Start by marking “Spooky Little Girl” as Want to Read:
Spooky Little Girl

Spooky Little Girl

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  2,800 Ratings  ·  411 Reviews
Death is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.

Coming home from a Hawaiian vacation with her best girlfriends, Lucy Fisher is stunned to find everything she owns tossed out on her front lawn, the locks changed, and her fiancé’s phone disconnected—plus she’s just lost her job. With her world spinning wildly out of her control, Lucy decides to make a new start an
Published April 13th 2010 by Villard (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spooky Little Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spooky Little Girl

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
360th out of 1,218 books — 10,669 voters
Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
You Want to Read in 2010
249th out of 1,085 books — 2,022 voters

More lists with this book...

Trin
Feb 21, 2010 Trin rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, american-lit
Oh, this is bad. Familiar, old-fashioned, college creative writing course bad. The plot makes no sense, the characterization is thin or muddled, and the prose ranges from workmanlike to borderline incompetent. For example, here is one page (p. 239) of dialogue attributions:

Isis explained
Nola gave in
Nola said sharply
Isis investigated
(this one’s totally my favorite!)
Isis continued
Nola confirmed
the psychic requested
Nola replied
Isis queried

“I think someone needed a more thorough editor,” Trin said.
faeriemyst
Poor Lucy Fisher. Just when she thinks she can go home and relax from a crummy vacation, she finds all her belongings tossed out onto the lawn of the house she shares with her fiance, and to top that off, she then loses her job. The last thing she needs is to be hit by a bus and left to be scraped up by an over-sized spatula (I don't envy whoever has to do that!).

After a slow build-up, the book finally came alive (so to speak) for me at the half-way point, along with the help of her grandmother,
Colin
Jun 17, 2010 Colin rated it really liked it
I really like Laurie Notaro's writing. Sure, I am the completely wrong target audience and when I went to her reading at Powells recently, I may have been one of the only few guys in the audience. But Laurie's writing is funny regardless of your gender.

One of the perks of writing fiction as opposed to non-fiction/memoir like Laurie's previous books is that she is allowed to exaggerate the characters she uses in the story. This helps make them more memorable like Nola who is obsessed with gross
Punk
Apr 03, 2011 Punk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, ebook
Dippy Paranormal Chicklit. Dental hygienist Lucy Fisher dies suddenly, gets sent to ghost school, and then is returned to earth as a ghost to complete an assignment no one bothers to explain to her. Or us.

I am holding my head here. I don't know where to start. Laurie Notaro writes snappy, sharp humor essays and, apparently, slow, unfunny novels. This is a mess. The writing's repetitious and contradictory. Halfway through, the POV snaps an axle and starts weaving all over the road and sidewalk. T
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 25, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
This book was much better than I'd initially expected. A comedic and original paranormal fantasy, Spooky Little Girl is a great book and definitely one worth reading.
dixie
Jan 05, 2011 dixie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of dark humor
I picked this up on a whim at the book store, thinking it looked interesting. I put off starting it, for one reason or another, but once I finally started it, I couldn't set it down.

This book amazed me in a couple of different ways. It's rare for me to review a book with a complete lack of reservation, but I feel almost as if Laurie Notaro climbed into my brain and started writing down everything I feel. Lucy does not dwell on the idea of death, but is focusing on putting her life back together
Kathy
Dec 20, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Laurie has always had the magic touch when it comes to storytelling. This is her best effort yet. It is themed around death, the afterlife, ghosts and unfinished business. But this isn't your usual haunted story - it is presented "Laurie-style" - which means plenty of laughs and clever, unpredictable action. But what I loved the most is that it has so much heart in it. Anyone who has ever lost a loved parent, grandparent, sibling, friend, even a pet will feel comfort and lightness after reading ...more
Karen
May 22, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
Another awesome book by Laurie Notaro. I loved the characters, loved the story. Lucy Fisher returns home from a vacation with friends to find her fiance has tossed all of her belongings onto the lawn and changed the locks on their house. Lucy's life, and death, take an incredible journey. Loved Ghost School!
Cursingmama
Apr 20, 2010 Cursingmama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewer, first-reads
I loved this book. Well written with a very unique story line you just never know whats coming next, and because of that you just CAN NOT put it down. One really late night was all it took to read it,and then laying awake afterwords thinking about it.
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
Lucy Fisher is having a very bad day. She's just returned from her dream vacation in Hawai'i (which was actually more like the vacation from hell) and finds her dog locked in the house and the locks to the house changed. Her fiancé isn't answering his phone and, oh yeah, the front lawn of her house is littered with every single one of her possessions. Including her wedding dress, which Lucy has to wrestle out of the grubby hands of a passing bag lady. Finding a temporary refuge at the home of he ...more
Traci
May 24, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of Notaro's essay collections, and I always love them. I've also read her previous novel, which was pretty darn good, albeit obviously autobiographical to an extent. I had no qualms picking up this second novel, but I was a bit surprised.
Lucy is an obvious Notaro-type character. Everything is all about her: her job, her friends, her fiance. She's one of those people that's always talking about themselves and not often listening to what's going on with someone else. But she does h
Alice Bola
Oct 27, 2011 Alice Bola rated it really liked it
I love Laurie Notaro. I do. Even before I knew who Jen Lancaster was, I was getting splitting stitches in my side from laughing at her misadventures since The Idiot Girls’ Action-Adventure Club. Also, I am totally addicted to the TV show Ghost Adventures; so if Laurie Notaro and Ghost Adventures had a love child, it would be Spooky Little Girl.

