Start by marking “The Edge of Eden” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Eden

The Edge of Eden

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  18 reviews
“Not since Lord of the Flies has a novelist written with such perceptiveness about the potential for harm that lurks within the innocence of childhood.”—Paula Sharp, author of Crows over a Wheatfield

"A wonderful novel and a true page-turner, a vivid story."—Joan Silber, author of The Size of the World

“Reminiscent of Evelyn Waugh in its biting satire and Somerset Maugham.
Published November 1st 2009 by Soho Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Eden

Silvia
I really enjoyed this book. It's the best one I read based in the Seychelles: such a good story, brilliant characters, various different plots and themes, and - most surprising of all - a serious account of the less obvious consequences of the Second World War in the younger British generation. Great read, I'd recommend it to anyone who'd like to know more about the islands, is interested in British colonialism, or simply an entertaining family story.
Sara
A perfectly engaging story, but not, as promised by my local bookseller, well-written, Woolfian prose. Okay, admittedly, promising that I'll like a book because it's like Woolf sets the bar pretty high for me, and so maybe I went into it with unfair expectations, but I actually found this book to be surprisingly poorly written. I kept feeling like I could see the machinations of Benedict's prose, as she worked extra hard to make sure all the plot pieces fit together: The people tasked to watch t ...more
Kristin
Sadly, because I didn't think this book was absolutely great, the review has been shelved and likely won't be published. So, here it is:

Helen Benedict’s paradisial edge is as rugged and complex as the borders of her characters’ native islands. The most apparent dark side of eden is the negative affects of colonialism on both the colonized and the colonizers. But Benedict’s fiction also does not hide from the very real contrasting sides to love—jealosy, hate, regret—and the depth of the affects o
Kristin
I wanted to like this book more. The setting was exotic and the plot got into a little of the island culture. I think the story would have been more engaging with a few less characters and more editing. As it was, the arc of the story was rather flat and predictable. It didn't help that I listened to this book read by a narrator who, while creative in her voices, came across as rather stuck up during the whole of her reading.
Lindalee
Donna
This novel follows the break-up of a marriage, which occurs after a family relocation from England to the Seychelles. Unfortunately the location provides the only real excitement of the novel. Whilst some of the supporting characters are of some interest, the main characters are two-dimensional. As this is a character-driven story, the failing of these central characters leads to the failure of the novel as a whole. Disappointing, as the novelist describes the locale wonderfully!
Paula Hebert
this is a really interesting take on the fish out of water theme. we watch a very unlikable english family, including their two very young daughters, disintegrate after being relocated by the home office to an equatorial island between madagascar and india. combined with voodoo, racial stigma, and an excellent grasp of the native culture, it is really good story, and keeps your interest throughout.
Linda
I liked this book much better than the two stars would suggest. Its is a real page turner and kept me in suspense. I absorbed the feel of the location, and ms Benedict was excellent with putiing you in the place of an ex-patriot in an exotic locale. The characters were not well developed and the plot line was disjointed. I would call this a great "pass the time read."
Allyson
I thought this book a true page-turner and was not at all sure how it would end. Zara and Marguerite were very well developed characters and the author had fine descriptive skills. I felt I was right there living the story. The date of 1960 seemed incongrous but there were many such aspects that could have been better, but I quite enjoyed it.
Alice
A family can't seem to stop itself from making the mistakes of their parents, no matter how often they swear not to. Displace the family in a tropical climate - throw in some very exotic natives, and you've got this book. Not bad, but nothing felt resolved at the end.
Joe
Fascinating story of a British family relocated to The Seychelles islands in the 1960s
What happens to a conservative British politician and his wife when they move to a tropical island..talk about Island Fever. Add in jealousy, sex and intrigue.
Andrea
This was only ok. It was a fairly interesting story, but it had way too much sexual content for my taste.

I finished it thinking... so... what? Not my favorite. Wouldn't recommend it... sorry!
Linda
Well, I read 177 of the 301 pages in this book and decided that I just didn't want to read anymore! I wasn't really interested in the characters or the story. Very disappointing. Time to move on!!
Michelle
The atmosphere was nearly oppressive - it follows a displaced English family that is basically a train wreck in the making. I found the oldest daughter annoying as well as the husband.
Denny Stein
Lyrical and insightful descriptions of the Seychelles combine with a torpid atmosphere of deceit, magic, and misunderstanding to create a marvelous read. Highly recommend.
Ann

Beautiful descriptions of the Seychelles but the end of the book was unfulfilling and generally a disappointment.
Elly Wendy
Fascinating, hard to put down.
An extraordinary book, an education for me.
Janics
Mar 24, 2011 Janics added it
It was okay.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
breanna
breanna marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Katia Savchuk
Katia Savchuk marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Jeniann
Jeniann marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Vicki
Vicki added it
Jan 03, 2015
Rochelle
Rochelle marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Abby T
Abby T marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Helen Benedict is an award-winning novelist and writer of nonfiction. Her sixth and newest novel, Sand Queen, is to be published by Soho Press in August, 2011. The novel tells the story of a young female soldier and an Iraqi woman caught up in the Iraq War.

Publisher’s Weekly called Sand Queen “a thrilling and thoughtful new novel.” Booklist said, “Funny, shocking, painful, and, at times, deeply d
More about Helen Benedict...
The Lonely Soldier: The Private War of Women Serving in Iraq Sand Queen The Opposite of Love Virgin or Vamp The Sailor's Wife