Start by marking “The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats: A Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats: A Fairy Tale

The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats: A Fairy Tale

When a mother goat leaves her seven kids at home, a hungry wolf disguises himself as their returning mother and gobbles whole all but the youngest kid. But the mother goat thinks up an ingenious way to save all of her children and punish the wolf — by sewing rocks into his stomach!
Published September 1st 2001 by Abbeville Press (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats

Manny
Continuing my Italian studies, I read this translation of the classic story while waiting for our flight to Adelaide, and was reminded of the wonderful passage from the middle section. The wolf has already made an unsuccessful attempt to enter the house of the seven little kids, but been betrayed by his hairy black paw. In the original:
So lief er zum Müller und sprach: "Streu mir weißes Mehl auf meine Pfote." Der Müller dachte: Der Wolf will einen betrügen, und weigerte sich; aber der Wolf sprac
Melika Khoshnezhad
داستانى كه ما با عنوان شنگول و منگول و حبه ى انگور شنيديم، با اين تفاوت كه اينجا بچه هاى بز ٧ تا هستند، و اسم هم ندارند. چيزى كه براى من نسخه ى برادران گريم و با تمام نسخه هاى ديگه ى داستان هايى كه در كودكى خونديم متفاوت مى كنه، فضاى تاريك داستان هاست و نا اميديه كه انگار نسبت به دنيا دارن. هرجا شخصيتى در داستان كار بدى مى كنه ياداورى مى كنن كه دنيا همين جوريه و نبايد انتظار بيشترى داشت.
Ahmed  Ejaz
A Fairy Tale

OVERVIEW

The mother goat leaves her seven kids at home and goes to the forest. She tells her kids that don't open the door if the wolf comes while she is gone. But unfortunately wolf tricks them and succeeds in entering the house. He eats 6 kids and leave the one kid as he cannot find him. When the mother goat comes, he tells her what has happened. In furious state, she finds the wolf, sleeping and her kids are alive in the wolf's tummy. She cut the wolf's tummy with scissor,

Greta is Erikasbuddy
A mother goat tells her kids she's going into town to get some food. I guess she doesn't want to take her goat kids to Publix cuz there are like 7 of them so instead she's all like "Don't answer the door cuz there's a wolf out there and he's got a rough voice and black paws and will want to eat you."

So, instead of like you know, of course the wolf is gonna come by and trick the kids and eat the kids there is one survivor who hides in the clock case and Mom Goat finds him when she returns to a me
Karrie
Apr 11, 2015 Karrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folktales
Classic fable of gluttony told with sweet illustrations. Little hide and seek page for read alongs. Biggest criticism is that the kids (baby goats) look too much like kittens.
Wren | WrensReads
I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

This story reminds me a lot of Little Red Riding Hood. The wol
Samantha
When their mother goes into the forest to gather some food, seven kids (baby goats) are instructed to beware the wolf who will surely eat them all up. The kids do a good job of minding their mother's orders, but the wolf tricks them and then eats 6 of them whole.

When Mother comes back it is up to the last little kid and herself to rescue the babies from the wolf's belly and make sure he doesn't bother anyone else ever again.

A dark story indeed, but one with a happy ending (assuming you're rooti
Meltha
Mar 12, 2015 Meltha rated it really liked it
This shows how Little Red Riding Hood and the Three Little Pigs are both related stories that go back to this version, in which a wolf breaks into a house through trickery, eats six of the seven kids, and then falls asleep while the mother goat snips open his stomach and replaces her (still living) children with rocks, which kills the wolf. It's almost mind-bending how the two stories merge here. While the story itself would probably be a bit too much for very young children despite the childlik ...more
Ruth
Jan 28, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
This little fairy tale figured prominently in my family's oral history. My mother told it (not read it) to us often as kids. So when I saw the small hardcover version of it in a bookstore several years ago, I snapped it up. The tale itself is the typical 'ingenuity and goodness trump greed and selfishness' fable, and the wolf is certainly bested by the wits of the goats of the title. The watercolor illustrations are truly charming. Warms the inner-kid heart.
Jorge Martinez
Apr 23, 2014 Jorge Martinez rated it really liked it
This fable is a dark and twisted story of deceit and revenge. It is a gruesome tale that involves six little goats getting swallowed by a wold and then the wolf gets cut open and inserted with rocks whole in his slumber. The story ends with the wolf encountering a miserable drowning death while the little goats chant happiness for this occurrence. Now this, is quite the enjoyable tale.
Suvi
Mar 28, 2015 Suvi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibby2015
Susi ja seitsemän pientä kiliä
Lasten keskus 2015, 9789522881779

Kuvitus on omaan silmään hieman vanhanaikaisen oloista (muistan omat lapsuuden kuvakirjat 80-90-lukujen taitteesta). Grimmin veljesten sadun pohjalta tehty kuvakirja.
Meowkel
Well. Some parts made me feel like I've heard this story before. *coughs* Little Red Cap *coughs*
Janis Lai
Apr 12, 2015 Janis Lai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to hear this story again
Sylvia
Sep 05, 2014 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A board book for children in German.
Nathan Crowe
Aug 19, 2016 Nathan Crowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
that was fucked up. It was like the movie Hostel... but for kids.
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Maya Marcek
Maya Marcek rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Jad Abdeen
Jad Abdeen rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Rikke
Rikke rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
vorbore
vorbore rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2010
Andrea Wehren
Andrea Wehren rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Missy
Missy rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Farisa
Farisa rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Svjetlana
Svjetlana rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2009
Amaranta
Amaranta rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Christmas Wombat
  • Tom Thumb
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • A Frog Prince
  • Šuma Striborova
  • My Milk Toof: The Adventures of ickle and Lardee
  • Жёлтый туман (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #5)
  • Sekolah Sihir (The Floods, #2)
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • Bijeli jelen
  • Ferda mravenec
  • My Goodnight Book
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...