This is by far the funniest book I have read so far this year. I chose this novel because I needed one with a size in the title for the What’s in a Name?
Doug
Dec 20, 2010 Doug rated it it was ok
I found Spooky Little Girl frustrating. It’s not that it’s bad, exactly, but I feel like there’s a much stronger and sharper book stuck inside it. It offers a nifty reversal on a traditional ghost story plot driver: instead of the living figuring out why they are being haunted, Lucy has to figure out why she’s haunting the living. Unfortunately the story is bogged down by dense masses of unneeded exposition and trite imagery (the milieu of the afterlife à la Notaro seems to owe a lot to films li ...more
Melki
Jul 19, 2011 Melki rated it liked it
Though I'm a big fan of Laurie Notaro's comic essays, this book, her second novel, was disappointing. I'm thinking she fell asleep watching "Beetlejuice", and dreamed up this plot. Like the Tim Burton movie, Notaro's book features bureaucracy after death, classes in "how to be a ghost" led by a sassy old broad and disgruntled spirits with their knickers in a twist due to the atrocious redecorating schemes perpetrated on their beloved homes by the thoughtless "living". And a-haunting we will go!

T
Karen Germain
Sep 14, 2010 Karen Germain rated it did not like it
I love Laurie Notaro and have read all of her books. “Spooky Little Girl” is the first Notaro book that I really disliked. I felt like it was riddled with problems. None of the characters, with the exception of the Dog, Tulip, were likeable. Not only where they impossible to like, but I couldn’t even understand why most of them would be friends. It just didn’t work.

The story centers around Lucy Fischer, a self absorbed dental hygienist, whose Fiancé mysteriously kicks her out of the house when s
Lara
It took a little while for this book to hook me; I wasn't sure how much I liked Lucy, the main character, at first, and I didn't feel like the afterlife stuff was all that original. But by the end of the story, I found I cared about Lucy, and wanted to know why things had turned out the way they had for her. I found I even cared about what happened with her ex-fiancee Martin, and her best friend Jilly, and her sister Alice, and her dog Tulip. And even if the afterlife stuff wasn't all that origi ...more
Chana
It is so nice to read something light-hearted and sweet for a change. I thoroughly enjoyed this book; I wanted to give it a hug and say thanks for making me smile instead of cry.
Everything starts going wrong for Lucy; her fiancé throws her out without explanation, she is accused of embezzling and stealing drugs at work and consequently loses her job, she gets flattened by a city bus on the way to the unemployment office and ends up as a "surprise demise" in ghost school.
I recommend this book i
Erin
Sep 01, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Perfect summer read, litter than expected. Once I got into her character, I wanted to know what happened. It should be an interesting book club discussion.
Mitzi
Feb 10, 2011 Mitzi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Awesome book! I loved the story, loved the comedy in it also. Lucy comes home from a her last "girl" vacation since she is getting married in a few months. She comes home to find her stuff in the yard, the locks changed, her dog locked inside the house that she can't get. Her boyfriend won't answer his phone. Then she goes to work & gets fired, she has no where to live, no money so she drives to her sisters house & decides to stay there. She's on the way to the unemployment office and ge ...more
Bree T
Jan 23, 2011 Bree T rated it it was ok
Lucy Fisher has just returned home from what was supposed to be a dream vacation to Hawaii with her two workmates. It didn’t turn out that way at all and she’s just looking forward to getting home – however when she gets there, she finds all her belongings outside the house, stacked up in her truck and on the lawn. She has to fight a homeless person to get her wedding dress back. Confused, she tries her key in the lock and discovers that it doesn’t work. Her fiance Martin is no where to be found ...more
Ryandake
May 12, 2011 Ryandake rated it it was ok
right at the point where the main character Lucy comes home, finds her belongings on the lawn, and the locks rekeyed, she ends up talking to her dog, who is locked in the house that Lucy is locked out of. and she's talking just like people talk to their dogs, full of slobbery endearments and rhetorical questions. and i laughed so much.

but that was just about the last time.

there are some good moments in this book, don't get me wrong. Lucy is a fairly well-realized character (for a comedy), the pl
Ann
Feb 19, 2010 Ann rated it liked it
Adult (teen interest? Maybe, but not a first pick)

