Start by marking “Good-Night, Owl!” as Want to Read:
Good-Night, Owl!

Good-Night, Owl!

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Owl couldn't sleep -- not while the bees were buzzing, the crows croaking, the starlings chittering, and the jays creaming. Every time there seemed to be some peace and quite, someone else landed in the hollow tree and woke Owl up again. Would Owl ever get any rest?
Pat Hutchins's simple, cumulative story ends with a surprising twist that will send children off to sleep la
Published April 30th 1990 by Aladdin (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Good-Night, Owl!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good-Night, Owl!

Jacklyn
Good-Night, Owl! by Pat Hutchins is a story about how an owl tried to go to sleep but couldn’t. The owl living on a big tree tried to sleep at day time, but it was kept awake by all the noises made by other animals that also lived on the same tree. Therefore, when the night came, the owl screeched and woke everyone up.
It is a really cute and interesting picture book. Fist, the colors used are bright and vivid. The background is kept white to show that it was day time. When the night came, the b
Cindy Sa
This is an interesting book for children to read. The Owl like little baby. When all people expect him wake up in the morning, he wants to sleep. However, when all people expect want to fall asleep in the night, he wake up and make all people wake up. It is so amazing that I laughed all the time, when I read this picture book.
In the first page of this book, there are many animals and flowers inside. Among these animals, the owl looks very dull, but others look so happy that they open their mout
Reily Riemersma
Goodnight Owl is a book about an owl who is just trying to get some sleep during the day. But there are many distractions and noises to wear he couldn't get his rest. There were bee's buzzing, crows crowing, and squirrels cracking. The owl just could not find some peace and quiet.

Through this story when you flip through the pages you will notice that the detail gets better and better as many more animals and characters come into play. These characters are symbolized as being huge distractions
Amy
“Good-night, Owl!” is a story about an owl tries to sleep but cannot because all of his friends are being too noisy. The squirrels, bees and birds will not stop keeping him awake. Each time that the owl thought he finally had peace and quiet, another noisy critter would land in the trees and wake him up again. The poor sleepy owl though that he would never get any sleep. As nighttime comes and all of the other animals try and sleep, the owl decides to be noisy and wake everyone up.

This story tea
Marinna Bressel
How is Owl suppose to sleep with all the buzzing, chittering, screaming, creaking and crunching. Owl tried hard to sleep but with all the noise it was impossible. But when night comes and the other animals stop making noises, Owl screeches and keeps all the animals awake.
This story had simple illustrations and well as a simple story line. Every page has the same image of an Owl in a tree and every time an animal makes a noise it joins the other animals in the tree, you could tell the story by
Nicholas Linsk
Good-Night, Owl is perfect any beginning or elementary reader. The picture used vibrant colors and was very appealing to the eye. From an adult standpoint I realized when the book was finished that there is payback sometimes. The animals, by day, would not allow the nocturnal own to sleep because of all their noise. When it finally came time for the animals to sleep, the owl was wide awake and screeched waking all the animals up. In others words it was payback for all the animals being inconside ...more
Sarah Finley
The illustrations in this book were very consistent, the only thing really changing is animals being added to the pages. The illustrations take up a lot of the pages but the text is still fairly large. The colors are natural colors, sticking with greens, browns, reds, and yellows. There is a lot of onomatopoeia, which keeps the book interesting. The content is pretty easier, for younger readers, but I enjoyed the book and illustrations.
Katie Larson
Good-Night, Owl by Pat Hutchins was a great book for primary aged kids. Th book was in portrait format which worked great for this book because every page had a tall tree on it. Looking at the cover it has a color scheme of warm, which seems odd since the title has to do with night time. The font of this book black and simple times new roman. It also is in an odd location on every page, instead of being on the bottom or top of page the words are on the right in the middle of the pages. The pictu ...more
Carol
This is a delightful, timeless book. Its illustrations strongly reflect 1960's and 1970's graphical arts. And how often can one so clearly enjoy visual arts history! It's a treat to share it with my young birder and naturalist. She delights in the animals' activities and noises and frequently asks to have it read to her. A beautiful classic!
Halli
I'm pretty sure I read this book when I was a kid-it seemed very familiar when I chose it for my preschool storytime at the library. I used the big book version for storytime so the kids could see the illustrations better. The kids loved making the animal noises!
Katy Bennett
Owl wants to sleep all day but his woodland friends are busy and noisy. Beautiful folkart-style illustrations compliment a fun animal-sounds story. Good for a read-along or storytime. Unusual animal sounds too.
David
Good-Night, Owl! by Pat Hutchins, an ALA Notable book, is a simple, cumulative tale of a sleepy owl who is kept awake all day by bees, a squirrel, crows, a woodpecker, starlings, jays, a cuckoo, a robin, sparrows, and doves who each make a different sound. Owl provides a twist at the end.

