Start by marking “The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook

The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook

As featured in the book and movie Forks Over Knives!

By greatly simplifying the work involved in preparing healthy, whole food, exciting meals, bestselling authors Dr. John McDougall and Mary McDougall continue to build upon the success of their acclaimed, low-fat and plant based McDougall Program books. In this latest edition, they share their secrets for lowering choleste
Published April 1st 1999 by Plume (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook

Rosalind
Jul 01, 2013 Rosalind rated it it was ok
I am a cookbook collector. I absolutely LOVE cookbooks, but I'm sad to say this is one that I do not enjoy. I have tried several of the recipes, and none of them have been worth making again. I commend the authors on their program and their wholesome nutritious recipes. I often omit oil and use water for sautéing when possible, which is what all the recipes in this cookbook do, and recipes I've tried from other sources come out fabulous. I have found the recipes to be rather bland, and this is c ...more
Xanthi
Jan 13, 2015 Xanthi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives you exactly what it says in the title: quick and easy recipes that are low fat. And apart from the inclusion of honey in some recipes, they are vegan. None of recipes are fancy or include too many ingredients or any that are overly exotic. Some of the dishes may be too bland for some, whilst others are just right.
If you have read some of the other McDougall books, you may have come across some of these recipes before, and the 'no-fry in oil' techniques. It is still worth having
Marshall
Aug 08, 2010 Marshall rated it liked it
McDougall makes it easy to cook vegan, low-fat meals. I read The McDougall Program and the effectiveness of this simple program for weight loss and health impressed me. I would highly recommend reading that book first, but this is a great addendum, for quick and easy vegan meals. It may sound weird to say I "read a cookbook," but I skimmed the recipes, while a quarter of this book consists of 1-page summaries of the McDougall philosophy. These summaries may seem more like rants, though, since he ...more
Oct 18, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
This book completely delivers on its promise, in the sense that all the meals are very quick and very easy. It follows the Mcdougall health plan (which I'm not on), so it's vegetarian and oil and dairy free. It wasn't that inspired (mainly combining cans of vegetables and some seasonings), but the soups and stews were good.

Aspects of the diet plan are included, and I could see where you'd lose weight on it - you can pretty much eat anything but animals, animal products and oil. I wasn't clear wh
Karen
Dec 27, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Some really good looking recipes that I will try: Summer Fettuccine & Spicy Mongolian Noodles.
Kathi Clark
Mar 13, 2016 Kathi Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite vegan cookbook. Everything is easy and tastes good. It relies on a lot of canned and frozen products to make preparation as simple as possible. All the ingredients are easily found in a regular grocery store.
Martha Smith
Jul 11, 2014 Martha Smith rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I love the recipes in this book. I also love the recipes from John McDougall's news letter. Wonderfully easy recipes. You can always add more spices or omit anything you don't care for. Brilliant, low-fat, vegan and quick!
Susan Erhardt
Nov 19, 2011 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
Quick and easy tasty vegan recipes, though the subtitle is not really correct. How can you prepare a recipe in 15 minutes or less if it takes 20 minutes to cook? Unless they mean that the prep work is 15 minutes or less?
Nikki
Jun 18, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, cook-books
Lots of great vegan, plant based, lowfat recipes, and the ones I tried were definitely a success. The information contained in the book was quite good too. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Brit B
Nov 27, 2012 Brit B rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan
I used this book a lot in my transition from vegetarian to veganism. Most recipes are quick and easy with things you can find in most grocery stores. Great for new vegans and people looking to eat healthy!
Lindsay
Feb 27, 2009 Lindsay rated it it was ok
These recipes really are quick and easy...a little TOO easy for me, but this cookbook would be great for someone who does not have very much cooking experience.
Liz
Jan 23, 2008 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-cooking
I believe in his health theories but I just can't give up meat completely! The recipes in the book are a bit too hard core vegan for me.

Kate Merriman
Jun 05, 2011 Kate Merriman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-body-spirit
Even easy enough for when I'm super busy! Great ideas in here, format is very useful.
Jeanette
Dec 06, 2009 Jeanette rated it really liked it
love the recipes in this book! bea (huge meatatarian will even rat them!)
Therat
Jun 05, 2011 Therat rated it it was amazing
A great cookbook for Vegans with added healthy tips!
Ricki
Jan 24, 2008 Ricki rated it it was amazing
I use this cookbook all the time! It's a life saver.
Pghgranola
Jun 29, 2008 Pghgranola rated it it was amazing
even my little one loves these recipes!!
Laurie
May 07, 2013 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Great info for those contemplating going vegan.
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Teresa masters
Teresa masters rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Valeria
Valeria marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Matthew McCormick
Matthew McCormick marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Lauren Breslin
Lauren Breslin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Judith Barnes
Judith Barnes rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Danielle Rourke
Danielle Rourke marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2016
Rebecca Lovin
Rebecca Lovin marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • The China Study Cookbook: The Official Companion to the China Study (Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes)
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Vegan Express
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook: Over 125 Delicious, Life-Changing, Plant-Based Recipes
  • The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps
  • The Chinese Vegan Kitchen: More Than 225 Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from the Culinary Regions o f China
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
John A. McDougall (Born 1947) is an American Irish physician and author whose philosophy is that degenerative disease can be prevented and treated with a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based/vegan diet – especially one based on starches such as potatoes, rice, and corn – which excludes all animal foods and added vegetable oils.
More about John A. McDougall...