Start by marking “The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes” as Want to Read:
The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes

The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes Collections #2)

4.72 of 5 stars 4.72  ·  rating details  ·  15,688 ratings  ·  378 reviews
The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes, is a large-format treasury of the cartoons from Yukon Ho! and Weirdos from Another Planet! (including full-color Sunday cartoons) plus a full-color original story unique to this collection. Millions of readers have enjoyed the tremendous talent of Bill Watterson. His skill as both artist and writer brings to life a boy, his tiger, and t ...more
Published January 1st 1990 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

Every time I try to read in bed, this happens:

Jason Koivu
I was a teen and I was loving The Far Side, but then I found Calvin and Hobbes, and it was like going from sociology class to philosophy.

I'm not saying one was better than the other. I'm saying I felt like I was taking college classes, and I was loving it!

These strips weren't about hitting you over the head with gags. They were nuanced takes on life. Watterson took a subtle approach to pointing out people's foibles. If you were the least bit reflective, you could see yourself in Calvin. Some pr
Laura Leaney
If I'd have met Calvin in second grade, we'd still be married. It's really hard to find a good boy with a tiger.
This gets 4 stars, not because the content is bad but because there's quite a bit of overlap between this and the last Calvin and Hobbes I read, i.e. the Tenth Anniversary Book. But there was still much to amuse and delight.
The comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes" was, and continues to be, like the best gifts, unexpected and undeserved. It touches all the bases, from highbrow, considerably exclusive wit, to pricelessly rendered slapstick, to flat-out potty humor, to laugh-out-loud (loud!) knockout punchlines, and then every now and then for good measure it would either make you cry or question your very existence.

It's impossible not to adore Calvin, a true testament to Watterson's characterization skills when you consi
I love, love, love Calvin & Hobbes. Reading this, seeing the expressions on Calvin's face or the grimaces & scowls on his parents' faces just makes me all kinds of happy. It's going into that world that is Calvin's imagination that takes me back to my own childhood years where everything was possible that makes me happy & glowy. Bill Waterson's a genius. He captured what it's like being a kid with an overactive imagination & expanded on the idea with his own imagination & tal ...more
5.0 stars. Second only to Gary Larson's "The Far Side" as my favorite cartoon series of all time. Always clever, always funny and always leaves you in a better mood.
Robert Horne
What else can I say? Part artist, part superhero, part ladies man. Calvin has the style that the ladies are beggin for...and his tiger is pretty fly too.

Imagination is a wonderful thing
This is my all time favorite childhood couple!

If you don't like Calvin and Hobbes, I question your judgment and I don't think we can be friends. That is all.
Classic Hilariously Intelligent Comic Strip Collection.
Paul Darcy
by Bill Watterson, published in 1988.

Every time I sit down and start reading my daughter Calvin and Hobbes, I just can’t help smiling out loud. There is something so true, so funny, so insightful about this comic strip it gets under your skin and tickles you from inside.

My daughter loves it too. This collection, The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes, includes all the comics from “Yukon Ho!” and “Weirdos From Another Planet!” and is fantastic. But don’t let me tell you, just go out and get it and r
This book is about a six year old boy and his best friend (who is a stuffed tiger) Hobbes. This duo spells trouble. Calvin thinks Hobbes is real but he is a stuffed animal but Calvin pretends to make Hobbes do things and his mom gets mad at Calvin but he blames it on Hobbes!

Calvin isn't good in school because he never does his homework and in the class room he is always fantasizing about "Spaceman Spiff". Calvin is a pretender, He pretends to turn himself into an elephant with his transmogrifier
Life is better with Calvinball in it; since I met Stupendous man, learned of the Transmogrifier and the power of one's imagination.

Summer is approaching and there's never been a better time to take C&H and start reading :)

One of my favorite all time Sunday comic strips. This little boy, Calvin, with his spiked hair and imagination the size of the world, struck a chord with me.
I wasn't familiar with Calvin & Hobbes growing up; like Ramona Quimby, Calvin is "not a good influence". ;-) I've seen a few of the strips around, but never in much context. So this book was something of a learning experience.

Unlike Ramona, whose popularity is (imo) mainly due to her being an accurate and realistic little kid, Calvin is a caricature, but an equally accurate and lovable one in his own style. His Ramona-to-the-Snoopyth-power imagination lets the writer dabble in many different
This is the comic that relates the adventures of Calvin and his toy tiger, Hobbes. Hobbes is seen by Calvin's parents as a plush toy and by Calvin and the reader as a pouncing and amiable "real" tiger — Calvin's slightly-more-sensible better half.

