The Red Wolf

The Red Wolf

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Roselupin has had quite enough of being locked away in her tower room. Her father the king thinks he needs to protect her from the wild and dangerous world outside, but Roselupin knows better. So when she receives a mysterious gift on her seventh birthday, Roselupin uses it as her ticket out of the tower and into the woods, where she howls and dances all day long—and surpr...more
Published November 13th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

Stephanie Sesic
I loved the story of the young, red-haired princess Roselupin, confined to a tower by her overly protective father, the king. When a golden chest full of yarn is discovered “For Roselupin,” with the message that she should “Knit what you want,” the king suggests that she knit him a nice scarf. But Roselupin takes all the red yarn and knits herself a wolf suit, which when she put it on, causes her to grow into a real, enormous red wolf. She escapes from the tower and is appeased with food from th...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Brimming with mystique and echoes of Sendak, this fresh fairy tale subtly, yet powerfully, casts light on the costs of safety and the value of freedom. Our whole family is entranced by this fabulous book.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Korinne Sackela
I liked the story-line and the creative names to go along with this fairy tale story. It was really relatable even though it has a fairy tale feel. A lot of children probably disagree with their parents and it's added humor to see that she found a way to get rid of the father that had her all locked up.
Dawn Draper
Mediocre fairy tale. The story started as interestingly, had a strong rise of action and even climax but then it plummeted to a cruel abrupt death. It was like the author got called to dinner and just dropped his pencil.
Sherry
Inspired by "Where The Wild Things Are", both in story and illustration, with an old-fashioned fairy-tale quality married with a "gotcha back" ending. Very enjoyable read - for both adults and for kids aged 4-10.
Nerd-Light-Books
I really like this unique tale! And I like that the heroine saves herself from being locked in the tower. This is a fun book to read with a little one. I enjoyed doing a silly accent for the king. :-)
Catherine
Love this story of a little red-haired princess who escapes her extremely overbearing, overprotective father with the help of a mysterious, magical box of yarn. fantastic illustrations, too.
Miri
Best. Princess book. Ever. And I really liked this review of it.
Tricia
fun fairy tale about a girl locked in a tower to protect her from the world who escapes under the guise of being a red wolf. may work with preschoolers.
Heather
I love books where the heroine is creative in solving her problems. And I love books involving knitting. This was very cute.
stacy
I loved, loved, loved this book, even more than my daughter. It's a great feminist story w/a little twist, gotta love it!
Knitology
Roselupin, a princess locked in a tower by her overprotective father, uses yarn to knit a red wolf suit to free herself.
Amber
Well loved by my little girls - my favorite detail was the princess 'rescuing' herself from the tower
Shannon Ozirny
Maurice Sendak people will love the shout outs to Where the Wild Things are in this book's illustrations.
Tonee
My children especially love this story when read in character! Such a cute, whimsical book. Love it!
jenna nims
this book was great - i love new fables / fairy tales and this was one I had never read before -
Rhosel Ceballo
Excellent book for read-aloud. Children will find the ending surprising.
Ruth
Reminds me of Sendak's Where the wild things are , but better.
PamEla
Loved it. Way to take charge of destiny princess!
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Gullible's Troubles Elvira Lena Headey 97 Success Facts - Everything You Need to Know about Lena Headey Pearson Health Professional's Drug Guide 2013-2014 Just Because: The Story Of The National Movement Of Church Women United In The U. S. A., 1941 Through 1975