Start by marking “Vulture's Wake” as Want to Read:
Vulture's Wake

Vulture's Wake

In this page-turning futuristic novel, a young woman finds out what it means to be living in a world destroyed by war, and a young man discovers that his only chance of survival is to question everything his parents taught him.
Published April 1st 2010 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Vulture's Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vulture's Wake

Kate McMurry
Young adult dystopian novel

This dystopian, futuristic story is told in the alternating points of view of two teen protagonists, a boy named Callum and a girl named Boadicea, Bo for short. I really enjoy it when a young adult novel is written that way, and I also appreciated the fact that the story is told in past tense, which doesn't draw attention to itself as present tense does.

The story starts with a bang, literally, as Molotov cocktails rain on the roof of the compound where Callum lives. He
P.M.
Nov 17, 2010 P.M. rated it liked it
Callum is kidnapped from his two Dads when Rusty and Ruff's Refuge is attacked by Dental and Floss, two hard core Outstationers who run a freak show and traveling circus. Meanwhile Bo lives in a burrow surrounded by a minefield with only her roboraptors for company. These two unlikely allies bond when Bo finds Callum barely alive in the desert. Callum is astonished when he finds out Bo is a girl because girls are supposed to be extinct after a plague of avian flu decimated the population of the ...more
Larissa
Aug 11, 2009 Larissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
For Callum, a colony boy, Vulture's Gate represents hope. After being stolen from his home in the outback by savage Outstationers and sold on as an attraction in a freak show, forced to perform in a circus for cruel masters, Callum escapes and returns to his outback home only to find his fathers gone, and his home destroyed. The only message left for him, his fathers are waiting for him in Vulture's Gate.

Bo is a girl living alone in the outback. She has been alone for the last six months, huntin
Annabel Smith
Sometime in the not-too-distant future women have become extinct. The privileged few live in The Colony, forming all-male families and raising test-tube babies. When Callum is kidnapped by bikies he sees a different world. While escaping, he meets Bo and together they cross the country looking for Callum's fathers. Along the way they face danger and adventure and their bond is tested. Together, they discover The Colony is not all it seems.

Bo & Callum are likeable characters - gutsy and tena
Becky
Oct 03, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
In a future world, Callum's life is upended when Outlanders destroy his home at the Colony outpost. Sold to two ruffians who train him to perform in their motorcycle daredevil act, he looks for an opportunity to escape. He is rescued by Bo, who lives in a concealed tunnel in the desert. As they become friends, Callum is shocked to discover that Bo is a girl. He was told that all females were killed by a deadly flu. As the Outlanders close in on their location, Callum is certain he can find his f ...more
Coby
Oct 12, 2011 Coby rated it it was amazing
this book takes place in the future,and girls have been wiped out by the Bird Flu. in the beginning of the book talks about the main character,Callum, in his house all alone and the Outstationers break into his house and kidnap him and take him to a horrible circus. he's there for 3 months before he escapes on one of their motorcycles. he gets far enough he's not paying attention and crashes. when he comes to, he in being cared by a guy underground.a few days later the Outstationers find him and ...more
Heidi
Sep 06, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretty much everyone
Post-apocalyptic/dystopian Australian futurism. With roboraptors. Roboraptors, people! And the thing is, I don't do post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction. Except that this is so awesome it turns me incoherent.

Totally OMG awesome.

Awesome like the BtVS episode "Normal Again". Awesome like the movie of "The House of Sand and Fog". Awesome like Brian Caswell's "Double Exposure" and "A Cage of Butterflies.

Totally, totally awesome.

(The review written (by me) for the school newsletter)

In an Australia
Jan
Feb 10, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
This book illlustrates that age old adage, "never judge a book by its cover." The cover is just awful--it gives not a hint of how well done this novel is.

Dystopic novels are sure coming fast and furious in Teen and this one is a welcome addition to the genre.

Callum is an 11 year old boy who lives in a future where women have been almost completely eradicated by a virulent strain of Avian flu. Callum lives with two "fathers," who are part of a Colony that seeks to impose control upon a lawless s
Meg McGregor
Jul 07, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
I am really on the fence about this book.

On the positive side I read this book in only one day. I just couldn't put it down.

I also enjoyed how the story was told from alternate points of view. I thought the author does a very good job of presenting her main characters as real people.

