder Woman stories, i really enjoyed the depth of character put into this book. I felt like it was really clear how heroic a character Wonder Woman is from the writing, i enjoyed the art as well. Just very honest and grounded, which is hard to do in the format.
Tar (Smoke)
Apr 05, 2017 Tar (Smoke) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But fight to win."

Me ha gustado mucho el arco. Está muy bien montado y me gusta mucho la Diana que escribe Simone. Demasiados planos con culos detallados para ser sinceros eso sí.

Pero bueno, especialmente en el final ha habido varios dibujos que me han encantado. Y la coleta/lazo le sienta genial.
Cassandra
Mar 19, 2017 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great soft reboot of Wonder Woman. Gail Simone writes a powerful and compelling heroine and manages to create a coherent backstory that resolves some of the inconsistencies in Wonder Woman's history. I didn't dig the Nazi fighting and the forced romance at the end knocked off a full star from my rating, but overall I really enjoyed this volume.
Michael Wilson
Jan 12, 2009 Michael Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I think that Mercedes Lackey said it best (by quoting Gail Simone) about Gail Simone's vision of Wonder Woman in the introduction: "When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call in Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman." And the stories contained within illustrate why GS's vision is so powerful... and show why many times the knock-down-drag-out fights are not always necessary, and that you can be unafraid to fight, while li ...more
Summer
May 25, 2016 Summer rated it liked it
I love Wonder Woman and Terry and Rachel Dodson's art is always excellent. The Circle was one of the more easier comic books to sink into especially considering this is book three in the series. However I still felt a bit lost and and the new artist in the last 50 pages wasn't as impressive.
Heather Fryling
Just ok... Based on other reviews, I was expecting depth of character, original plot lines.
Jacki
Summary: Wonder Woman makes friends with some sentient gorillas, fights to save her homeland from invading Nazi goons and her mother from the former members of the queen's personal guard, and faces off with a member of another DC franchise over the fate of the Khund.

Verdict: Strangely bland.

Yay!: Mercedes Lackey writes a great introduction to this volume. Wonder Woman's core values are shown as she tries to befriend enemies, kicks butt, and extends mercy. The fight scenes are decent, and the bri
Brini
I've never read a solo Wonder Woman story and this story was perfect to change that. You learn about her mother, Queen Hippolyta, and the Amazons. Right from the beginning you can tell why Diana has earned her status as the Amazon princess. She can see even the slightest spark of good in everyone while still remaining a fearless warrior who will stop at nothing to protect what is good. She can see the bigger picture. One of the best things was to see her Lasso Of Truth at work— how it enters the ...more
Arya Stark
Feb 05, 2017 Arya Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great artwork and a decent story.

Never encountered either villain before and has a classic Wonder Woman vibe to it.
Kit
Mar 07, 2015 Kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of beginning to see why Gail Simone is a thing, even if I felt kinda icky about the whole...babylust jealously thing, but it is a really interesting premise, given WW's background. The exploration of this idea with women has always kind of confused me, but at least the art and writing was solid.
Eli Poteet
It was entertaining enough. I liked how Wonder Woman knows all the gods and goddesses and deities of all the pantheons. Really I just want to see the amazon make out with other female lead roles, that would be fantastic, just do away with the blonde doe eyed heterosexual flirtation and I'd rate it a stars!
Sara
Another one that doesn't quiiiiite hold up to a reread, but in the moment I loved it. I think this was the book that told me to give Gail Simone a real try, and also not to despair at the way people mistreat my beloved Wonder Woman.
Hannah Givens
I wish I'd been able to get more emotionally invested, but it's a good solid Wonder Woman book.
Paweł
Dec 02, 2016 Paweł rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc
Bonusowe numery ze srebrnej ery dały mi raka.
Matthew Hittinger
I heart Gail Simone.
Levi
Dec 03, 2016 Levi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my continuing survey of the works of Gail Simone, I have finally arrived at a collection that is genuinely good. "Secret Six" was a tasteless insult to the senses, while "Birds of Prey: Endrun" was an unmitigated bore. But "Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle" was rather enjoyable to read.

I suppose it makes some sense to give creative control of DC's leading lady to the comic book industry's most prominent feminist writer. Having never read a dedicated Wonder Woman story before, so I don't have
Keya
Jun 13, 2012 Keya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, owned
Gail Simone has a fairly strong start on her Wonder Woman run in this book. I can see why people are fans of her even though I abhor the new 52 Batgirl. Since I'm reading Rucka's run on Wonder Woman concurrently, this review will be kind of a comparison of the two in addition to me just listing off what I liked and didn't like about the book.

