Start by marking “Good-Night, Owl!” as Want to Read:

Good-Night, Owl!

Owl couldn't sleep -- not while the bees were buzzing, the crows croaking, the starlings chittering, and the jays creaming. Every time there seemed to be some peace and quite, someone else landed in the hollow tree and woke Owl up again. Would Owl ever get any rest?
Pat Hutchins's simple, cumulative story ends with a surprising twist that will send children off to sleep la
Published April 30th 1990 by Aladdin (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Good-Night, Owl!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good-Night, Owl!

Susan
Sep 22, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Night, Owl was first published in 1972 and, despite the fact that over 40 years have passed, this still looks as fresh and new as it did when it first appeared. One of the things I love about Pat Hutchins work is how timeless it is – a good story is still a good story and this still has huge appeal to children.

This is a simple story and takes place in a single tree, where poor Owl is trying to sleep. However, of course, Owl is trying to sleep during the day, when all of the other trees inha
Veronica Duarte
Feb 22, 2016 Veronica Duarte rated it liked it
By: Pat Hutchins

While in the library, I came across this book and I absolutely loved the illustrations. I decided to sit down for a bit and check out the book.

The orientation of the cover and the rest of the illustrations in the book are in portrait. In the illustrations the reader is allowed to see the tallness of the tree the owl is in. Doing this is a great idea, so the reader is able to see how the owl is being affected by each animal that appears in the story.

The title pag
Alex Butler
May 07, 2015 Alex Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodnight Owl! Is a great and simple book. Owl can't get to sleep, every time he tries a new animal takes shelter in his tree, making their own, unique sound, until finally it becomes night time and all the other animals go to sleep except....

The simplicity of this book means the opportunities for learning are huge and varied, especially in the early years: It has a clear phonics focus, each different sound could be used by a different instrument, helping the children to differentiate between so
Jacklyn
Oct 22, 2014 Jacklyn rated it really liked it
Good-Night, Owl! by Pat Hutchins is a story about how an owl tried to go to sleep but couldn’t. The owl living on a big tree tried to sleep at day time, but it was kept awake by all the noises made by other animals that also lived on the same tree. Therefore, when the night came, the owl screeched and woke everyone up.
It is a really cute and interesting picture book. Fist, the colors used are bright and vivid. The background is kept white to show that it was day time. When the night came, the b
Cindy Sa
Sep 09, 2014 Cindy Sa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is an interesting book for children to read. The Owl like little baby. When all people expect him wake up in the morning, he wants to sleep. However, when all people expect want to fall asleep in the night, he wake up and make all people wake up. It is so amazing that I laughed all the time, when I read this picture book.
In the first page of this book, there are many animals and flowers inside. Among these animals, the owl looks very dull, but others look so happy that they open their mout
Reily Riemersma
Goodnight Owl is a book about an owl who is just trying to get some sleep during the day. But there are many distractions and noises to wear he couldn't get his rest. There were bee's buzzing, crows crowing, and squirrels cracking. The owl just could not find some peace and quiet.

Through this story when you flip through the pages you will notice that the detail gets better and better as many more animals and characters come into play. These characters are symbolized as being huge distractions
Amy
Sep 02, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
“Good-night, Owl!” is a story about an owl tries to sleep but cannot because all of his friends are being too noisy. The squirrels, bees and birds will not stop keeping him awake. Each time that the owl thought he finally had peace and quiet, another noisy critter would land in the trees and wake him up again. The poor sleepy owl though that he would never get any sleep. As nighttime comes and all of the other animals try and sleep, the owl decides to be noisy and wake everyone up.

