Start by marking “Captain Britain And MI13, Vol. 3: Vampire State” as Want to Read:
Captain Britain And MI13,  Vol. 3: Vampire State

Captain Britain And MI13, Vol. 3: Vampire State (Captain Britain and MI13 #3)

The king of the vampires is back As if the hoards of demons that Pete Wisdom let out in order to defeat the Skrulls in England weren't enough, now DRACULA has entered the scene. What does he want with Spitfire? And how will an election help his cause? You better hope that Captain Britain and the rest of MI13 have a way to defeat him Collects Captain Britain and MI13 ...more
Published September 23rd 2009 by Marvel (first published September 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Britain And MI13, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Britain And MI13, Vol. 3

Simone
Oct 08, 2015 Simone rated it really liked it
Se volete leggere la mia recensione, cliccate qui!:

David
Sep 19, 2016 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Not a review. Just an acquisition note: Had thought these were priced out of my range. But found brand new copies cheap on Book Depository! Which bummed me as I loved vol. 1. Now I have all 3 book I'll have to read them all at once.
Jacob
Feb 05, 2011 Jacob rated it really liked it
Well plotted and wrapped the storyline up nicely. Not an espionage story, like Checkmate, that I had expected or something along the lines of what Greg Rucka would do, I suppose. Lots of clever magic and action and vampires and romance. There's an annual issues/storyline that's shoved into just prior to the very last chapter and having read it, I wished I hadn't wasted my time: it was all about Cricket. I have to say this British author really brings the British lingo onto the comics page. I ...more
Mike
Feb 09, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
No matter how many times I tell my friends about this book, it's hard to make a plot like "British superheroes fight off Dracula's vampire invasion from the moon" sound like something they'd want to read. But it is. Really. I swear. Hand to God.

Paul Cornell's series gets a fantastic swan song with this collection, which is full of adventure, tragedy, love, and just a little bit of humor. Several plot devices from the previous collections return to play in the final story. Blade's presence on the
Phillip Berrie

The pros: This story is a showcase for the Peter Wisdom character as the whole outcome pivots on his involvement as leader of MI13. This British paranormal service was something new to me and I would be interested in finding out more about it and its leader and it is the reason I have given it 3 stars rather than a lower rating.

The cons: I wasn't particularly impressed with the premise of the villain's plot or such things as using ballistically-fired vampires as weapons—which was just plain sill
Nicholas Whyte
May 21, 2010 Nicholas Whyte rated it it was ok

I found this quite difficult to get into. I'm not familiar with Captain Britain as a character, and the two-paragraph synopsis was not sufficient for me to get the characters sorted out in my mind. So I spent some time wondering who I was meant to care about in the story. (And who was the rather cute woman who apparently gets torn in half on page 31, never to be mentioned again?)

Apart from that (fairly major) gripe, I did like the two main elements of t
Orrin Grey
Apr 18, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
What made me first look into Captain Britain and MI13 was picking up an issue at a comic store and flipping open to a page showing Dr. Doom meeting Dracula on the moon. I realized instantly that one image summed up pretty much everything I read comics for, and I knew I had to read the series it came from.

So far I've not been disappointed. Captain Britain and MI13 is everything I'd do if you put me in charge of a group of second-string superheroes in the Marvel universe, only distinctly more Brit
Erik
Mar 21, 2011 Erik rated it liked it
Even though this third volume is the last for Captain Britain and allies, this final story-arc brings full circle many of the plot threads begun back in volume one: Jaqueline/Spitfire's vampirism, Brian/Captain Britain's lost-love Megan, and the introduction of the character of Faiza, who became the Black Knight's steward. It may not have been the best series, but Captain Britain and MI13 was a decent superhero team series that showed promise. And written by one of the best TV writers in the ...more
Bill Williams
Dec 12, 2009 Bill Williams rated it it was amazing
Paul Cornell's take on the British MARVEL super heroes is entertaining and clever. In this trade, Dracula has planned to take over the UK so that the vampires will have a homeland. After a meeting with Doctor Doom in Dracula's castle on the moon, the vampire lord ramps up his plans. Part of the plan, firing vampires toward the Earth with a cannon.