A scant eight weeks before her wedding, slightly-flaky dental hygienist Lucy Fisher comes home from a horrible Hawaiian vacation and discovers a homeless lady on her front lawn, trying to stuff Lucy's wedding dress into a garbage bag. In fact, all of her belongings are outside of the house that she shares with her bland fiance, Martin. The next day, Lucy's Umbridge-esque coworker Nola gets her fired. With nowhere else to turn, Lucy leaves her st
Annie
Apr 19, 2015 Annie added it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I enjoyed the plot and it was an interesting comment but everything was left SO undeveloped, from the plot to characters, to concepts. Tell me more about ghost school! Tell me about the ghost rules! The writing is somewhat atrocious as well. To be honest, the idea of ghosts existing is far more believable than any of the characters being actual people.
Melanie
Really loved this book. It was funny and sweet and often sad, but in a way that want depressing. I adored all the characters and their antics, and the cure depictions of what happens after you die were so fun.
Alissa
Apr 26, 2010 Alissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lesley, Diana, Kay, Esther, Jen Gardella
Laurie Notaro is sarcastic, loud, and really, really funny. Her first fiction book kinda, well, it wasn't that great. It was kind of dull and lacked her very strong voice.

But this work of fiction? Freakin' hilarious. I laughed out loud a number of times and screwed up my work schedule today by bringing it to work (you know, to read "during lunch," which apparently was two hours long). Very entertaining and light but not stupid. Les--I'm sending it to you asap. Diana, Les can send it to you after
Sara
I read several of Notaro's humorous memoir/essay books in college. I had no idea she was writing fiction until this book popped up in a random email. Having hugely enjoyed her previous writing, I decided to give it a try.

This book is nothing like those previous books.

I'm not actually sure if it was meant to be a funny book, but I kept waiting, in vain, for something to be hilarious. In fact, by the end of the book, I just felt really depressed for almost everyone.

Pros for reading this book:
1. T
Leslie
Nov 02, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, humor, paranormal
I love Laurie Notaro! I discovered her nonfiction books several years ago and they made me laugh until I cried. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from a novel but since I love Dave Barry's novels I decided to give it a chance and I am so glad I did.

Ghost Girl is tragic, funny, sad and wonderful. I couldn't put it down. I sacrificed my extra hour of sleep to finish the book.

Lucy's life was pleasantly boring. She worked as a dental hygienist, was engaged to her produce manager boyfriend and ow
Kd
Dec 07, 2014 Kd rated it it was amazing
I really am enjoying the book so far. It has a very cute and heart aspect to it. I think this book could have a spin off of the SD school. It's kind of an interesting take on what happens after death. I like the fact that I know she died because of the description so I don't have to worry and feel bad she had to die. It's still a mystery on why the fiancé dumped her so we will see.
I found my self getting frustrated because Lucy couldn't do anything to tell these ppl. Situations that were happen
Brittany
Apr 13, 2014 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, fiction
I really liked this book. Strong concepts of an afterlife with not a word about God or Christianity, thank you! The idea of helping others after you die is fasinating and Notaro makes it entertainingly humorous. The first 50 pages were the hardest to get through. But once the main character met her end I was able to enjoy the storyline much better. At times sentences and specific thoughts were repeated multiple times within a page.

I just keep coming back to the premise of the mid-afterlife, it
Karla
Apr 26, 2010 Karla rated it liked it
I've always liked Notaro's non-fiction (I laughed so hard that I cried reading "The Idiot Girls' Action Adventure Club"), so I picked this up. It reminded me a lot of Christopher Moore, with less of the fifth-grade-boy humor (which, incidentally, I do find funny in some of his books), but the same sort of outlandishness/goofy characters/etc. It was entertaining and quick. Would be a good beach read.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 22, 2015 12:25PM
  • The Thong Also Rises: Further Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • Code Blood
  • Where's My Wand?: One Boy's Magical Triumph over Alienation and Shag Carpeting
  • The Donors
  • It's All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine (A Memoir)
  • You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning
  • Queen of the Oddballs: And Other True Stories from a Life Unaccording to Plan
  • True Confections
  • Autumn Winds (Seasons of the Heart #2)
  • The Spinster Sisters
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
  • Just Like Me, Only Better
  • Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom
  • Witch High
  • The Whole World
  • Flirting in Cars
  • My Fair Lazy: One Reality Television Addict's Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb Ass Is t he New Black, or, a Culture-Up Manifesto
  • Dog House: A Love Story
Laurie Notaro is a New York Times best-selling American writer.
More about Laurie Notaro...

“There were times when, in her fury, she was convinced that she needed to drive down to Phoenix and let him know just how much of a bastard she thought he was, that he needed to know just what he had done. But she eventually realized that with his resounding, silent indifference, nothing she could possibly say would matter to him, and by the same account, he didn't deserve to understand how angry he had made her.

He wasn't good enough to know how much she hated him.”
1 likes