This story tea
Marinna Bressel
Sep 03, 2014 Marinna Bressel rated it liked it
How is Owl suppose to sleep with all the buzzing, chittering, screaming, creaking and crunching. Owl tried hard to sleep but with all the noise it was impossible. But when night comes and the other animals stop making noises, Owl screeches and keeps all the animals awake.
This story had simple illustrations and well as a simple story line. Every page has the same image of an Owl in a tree and every time an animal makes a noise it joins the other animals in the tree, you could tell the story by
Sarah Adamson
Apr 17, 2016 Sarah Adamson rated it it was amazing
A really fun picture book exploring the meaning of nocturnal!!
My daughter loved this. Also appropriate for younger children who can be really encouraged to make all the relevant noises!!
Nicholas Linsk
Feb 08, 2014 Nicholas Linsk rated it really liked it
Good-Night, Owl is perfect any beginning or elementary reader. The picture used vibrant colors and was very appealing to the eye. From an adult standpoint I realized when the book was finished that there is payback sometimes. The animals, by day, would not allow the nocturnal own to sleep because of all their noise. When it finally came time for the animals to sleep, the owl was wide awake and screeched waking all the animals up. In others words it was payback for all the animals being inconside ...more
Sarah Finley
Feb 24, 2014 Sarah Finley rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book were very consistent, the only thing really changing is animals being added to the pages. The illustrations take up a lot of the pages but the text is still fairly large. The colors are natural colors, sticking with greens, browns, reds, and yellows. There is a lot of onomatopoeia, which keeps the book interesting. The content is pretty easier, for younger readers, but I enjoyed the book and illustrations.
Katie Larson
Feb 20, 2012 Katie Larson rated it liked it
Good-Night, Owl by Pat Hutchins was a great book for primary aged kids. Th book was in portrait format which worked great for this book because every page had a tall tree on it. Looking at the cover it has a color scheme of warm, which seems odd since the title has to do with night time. The font of this book black and simple times new roman. It also is in an odd location on every page, instead of being on the bottom or top of page the words are on the right in the middle of the pages. The pictu ...more
Carol
This is a delightful, timeless book. Its illustrations strongly reflect 1960's and 1970's graphical arts. And how often can one so clearly enjoy visual arts history! It's a treat to share it with my young birder and naturalist. She delights in the animals' activities and noises and frequently asks to have it read to her. A beautiful classic!
Halli
Sep 30, 2014 Halli rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure I read this book when I was a kid-it seemed very familiar when I chose it for my preschool storytime at the library. I used the big book version for storytime so the kids could see the illustrations better. The kids loved making the animal noises!
Katy
Mar 31, 2014 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-easy, nighttime
Owl wants to sleep all day but his woodland friends are busy and noisy. Beautiful folkart-style illustrations compliment a fun animal-sounds story. Good for a read-along or storytime. Unusual animal sounds too.
David
Apr 05, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Good-Night, Owl! by Pat Hutchins, an ALA Notable book, is a simple, cumulative tale of a sleepy owl who is kept awake all day by bees, a squirrel, crows, a woodpecker, starlings, jays, a cuckoo, a robin, sparrows, and doves who each make a different sound. Owl provides a twist at the end.

Children enjoy making the sounds that keep owl awake. They learn the concept of nocurnal animals. The illustrations are a highlight, with Owl's eyes indicating each new animal(s) who make noise. This is one of
Jana
Sep 18, 2014 Jana rated it liked it
Cute story for primary kids. I can certainly relate to the poor owl just trying to get a good night sleep. The ending is very satisfying. The illustrations are terrific. Fun book.
Adrienne
Feb 28, 2014 Adrienne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor little owl can't get any sleep but then gets his revenge. Kids will enjoy all the sounds in the book and the surprise ending.
Carlie Engels
Feb 19, 2012 Carlie Engels rated it really liked it
This book is intended for an audience of primary readers. The book is hard covered and has a portrait shape. This is because the story focuses on a tall tree and the different animals living on it. The book has a dedication reading, "To Morgan's Grandpa".The illustrations are very well done and colorful. They are full bleed illustrations and are double page spreads. The type face in the story is large and black. The interplay between the text and illustrations is enhancing. The author uses the o ...more
Bree
May 10, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
gorgeous art
common birds -- almost all in our own backyard!
birds keep owl awake and in the end he wakes them all up
Ray
May 22, 2015 Ray rated it liked it
A very simple read with some nice art work. I love owls and so does my daughter.
Kristen
May 21, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations, lots of fun sounds, aND THAT ENDING YOU GUYS.
Cheyenne
A cute story with animal sounds to interest young readers.
Clementine
Sep 22, 2016 Clementine rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children-s, 2016
Repetition works great for toddler story time
Diana
May 30, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
Adorable vintage illustrations and a cute story!
Mfoot
Patty
Jan 23, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture
Lindsay
In this story, poor Owl can't go to sleep because everyone is making too much noise, but he gets them all back by waking them up at night.

This is a great story to use in story time settings! The kids will have fun learning the names of different types of birds and making the different bird calls. I've told the story in Spanish for both Spanish and bilingual story times a few times using flannel board art. I've only ever used it for an owl-themed program, but it can be used for several different
Dumle Vure
Jun 10, 2013 Dumle Vure rated it liked it
Shelves: pat-hutchins
I like the book because the author used some silly word in describing what happen every time owl wanted to sleep. I also like the fact that Pat Hutchins went in detail of what happen every time owl tried to sleep. I definitely recommend this book to any one that like things that happen in sequence.

L.E: I will set up a section where the children will play a pretend sleep and every time someone what to sleep will ring a bell to keep them from sleeping.
Imani Hampton
Sep 18, 2012 Imani Hampton rated it liked it
Good night owl is a book where children can learn differnt noises. This book also teaches how important it is for others to be quit when others are sleeping. Good night owl can be a great bed time store to help children with the transition of being awake and preparing their body to sleep.

Learning activities: Teacher could put children in a large group and play different animal sounds and see how many the children get.
  • Mouse Mess
  • This Little Chick
  • Duck Sock Hop
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • The Happy Egg
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • Who is the Beast?