Start by marking “Birds of North America” as Want to Read:
Birds of North America

Birds of North America (Kaufman Field Guides)

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Collects photographs, range maps, and descriptive entries identifying the markings, habits, habitat, and voice of each species.
Published September 1st 2000 by Houghton Mifflin

To ask other readers questions about Birds of North America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of North America

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary by Merriam-WebsterThe Oxford English Dictionary by J.A. SimpsonEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary by A.S. Hornby
Dictionaries
188th out of 237 books — 42 voters
The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen SibleyNational Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds by Miklos D.F. UdvardyNational Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds by National Audubon SocietyThe Sibley Guide to Birds; Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged by David Allen SibleyThe Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior by David Allen Sibley
Best Books for Birders
40th out of 44 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Louis
Dec 04, 2007 Louis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature
About myself: I've been birding for all of three months, not really taking walks for the purpose of birding or making IDs until this past Christmas Bird Count. So I imagine I fall right in the target demographic for this work. My impression of the several times I've built a stack of several guides to look at something I've seen is that the Sibley Guide and its Eastern and Western children compete with the National Geographic Field Guide for the top/experienced birder and comparisons between one ...more
Scott Cox
Jan 18, 2016 Scott Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One can never have enough birding field guide, IMHO. The uniqueness of this guide is that it combines enhanced photographic images (instead of drawings) with "Peterson's arrows" noting the key identification features.
Pj
Nov 21, 2015 Pj rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite. Colorful glossy photos...though, little on the heavy side! Love how it has pictures of seasonal and maturity plumage!
Beth
Apr 17, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
I am a total bird-nerd, and if you only own one bird field guide (and yes, I recognize that most people have no reason to even own one) this is the one to get. Many field guides are strictly photo images, and for many species, it can be incredibly difficult to get a photo representative of the way the bird actually looks. Others have only drawings, which can emphasize identifying marks, but seldom look enough like the actual bird to be of much use. This book takes real photos and digitally enhan ...more
Joyce Robles
Jun 23, 2014 Joyce Robles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy and rewarding to use
Greta
Aug 24, 2014 Greta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: birding
Good but very similar to Petersons.
Ipso
Dec 01, 2007 Ipso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: amateur birdwatchers
I really love the setup of this book. There's information on distribution, migration patterns, time-of-year to expect to see each bird in your region (via a distribution map for each species), and a description of the call. Images consist of a photo (or two) of each species, with arrowheads pointing to relevant characters, and a bit of tweaking to emphasize salient features (e.g., maybe brightening up a yellow cheek patch)
Allison
Apr 13, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: references
This field guide is great because the pictures actually look like the birds you're trying to spot! It has retouched digital images instead of drawings. Every time I look up a bird I find it quickly and don't have doubts about what it is. It's also great to have both Eastern and Western birds in one compact guide.
Andrew Boyle
Apr 10, 2010 Andrew Boyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great birding guide for beginners and pros alike. The compiled photos that fill the book are all excellent examples of birds as they appear in the field.

This is the first guide I recommend to anyone who asks me for bird guide advice.
Colleen
Jul 18, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Hands down, this is the best field guide for birds I've been able to find. The digitally-enhanced photos make it so much easier to compare birds in the field to birds in the guide. The organization and descriptions are superb, too.
Alison
Jun 07, 2011 Alison added it
Shelves: birds
The first guide (I think) to use digitally-edited photos of birds. I actually never use this one in the field, but it's interesting to compare the photos with what I've seen later on.
Spiderwickgirl Rummell
Jun 21, 2008 Spiderwickgirl Rummell rated it it was amazing
This is very descriptive, and really handy to have if you are an avid bird watcher. It has all real pictures, and plenty of info about the diffarent kinds of birds.
CJ
Jun 22, 2008 CJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
This one is even easier to use than my National Geographic guide, with photos instead of illustrations. Bought this on our roadtrip to CO and it was very handy!!
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to follow. Well organized. The pictures are actual photos that have been enhanced with a computer. Great for beginning birders like myself.
Liz Bromley
Jul 27, 2009 Liz Bromley rated it it was amazing
This book is my constant companion when hiking or traveling. It is so easy to find new birds and the descriptions are always spot on.
Cayr
Mar 23, 2008 Cayr rated it it was amazing
A fantastic field guide for Birds of North America. Well categorized and easy to identify species.
Mandy
Dec 02, 2014 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, by far, my new favorite field guide. Super easy to read, look at, and find birds.
Jonathan
Aug 01, 2007 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
I haven't compared it with it's competitors, but this is small, well-organized and comprehensive.
Lisa
Mar 06, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
My main birding book. I find the pictures helpful and the layout well designed.
Michelle
Apr 15, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really great resource. using for refrence guide in college courses and it is very helpful
Nora
Jan 14, 2012 Nora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to identify birds
Excellent field guide -- use it every time I go birding.
Tammy
Feb 11, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
How to easily identify birds in my area.
Keith Ford
Very good guide.
Tony Iovino
Tony Iovino rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Bill Mathis
Bill Mathis rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Erin Shukait
Erin Shukait rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jan Ortiz
Jan Ortiz rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Sandra Lesch
Sandra Lesch rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
  • Birder's Handbook: A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds
  • Sibley's Birding Basics
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • The Warbler Guide
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • Collins Bird Guide
  • The Birds of Heaven: Travels with Cranes
  • A Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs: Northeastern and north-central United States and southeastern and south-central Canada
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather
  • Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders
  • Hawks in Flight: The Flight Identification of North American Migrant Raptors

Kaufman Field Guides (4 books)
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America