I enjoyed the early years of this comic but then it started to get too something. I don't know what. Too rote, maybe. A little preachy, perhaps. Plus, I started seeing those awful Calvin peeing on a Ford/Chevy symbol bumper stickers everywhere. (I have
Marius Paulsen
This was awesome! Love calvin and hobbes, they have been a part of my life since i was a kid. Totally made my sunday night ^^
Why is it that whenever I'm feeling a little low, all I have to do is pull one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the shelf and give it a good re-read to perk me up. I've many other "funny-books", but these are the ones that bring me most joy.
Then, a little after I am done, I start re-realizing that Watterson will probably never do any more, then I get sad again.
I'm very grateful for what I have... and I'll re-read them as many times as I need... I just wish there were more.
OK, now I'm feelin
Amy Jones
If you ask me, the greatest comic strip of all time.
One of the most perceptive, thought-provoking, and truly funny cartoon strips ever created! Watterson not only nails life, he's hilarious. He addresses everything from philosophy to film noir. I was actually saddened when I learned he was quitting the strip! Thank goodness we've got his books to recall. Life, art, literature, philosophy, friendship, imagination, evil -- you name it, Calvin and his toy tiger take it on. Add this book to The Essential Calvin and Hobbes and you'll have most of the ...more
Mrs.Fawnda Messmer
I give Calvin and Hobbes credit for developing my vocabulary. When I was younger, if I didn't get a scene, I'd look up the confusing words, then reread the strip multiple times until I finally got every nuance of how the word was used. Although I now rarely use the words "myriad" or "adversary" or "tranquility" in everyday conversation, I'll never forget how smart I felt when I finally understood Calvin's ranting after learning those words.
This is among the books published by Bill Watterson from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that I have enjoyed. My children have literally worn out these collections of C&H comics, and with good reason. C&H is a unique blend of homespun philosophy, side-splitting humor, and insight into the human (child and adult) condition. Watterson's insights into, and sly digs at, various social, familial, and other institutions of modern life are masterful.
Never fully understood, but this is my childhood.
I own a bunch of these, and I truly feel like they serve the purpose of a family photo. They're beautifully insightful works that say so much in so little time.
I can appreciate something that stands the test of time (childhood to adulthood),
and even if there are some things I just don't get, it's part of growing up, and in time, I'm sure I'll understand more and more.
I have to agree with Calvin in one of the comic strips where he's listening to the radio when that song about Santa Clause seeing you when you sleeping and knowing when your awake tuns on and Calvin turns it off an says "Santa Clause: Kindly old elf or CIA spook? These comic strips have entertained me for years no matter what mood I was in. I have always loved and continue loving this series.
This was the first Calvin and Hobbes collection I read. It was fourth grade and I obtained my own copy last year around Christmas. I've found that as I get older and wiser in some ways, the strip has more resonance and hilarity. Of the comic strip in general, it touches on the deepest roots of human nature, it is uplifting, it is contemplative,it's exquisite.
I learned that no matter the age, it's still a great book to read. read some of it when i was young, didn't understand it then, because of the wide range of vocab Watterson used, and when i was younger, i thought Hobbes was a real tiger! now as i grow older, he's becoming more of the fake toy tiger now, although he still retains that character. i hate growing up
Calvin is always fun to read, and this book is no exception. Classic strips include the one where Calvin's dad tells Calvin the story about "the hydraulic pump (fig. 1), the wheel shaft flange (fig. 2) and the evil patent infringement", and a couple of years' worth of camping strips (it rained for a week!). Plenty of fun to be had here.
SJ Loria
One of my favorite books and topics to discuss with young, bright, creative and slightly rebellious kids is Calvin and Hobbes. It's one of those "kid's books" that really isn't. It's more social commentary, a respectable homage at the altar of childhood, and a celebration of imagination than anything else. Simply brilliant.
Bill Watterson captured the world through the eyes of a little boy who loves his pet stuffed tiger. Calvin tries to see the world as his playground and with the help of Hobbes (his stuffed tiger) he helps us see the humor in the unlikeliest places. A joy to read and share with those that see the humor in little things.
Discussion board 8 33 Jun 29, 2014 11:21PM
  • Beyond The Far Side
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • Foxtrotius Maximus
  • It's Obvious You Won't Survive by Your Wits Alone
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes Collections (8 books)
  • The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury