Start by marking “Kick Ass: Selected Columns of Carl Hiaasen” as Want to Read:
Kick Ass: Selected Columns of Carl Hiaasen

Kick Ass: Selected Columns of Carl Hiaasen

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  465 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Readers who love Carl Hiaasen's off-the-wall novels won't want to miss this outrageous, eclectic collection of his notorious Miami Herald columns. His unique and passionate essays prove that the facts can indeed be stranger than fiction...
Published September 13th 2009 by University Press of Florida (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Kick Ass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kick Ass

Edward
Dec 13, 2009 Edward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply cannot say anything bad about this collection of Hiaasen's best Miami Herald columns. It is sad, funny and angry all at the same time. Hiaasen is clearly a meticulous researcher, and that allows him to simply skewer just about everything about South Florida government and politics with the steady hand of someone who has all the facts and knows that things are even worse than they seem.

Steve
Nov 11, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Most reviews of this book, including the cover blurbs, note the direct connection between the characters in Hiaasen's novels and the crazy "only in Florida" true stories that populate particularly the first section of this book. And there is plenty of kookiness to go around, but the part that captivated me was the environmentalism, and Hiaasen's passion for Florida's wild places. These themes also come through in his novels, but come from his experience and the (mostly tragic) history of souther ...more
Linda
Jul 09, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As always, he is magnificent. Unfortunately, with all of those editorials, the problems in Miami and the stupidity of the state legislature just keep on happening. This really my second reading of the book. This book would be a great gift to anyone who is interested in local politics. I can't believe there aren't some places where some of this stuff isn't going on. Football stadiums, bribes to building inspectors, etc. And this is not fiction, which also writes and is very funny.

Second reading,
Bryce Wilson
May 27, 2009 Bryce Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the world's greatest raconteurs doing what he does best. Namely stirring the shit of politics and society at large while reveling in a sense of disbelief, absurdity and righteous anger.

Somewhat esoteric (He writes about ALOT of minor politicians from the eighties) but rewarding none the less.
Keith Fillmore
Might just be me, but I was bored silly. Big fan of Carl's fiction, particularly the young adult books like "Hoot". The columns, however, were hard to get into. The rants get old especially since there was no follow-up, so you don't know how things ended. I skipped about half of the book (like the stuff about politics) and ended up reading mostly the articles about wildlife and the destruction of the environment.
Eliana
Consistently one of the funniest writers out there. Always enjoy his books! But this is a collection of his editorials. Scathingly funny, witheringly dry commentary on Florida politics make up the bulk of these articles.
Josh Liller
Apr 10, 2013 Josh Liller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hiaasen is a much beloved and highly successful Florida writer famous for skewering the stupidity and absurdities of South Florida. So I was quite surprised when this collection of his newspaper columns bored the hell out of me. This was possibly my first ever exposure to Hiassen's writing; I may have read his column a few times before, but I've definitely never read any of his novels. Much like the film "In Bruges" I felt like this was something I should like and it just fell completely flat. S ...more
Martha
Oct 30, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always loved his columns in the Miami Herald and missed reading them when I moved to Boston. So reading, rather skimming and reading, some of the columns sort of caught me up in what happened after I left in 1987. The Fla. story is so depressing. The astronomical growth that they can't manage, the environment going to shambles, the water, the Everglades, the wildlife moving toward extinction b/c of greed = growth.
Alexis
Dec 28, 2007 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone/ everyone
Shelves:
I'm going to florida in March and I always like to read about the culture of where I'm traveling. I'm excited about the den of thieves and Mafiosos and illegal immigrants that I will encounter on my travels. oh yeah, and gun toting grandmas too! Carl Hiassen is hilarious and pretty uch everything he writes is worth reading.
Greg Howard
I learned very quickly in this collection of Hiaasen's newpaper columns, that I really prefer his novels. Too much preaching and not enough whimsy. Although, I'll admit, there's plenty of problems in South Florida for Hiaasen to preach about.
Joyce
May 06, 2008 Joyce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Corruption is rampant everywhere. Sometimes it is good to be reminded that people don't change much and neither do politicians. Hiaasen is a joy to read, but it would have been better had I read this when it came out, instead of years later.
Lori
Jul 10, 2014 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carl tells it like it is. great source of some Florida history. especially liked the later sections on the Everglades and Florida growth in general.
Chi Dubinski
Readers who love Carl Hiaasen's off-the-wall novels won't want to miss this

Barry Cooke
Jul 24, 2014 Barry Cooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good collection of Newspaper columns written over the years by the author outlining the greed & corruption of the authorities in Florida.
Lisa
May 26, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carl Hiaasen is hilarious. This is a great bathroom book! His newspaper articles are short and a great laugh. I truly love a smart ass.....
Katie
I never finished the whole book. Hiaasen is a great writer, but reading all the entries got boring.
Matty O'rourke
Aug 09, 2012 Matty O'rourke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don't understand how Miami works, this will certainly enlighten!
Andrea
Mar 28, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another hilarious and thought-provoking collection of essays by Carl Hiaasen.
J. D.
Aug 24, 2014 J. D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A treat, as usual, to see Carl Hiaasen trash Florida politicians.
Joe
Jul 07, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
buy own keep reread do not lend.
Julie
Carla
Dec 22, 2007 Carla marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
want to read it!
Christine Clack
Christine Clack marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
maurice floden
maurice floden rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Ron Judenberg
Ron Judenberg marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
FW Grannis
FW Grannis rated it it was amazing
Natalia Sheridan
Natalia Sheridan marked it as to-read
Vicki
Vicki added it
Feb 04, 2016
  • Truth and Consequences: Special Comments on the Bush Administration's War on American Values
  • The Santaland Diaries / Season's Greetings: 2 Plays
  • Virgin Heat
  • Breaking the Sound Barrier
  • Gator A-Go-Go (Serge Storms, #12)
  • The Everglades: River of Grass
  • The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup: My Encounters With Extraordinary People
  • Gumbo Limbo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • Bones of Coral
  • Burn This Book: PEN Writers Speak Out on the Power of the Word
  • Bertram Cope's Year
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • The Gang That Wouldn't Write Straight: Wolfe, Thompson, Didion, Capote, and the New Journalism Revolution
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida, where he still lives with his family. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live in southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen...