Start by marking “Once Upon A Time: Treasury Of Modern Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Once Upon A Time: Treasury Of Modern Fairy Tales

Once Upon A Time: Treasury Of Modern Fairy Tales

Ten of the top writers of fantasy present their views of the ways and byways of fairyland:
ISAAC ASIMOV -- A most unusual knight meets an even more unusual dragon.
TERRY BROOKS -- A boy and an elf discover courage conquers more than monsters.
C.J. CHERRYH -- Three wishes -- and the strangest love story ever told.
LESTER DEL REY -- The little princess didn't really believe in a
Published (first published October 23rd 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon A Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon A Time

Nov 20, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of the Library
Picked it up on a whim and was delighted to find an interesting and varied collection that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hard pressed to choose a favorite, Prince Delightful made me laugh out loud and startle the dogs; Imaginary friends is one I would have loved to read to my children when they were little; Gwydion and the Dragon had a very satisfying ending; Thistledown was wonderfully heartwarming and the rest were equally great. Definitely a great read for anyone who enjoys fantasy and fairy tales.
Feb 19, 2016 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
I actually rate this 3 1/2 stars. Most of the stories were quite good, though a few were too slow for my taste. I did find a couple new authors that I plan to pursue.
Warren Rochelle
Mar 26, 2016 Warren Rochelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tales were never meant to be the exclusive purview of childhood. As Lester Del Rey notes in the Foreword to this collection, "the gate to fairyland should never be closed to anyone because of age and adulthood. So "to open it wide in welcome," he and co-editor, Risa Kessler "decided to assemble this book. "In it [they have collected stories of highly sophisticated skill, but with a sense of wonder and the love of myths and magic that were found in the classic fairy stories--truly modern fa ...more
Apr 14, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I placed a hold on this book to get it after someone else was reading it, but as soon as I read the discription in the preface saying this was a collection for older audiances who enjoy Fairy Tales, I couldn't wait for my chance to read it! Another bonus is one of the stories is by my favorite fantasy author Anne McCaffery! :0)

Updated 4/10/09:
Well, now that I have finished this priceless collection, I have to say Anne MacCaffery's was not my favorite. I l
Sandra Strange
This collection of fairy tales embraces all of the usual conventions, including fairy godmothers, unicorns, changelings, dragons and doughty princes and princesses galore. They're by the best of the fantasy authors of the 90's, including McCaffrey, Asimov, Brooks, etc. They're slightly updated (no shrinking princesses who need saving), and lots of fun to read.

Bought when it was a new release (early 90s) b/c it has a novella by ANNE McCAFFREY!
Oct 09, 2014 Shadallark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was the second time I read this book. This time I read it to my youngest at bedtime (took us about three months of inconsistent bedtime reading).

I loved most of these stories even the second time through and my youngest enjoyed them all. Two or three of the stories in this collection really resonated with me and I could come back and read them again and again.

I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for some modern fairy tales; not just for children.
I bought this to read to my sister's kids and never got around to it.

Today, I was searching for some books-on-cd to listen to in the car and stumbled across an interesting fact. The first story (in chronological order) in Terry Brooks' "Shanarra" series is a short story titled "Imaginary Friends". It can be found in the "Once Upon A Time" anthology (subtitled "A Treasury of Modern Fairy Tales") and was sitting on my shelf since around 1991!
Michael Fitzgerald
May 20, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Wish these were better. Several don't really fit the "fairy tale" description.
Apr 16, 2010 Darya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is edited by Lester Del Rey and Risa Kessler. It is a collection of Modern Fairy tales from authors such as Isaac Asimov, Terry Brooks, C.J. Cherryh, Lester del Rey, Susan Dexter, Wayland Drew, Barbara Hambly, Katherine Kurtz, AnneMcCaffrey, and Lawrence Watt-Evans. Illustrated by Michael Pangrazio.

Delightfully modern and witty fairy tales.
James Hecker
Jun 16, 2012 James Hecker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book of wonderful stories. I would read these stories to my kids when they were in their young teens. Now in their mid to late twenties they still remember fondly reading this together on vacation and the image on the cover that takes you into the worlds inside.

Sarah Hofhine
Aug 29, 2008 Sarah Hofhine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a sci/fi fan this is for you, and if not it's still for you! 10 of today's top sci-fi authors wrote short stories, modern fairy tales, and they're just so cute and clever and entertaining. I mean, who doesn't love Isaac Asimov and Anne McCaffrey?
Jun 14, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story collections can be a mixed bag, but this is a nice mix of unique, cute, clever "fairy tale" style stories by authors that are well known and appreciated for a reason. The illustrations are awesome, too,
Feb 24, 2010 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess I have this book only because I love looking at thie pictures (one fore every story). The short stories were ok. Nothing special. But it's worth finding just to look at the pictures.
Darya Kowalski
Dec 31, 2012 Darya Kowalski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is refreshing. It is full of modern day fairy tales that are witty and new. It also has graphics that are jaw-dropping. I loved it so much, it was the Christmas gift I gave to everyone.
Mar 17, 2011 Chance rated it really liked it
Loved most of the stories in this book. Asimov's fairy tale was by far the best in the book, and McCaffrey's was to me the dullest, but they were all quick good reads.
Bryan Mcquirk
Dec 24, 2012 Bryan Mcquirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories and wonderful illustrations.
Troy Erickson
Fantastic anthology!
dawn helms
dawn helms rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Dawn M Fryauff
Dawn M Fryauff marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Jeremy added it
Oct 08, 2016
Resonarefibris is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2016
Trista marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Sérgio Vinícius
Sérgio Vinícius marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Miranda Agpaoa
Miranda Agpaoa marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
  • Black Swan, White Raven
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • Tarot Fantastic
  • Faery
Lester del Rey was an American science fiction author and editor. Del Rey is especially famous for his juvenile novels such as those which are part of the Winston Science Fiction series, and for Del Rey Books, the fantasy and science fiction branch of Ballantine Books edited by Lester del Rey and his fourth wife Judy-Lynn del Rey.

aka Philip St. John
aka Eric van Lihn
aka Erik van Lhin
aka Kenneth Wri
More about Lester del Rey...