And that is just the first part of the awesome. The story shows the chess game between the two sides in the conflict and the action is great. Sadly, th
Alan
Jan 18, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it
Dr. Who writer's Paul Cornell's take on Marvel Comics' British superheroes came to an end just as I think the series had finally found its footing. In this volume Dracula declares war on Britain with the intent of founding a nation for all of Earth's vampires. There are cameos by Marvel UK characters rarely seen in US comics, and a nice surprise return of one character.

I also want to give Cornell credit for introducing a positive portrayal of a British Muslim character with Dr. Faiza Hussain.
Mario
Jun 05, 2010 Mario rated it it was amazing
The final arc of one of the best titles that came out last decade. Paul Cornell is a great writer,and shows this title to be inventive, inspiring, and it had great storytelling. Leonard Kirk is a great artist,but the pencil was rush towards the end, but it was still well-rendered. It breaks my heart that this title was cancelled, but it will still remain in my heart and views on how comic books should be!
Jon Arnold
Paul Cornell’s British superteam face an invasion from Dracula himself and his vampire army. Cornell provides a distinctively modern British take on the superhero genre with plenty of little cultural nods, including a game of cricket. Tremendously entertaining, despite what might be seen as a narrative cheat in the middle of the story.
Norman Cook
Jul 29, 2010 Norman Cook rated it it was ok
A group of second-string superheroes—including Captain Britain, Blade, and The Black Knight—team up in England to fight an army of undead led by Dracula. This is a run of the mill story, most likely nominated for the 2010 Hugo Award Graphic Story because it was written by a Doctor Who writer with a well organized fan base.
Mike Thomas
May 12, 2014 Mike Thomas rated it really liked it
This was a good read, its good to see a Marvel story set in the UK instead of New York. It had great artwork, and a good cast of characters. I remember reading the first lot of Captain Britain stories in the mid 70's, this was a slightly different take on the character, but was very good. A worthy read.....
Rob
Mar 01, 2016 Rob rated it it was ok
I just could not get into this story at all, and that is a shame. I usually enjoy Captain Britain and his exploits, but here, not sure, I think they tried to cram too much in and made everything really complicated.
Rachael
Jan 11, 2011 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2011
Awesome. Thank you, Paul Cornell, for basically everything in this story, but specifically for showing two parallel women with similar choices having the agency to make their own decisions. Fantastic.
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 27, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
An excellent conclusion to the series, with a kick-ass fight against Dracula melded with some good conclusive ends for our characters.
Khairul H.
Oct 10, 2009 Khairul H. rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The final collection of this series, sadly. Dracula attempts to invade Britain from the moon , British heroes fight back. Good guys win and they all live happily ever after.
Helen Wells
Mar 03, 2013 Helen Wells rated it liked it
This was the first one of these I'd read. I liked it, though not to start with. Perhaps it was because I didn't know the characters. And it's always a bit groan worthy when it's Dracula...
Dan
Jan 20, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Love Captain Britain, but this story was just okay. Thought with Dracula it would have been more exciting.
Matthew Nowak
Matthew Nowak rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Marcin
Marcin rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Miles Curtis
Miles Curtis rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Francesco
Francesco rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
James Bowman
James Bowman rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Hitman, Vol. 6: For Tomorrow
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: Shellshocked
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 3: The Book of the Iron Fist
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out ...more
More about Paul Cornell...

Captain Britain and MI13 (3 books)
  • Captain Britain and MI13, Vol. 1: Secret Invasion
  • Captain Britain And MI13, Vol. 2: Hell Comes To Birmingham

“Tara: So what does "Captain Britain's agent" actually do?
Wisdom: Between you and me, Tara, it's work, work, work. I'm in charge of Brian's hair.”
1 likes