Whereas Rucka's WW is highly political and light on action, at least in Down to Earth, Simone's WW has action right from the start, with Diana fighting som
Amy
Apr 06, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
When it comes to comics and me, I have to admit that I tend to lean more toward the deep artsy stuff like Stitches, Fun Home, or Persepolis; or even the dark yet more episodic Vertigo comics like Human Target(interestingly, I just found out that Human Target is actually a DC Comic under the Vertigo imprint--publishing is such fun.) Anyway, you get the point: The Justice League is not usually what I grab first when I'm in the mood for graphic novels or comics. However, I know Temperance Brennan f ...more
Vicenç Sanz
Es curioso que mi primera experiencia con una historia cerrada de Wonder Woman haya sido tan regulera. La verdad es que tenía muchas ganas de leerme ésta obra, pensando que sería un buen punto de entrada a la amazona. No sé si esas expectativas han jugado en su contra, pero el caso es que al final me ha dejado bastante frío.

El que sólo sean cuatro números recopilados tampoco juega a su favor, teniendo que mantener la continuidad de la serie y teniendo poco espacio para desarrollar una idea tan i
Katie
A painful lesson in reading mainstream superhero comics. Instead of diving in blindly I should have begun with the informative and inspiring introduction by fantasy/sci-fi author Mercedes Lackey, in which she outlines her hopes for Wonder Woman and reviews some of the problematic history of the character. I had not realized, for example, that Wondy was still fighting cartoon Nazis in the 21st century, and the intro would have clued me in to this reality.

This volume collects two story arcs. In th
Eowyn Randall
Apr 16, 2014 Eowyn Randall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
So, I didn't really have any notions about Wonder Woman going into this, but I was grabbing comics that looked interesting at the library and I remembered hearing good things about Gail Simone a few places in my internet wanderings, so I snagged this.

Mostly I enjoyed this volume. I was definitely out of my depth for a lot of it. I've got some serious catching-up to do on Wonder Woman's mythology.

Gail Simone has knack for dialogue that's funny and driven without seeming scripted or forced. The ba
C.J. Edmunds
Oct 04, 2011 C.J. Edmunds rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, owned
Continuing my Wonder Woman reading phase and seeing that this edition at National Book Store in Megamall was at 40% off, it was a no-brainer whether to get this or not.

As for me being rewarded? Yes I was.

This trade collects Wonder Woman issues from #14-#19 and compiles the first run of Gail Simone as she began writing for our heroic Amazon back then. The trade gives us a glimpse into Diana's creation and how a faction of supporters of Queen Hippolita opposed the creation of Wonder Woman, brandin
karenbee
Jun 24, 2015 karenbee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Yep, I definitely need to look up more stuff by Simone. I loved The Circle; it hit all the right buttons for me.

It was a relief to find something set in the same universe as Love and Murder but WITHOUT Diana the Human acting like a child or someone who had been trapped in an underground bunker for decades.

Wonder Woman the Warrior kicks ass in here, of course. I enjoyed reading her origin story since I didn't know much about Diana's birth or the Amazons or any of that yet.

Could have done withou
Matt Bromagin
So I've been trying to read a bunch of female super heroes. Over the past week I purchased or checked out Ms. Marvel (Kamala), Captain Marvel (Carol), Squirrel Girl, Bat-Woman, Spider-Island Warzones that went back and forth to a Spider-Girl story, and I'll be starting Alias (Jessica Jones) here soon. All of these were really good. I think I gave all of them five stars.

I was pretty pumped for Wonder Woman. In almost three decades of reading comic books I never read a stand-alone issue of Wonder
Kim Dyer
May 25, 2014 Kim Dyer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-comics
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this comic.

I adore the way that Simone writes Wonder Woman. I've never really appreciated the character before (I still remember her being reduced to secretarial duties within the JLA) but Simone gives her strength of character and a vibrant Amazonian spirit. Even the lasso of truth becomes truly awesome in Simone's run. After Amazon's Attack, I did not think that I could ever like Wonder Woman again but thankfully Simone has proved me wrong.

However, I did fe
Bitch Team Alpha ...: Wonder Woman 2 6 Jan 25, 2015 11:57PM
  • Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Manhunter, Vol. 1: Street Justice
  • Superman: Brainiac
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Wonder Woman III (7 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Love and Murder