I know this is meant for young adults but I found myself feeling quite awkward reading all the passages where nudity is involved and where babies come from. And in the future babies are born in labs where love and co
Heather
Jun 08, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
I really liked the beginning, but I did not love the book as a whole. The premise was fabulous, but I felt frustrated that so little was explained. As a result, many aspects of the world didn't make sense to me. Also, I was completely disturbed by the exploitation of the young girls and the (discretely) mentioned rape of one of these preteens. Although the characters are preteens, the situations (rape, murder, kidnapping, exploitation, etc.) are probably only for older teens. However, I don't kn ...more
Feb 27, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very much into this book, but I found the ending too rushed to give this any more than three stars overall. I don't know if there is to be a second book, I guess there's scope for one. Anyway, the whole book was pretty cool. There were robo raptors and an electronic wombat, feral boys, feral men, a world mainly void of girls, a plague, poisoned food, bombs, a new take on the Eco warrior! Plenty of interesting stuff going on. A short novel worthy of your time.
Judy
Sep 22, 2010 Judy added it
Even though he is half dead, Callum is lucky. It is Bo's roboraptor who finds him--not the rogue Outstationers from whom the boy has escaped. But even as Bo nurses Callum back to health, the Outstationers are homing in. The two barely escape capture when Callum discovers something incredible: Bo is a girl, maybe the last girl in a world in which females are thought to be
Reluctant readers -survival FIC Murray 334352
Shul
Aug 28, 2011 Shul rated it liked it
The beginning of this book was good, the setting was interesting. However, as I continued to read, I found myself thinking that this book would have been better as an adult novel or at least have a much higher rating to be whole. A lot of places in it seemed lacking because it's written for young teens. I also thought the ending was a little weak, but I think that young teens would enjoy this novel very much.
Nova
Sep 21, 2014 Nova rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story set in the future where women are virtually extinct but are 'farmed' on a secret island.
Callum has been separated from his fathers and on his way back to find them he meets Bo, a resourceful girl. Together they travel back home, running into and escaping from various disenfranchised people. This is a good read for 11 to 16 year olds.
Julia
Sep 15, 2015 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute novel.

The beginning dragged out way too long and then all the "action" happened in the last few pages.

And the ending was just yawn...

No excitement.

Which is sad because it had soo much potential to be great. :(
Leonie
Oct 13, 2014 Leonie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 18yo daughter recommended this to me. Up until about halfway i was rating it a 5 but was disappointed with the last half when some really interesting characters got introduced but didn't make it through the rest of the story.
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it it was ok
My mistake; I thought I was requesting a regular war-torn survivalist novel, but then it showed up on the shelf with a science fiction tag and consequently bored me to tears with its dystopia.
Pam Saunders
Dec 28, 2014 Pam Saunders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
What would the world be like if there were no girls? In Vulture's Gate Kristy explores this theme and also has created a fast paced adventure. Includes wonderful robot character's too.

Jamie
May 02, 2010 Jamie added it
Shelves: 14-16, dystopia, adventure
Lots of good adventure, even though the plot (all girls are gone, or ARE they?) has been done a lot already. Probably a sequel to follow. Not a lot of background/world building though.
Joel A.
Oct 12, 2010 Joel A. rated it really liked it
as is typical for the last several gender/sex apocalypse stories, this one--ostensibly meant for teens--is far more honest and emotionally engaged than so many of the ones for adults.
Jenny
Jul 27, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-ya
Futuristic, apocolyptic. An excellent, powerful beginning that develops into a compelling though not quite as tense as expected story. Over all, entertaining and well done.
Alissa
Aug 14, 2011 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good. I would have liked a little bit more detail about the world the characters are in, but we only know what they know, which isn't very much.
luiloth
May 20, 2010 luiloth rated it it was amazing
I was curious about the title since it was not mentioned in the book. Now I know that a grouping of vultures is called a wake of vultures. Good title for a good book.
Ginny
Jun 29, 2010 Ginny rated it it was ok
rather contrived
began well - got worse - ended badly
read like a 'B' movie
full of cliches
Amanda Curtin
Feb 28, 2013 Amanda Curtin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dystopian world in which girls are extinct and Gaia is worshipped by a gang of murderous men...
Mitch Sutton
Jun 29, 2011 Mitch Sutton rated it it was amazing
kinda boring at first but the action really picks up later on
Hunter Lytle
Apr 22, 2014 Hunter Lytle rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!
Okie
Sep 04, 2010 Okie rated it it was amazing
Fabulous READ!
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Rica
Rica marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
  • The Dreamwalker's Child
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Memory Boy (Memory Boy, #1)
  • A Small Free Kiss in the Dark
  • Truancy (Truancy, #1)
  • Forget You (Demon Underground #4.5)
  • Nomansland
  • Finding You
  • The Haunting of Pico
  • Also Known as Rowan Pohi
  • The Day the World Ended (Extinction, #1)
  • Pastworld
  • Town
  • Loathing Lola
  • The Trouble With Dating Sue (Grover Beach Team, #6)
  • X Isle
  • Star Split
  • Epitaph Road
19157
Kirsty Murray is an author of nineteen books for young people. She has been a Creative Fellow of the State Library of Victoria, an Asialink Literature Resident in South India and writer-in-residence at the University of Himachal Pradesh. Her tribe of grown up-kids live all around the world so she travels a lot to catch up with them. She lives in Melbourne in a big old ramshackle house with an over ...more
More about Kirsty Murray...