Children enjoy making the sounds that keep owl awake. They learn the concept of nocurnal animals. The illustrations are a highlight, with Owl's eyes indicating each new animal(s) who make noise. This is one of
Jana
Cute story for primary kids. I can certainly relate to the poor owl just trying to get a good night sleep. The ending is very satisfying. The illustrations are terrific. Fun book.
Adrienne
Poor little owl can't get any sleep but then gets his revenge. Kids will enjoy all the sounds in the book and the surprise ending.
Carlie Engels
This book is intended for an audience of primary readers. The book is hard covered and has a portrait shape. This is because the story focuses on a tall tree and the different animals living on it. The book has a dedication reading, "To Morgan's Grandpa".The illustrations are very well done and colorful. They are full bleed illustrations and are double page spreads. The type face in the story is large and black. The interplay between the text and illustrations is enhancing. The author uses the o ...more
Bree
Notes:
gorgeous art
common birds -- almost all in our own backyard!
birds keep owl awake and in the end he wakes them all up
Cheyenne
A cute story with animal sounds to interest young readers.
Diana
Adorable vintage illustrations and a cute story!
Patricia
Lindsay
In this story, poor Owl can't go to sleep because everyone is making too much noise, but he gets them all back by waking them up at night.

This is a great story to use in story time settings! The kids will have fun learning the names of different types of birds and making the different bird calls. I've told the story in Spanish for both Spanish and bilingual story times a few times using flannel board art. I've only ever used it for an owl-themed program, but it can be used for several different
Dumle Vure
I like the book because the author used some silly word in describing what happen every time owl wanted to sleep. I also like the fact that Pat Hutchins went in detail of what happen every time owl tried to sleep. I definitely recommend this book to any one that like things that happen in sequence.

L.E: I will set up a section where the children will play a pretend sleep and every time someone what to sleep will ring a bell to keep them from sleeping.
Imani Hampton
Good night owl is a book where children can learn differnt noises. This book also teaches how important it is for others to be quit when others are sleeping. Good night owl can be a great bed time store to help children with the transition of being awake and preparing their body to sleep.

Learning activities: Teacher could put children in a large group and play different animal sounds and see how many the children get.
Lara
I like the concept of this one, simple though it is: an owl is trying to sleep during the day, but a bunch of other birds (and some squirrels and bees) are making too much noise. Then night falls and the owl makes a bunch of noise him or herself. The art is...not real pretty--lots of oranges and browns and yellows, and I kind of feel like it goes on a little too long. But all the bird noises are fun.
Alana Smith
Initially I thought Good-Night Owl was going to be boring. The illustrations looked unique, but a little dated. The more I read, the more I appreciated each picture. The colors as well as the collage effect went perfect with the story. I don't know why but this book made me think of the seventies era. It made me think of the antique kitchens that were brown and yellow.
A wonderful, simple book. The other animals keep owl up all night with their noises. At last, night falls & owl is able to wake everyone with his screech.
Vivian
Having trouble with noisy nights? Share this story with your little one. Poor owl is trying to sleep but all the other birds of his tree are making noise all day. Children love making the bird sounds with you. But when everyone else goes to sleep at night owl gets a turn at making noise for them!
Dana
repetetive story. cute. highlights characters with direction owl's eyes are pointing.
i decided to pick up this book because i liked the patterns in the artwork. i'm inspired to create artworks with patterns of other objects inside them. a collage of sorts.
the book has some kitsch aesthetic appeal as well.
Oznasia
Kids love to join in when you read them noisy books. Owl wants to sleep all through the day but all the other inhabitants of the tree are too noisy. Simple repetitive text and wild but interesting and attractive illustrations make this a wonderful book for reading to prereaders and beginning readers.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 44645 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.1 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Marianne
A very cute book! Kids learn different sounds that birds make, they learn about quite and loud, and they learn about nocturnal animals. I also really enjoy the pictures. My son loved this book when I brought it home and wanted an immediate second reading.
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another